Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #46
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never indicated you were looking for coding examples of how to easily create links to (end|foot)notes.
Well, if I didn´t before I do now.

I will put <section> aside then, but how do I fix it instead? Is there one or several ways?
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Well, if I didn´t before I do now.

I will put <section> aside then, but how do I fix it instead? Is there one or several ways?
I don't quite understand what you mean. There's nothing to "fix" if you remove the section tags. There's just links to your ancillary text (wherever it may be) and links back to the original position. Whether that ancillary text occurs immediately below that paragraph, at the end of the chapter, or at the end of the book is of no consequence from a coding stand-point. Link to an ID/anchor... link back. That's it. There are no tricks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #48
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
BTW, should you decide to put footnotes at the end of chapters, it is worth considering providing a link to jump over them to the next chapter if they are longer than a single page.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why the 'Spec' people have not addressed these kinds of issues by now totally eludes me. We are on the 3rd generation of EPUB fer crin' out loud.
Are these people still using Just CRT's and Paper? Because the design does not seem to consider e-ink (screen refresh) and handhelds (orientation and Aspect ratio) in general.
Spot on. There ought to be coding specified so that footnote text can be entered at the footnote location, and then reading software can render it as best suited for any particular device. It's astonishing that it's not been added to ePub3 and yet we have all the bells and whistles (perhaps literally!) of audio and video support.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #50
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Link to an ID/anchor... link back. That's it. There are no tricks.
No tricks, no Guru. Good news!
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Spot on. There ought to be coding specified so that footnote text can be entered at the footnote location, and then reading software can render it as best suited for any particular device. It's astonishing that it's not been added to ePub3 and yet we have all the bells and whistles (perhaps literally!) of audio and video support.
Does Apple dominate that team?
(I still cringe, Sound and/or motion in basically a Static Text media ) form.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FWIW, I've had a request for a decent hyperlink editor in the dev tracker for Sigil for about 3 or 4 years now. Regrettably it seems now more likely to be realised now than then.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #53
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FWIW, I've had a request for a decent hyperlink editor in the dev tracker for Sigil for about 3 or 4 years now. Regrettably it seems now more likely to be realised now than then.
Do you mean there isn't a decent hyperlink editor in Sigil? Have you looked at the 0.6.0 version? Whether its decent or not is up for others to comment, but there is certainly a way to insert/edit IDs and insert/edit hyperlinks including selecting from existing IDs to link to. Of course if you meant you wished it was available 3-4 years ago, well...

At some point I might look at the possibility to create reverse links more easily (an extra button or a checkbox). And a report to show the existing links is on the todo list as well. So there is always something that can be added, but at the moment it is much easier to create links/footnotes then ever before.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #54
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
but at the moment it is much easier to create links/footnotes then ever before.
A lot.

Quote:
At some point I might look at the possibility to create reverse links more easily (an extra button or a checkbox). And a report to show the existing links is on the todo list as well.
Oh! yes.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you mean there isn't a decent hyperlink editor in Sigil? Have you looked at the 0.6.0 version? Whether its decent or not is up for others to comment, but there is certainly a way to insert/edit IDs and insert/edit hyperlinks including selecting from existing IDs to link to. Of course if you meant you wished it was available 3-4 years ago, well...

At some point I might look at the possibility to create reverse links more easily (an extra button or a checkbox). And a report to show the existing links is on the todo list as well. So there is always something that can be added, but at the moment it is much easier to create links/footnotes then ever before.
No, I didn't know - I'll take a look, thanks! I guess I probably (wrongly) assumed that if there was progress on something logged on the tracker, the system would send me an email about it. That's what it's done before when an issue's been updated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #56
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I didn't know - I'll take a look, thanks! I guess I probably (wrongly) assumed that if there was progress on something logged on the tracker, the system would send me an email about it. That's what it's done before when an issue's been updated.
You can take a quick look at it in the Sigil User Guide chapter on links and footnotes.

There has been, to say the least, quite a few changes for 0.6.0 and the issue list is significantly reduced (I think down to 10 before 0.6.0 came out, but back up a little now ) - in the cleanup a lot of old issues were closed off so it might have been one of those.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #57
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I used to just ignore linking footnotes because it was so much work, but now it works great. Create anchors, then when you want to link, you just click on link button and a list of the existing footnotes comes up. This list keeps you from making mistakes, because if it isn't there you messed up somehow.

One thing it does not do is check to see if you start the id with a number which is not permitted. I understand though, that this check will be in the next update.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #58
GraciousMe
Zealot

I am set now, but beta readers tell me that the backlink of the footnote works only so-so.

Do you have this experience, that going TO the FN works fine, but going BACK to the text does not work as well?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I am set now, but beta readers tell me that the backlink of the footnote works only so-so.

Do you have this experience, that going TO the FN works fine, but going BACK to the text does not work as well?
What does "so-so" mean? If the links/anchors are created correctly they will work (to or from). If the're not created correctly, they won't work. There should be no in-between.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #60
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Some people state that all footnotes should be converted to endnotes for e-books. That simply doesn't work as well for some author's style. Reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels and not having the footnotes "right there" loses something special.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote