Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Lee SL
Lee SL began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
UK Address not recognized by Kindle

I switched my Kindle 3G mailing address to a UK mailing address to order some books from Amazon UK.

It worked fine for a few weeks but last week I started getting messages that I was attempting to buy books for country not registered on my account.

I checked account which stated my country was UK. I switched to US address--switch seemed fine and then switched back to UK address in manage my kindle.

I got a migration letter from Amazon UK, but I still get message that I am attempting to buy books for country other than the one registered to my account when I attempt to order--even though it still shows my home county as UK.

Any suggestions?

thanks

LSL
Lee SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee SL View Post
I switched my Kindle 3G mailing address to a UK mailing address to order some books from Amazon UK.

It worked fine for a few weeks but last week I started getting messages that I was attempting to buy books for country not registered on my account.

I checked account which stated my country was UK. I switched to US address--switch seemed fine and then switched back to UK address in manage my kindle.

I got a migration letter from Amazon UK, but I still get message that I am attempting to buy books for country other than the one registered to my account when I attempt to order--even though it still shows my home county as UK.

Any suggestions?

thanks

LSL
The migration letter makes me think that you have moved to the UK. Is that the case? If so, I would call Kindle Support and talk to them.

If you have not moved to the UK and are trying to get around geographic restrictions then you are probably not going to get around them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
This has happened to many people trying to get round geographic restrictions. Seems Amazon, at times, checks addresses with IP country, and blocks accounts which are suspect. If you have a genuine reason to regularly change your country or need two accounts then call CS.

It's always puzzled me how Amazon cares about country for Kindle, but I have a .com account with a UK address for non-Kindle purchases and it has never been a problem.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It seems like I've heard that your credit card has to be from the country you are trying to register to, also.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can get around that using gift certificates.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Lee SL
Lee SL began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thanks for replies

I was using a former UK address, but I am now in States at least for next few months.

Pretty discouraging attempting to purchase items when I can get good quality pirated editions of the books I wanted to buy from Amazon UK at 1/10th the the cost. I'm not sure why Amazon (not to mention the publisher and author) does not want my money

thanks again.

LSL
Lee SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee SL View Post
I was using a former UK address, but I am now in States at least for next few months.

Pretty discouraging attempting to purchase items when I can get good quality pirated editions of the books I wanted to buy from Amazon UK at 1/10th the the cost. I'm not sure why Amazon (not to mention the publisher and author) does not want my money

thanks again.

LSL
In which case I'd call up Amazon CS and explain this and they should fix it for you.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote