Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
fredjb
fredjb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
PE wont startup

The battery is fully loaded, when I slide the on-button on my PE nothing happens!
What can I do to start the PE???
fredjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
On the opposite edge from the power/volume side is a small hole labeled "reset". Gent poke a paperclip in there and it should restart it.

Good luck!
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
fredjb

I pushed the reset button and tried to start the PE, but still not any reaction on the screen. Should the start button slide all the way to the right, or is just a little push needed? I remember just a little slide to the right should do.
What can be wrong???
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Are you sure it's not starting? Sometimes it takes a while when there's just a tiny flashing line at the top (sorry if you know this already!)
Good luck!
Someone had a trick of putting it in the freezer for a bit -- don't know if you want to try that. You might want to search the older posts for that solution and others.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjb View Post
I pushed the reset button and tried to start the PE, but still not any reaction on the screen. Should the start button slide all the way to the right, or is just a little push needed? I remember just a little slide to the right should do.
What can be wrong???
Are you running a stock PE with Android 1.6 Dingo, or did you update to Android 2.2 Ermine? (Entourage pushed a 2.2 beta update to the outside world before they went under. There are extensive threads in the Entourage forums here on getting the files and doing the update.)

How do you know your PE is fully charged?

When was the last time it actually worked, and what if anything was done to it between then and now?

There is a green LED next to the power switch. If it shines solid green, it's charged. If it's plugged into a charger and charging, the LED will blink.)

IIRC, doing a pinhole reset powers off the device. Once you have done so, you need to press the power switch again to turn it on. There will be a delay, then you should see an Entourage Edge screen, with a white dot to the left beneath the type. As the device boots (which can take a bit), the number of dots will increase till there are four, and shortly after you'll see the lock screen. (You will also see a tiny blinking vertical line at the bottom of the LCD screen as this process.)

Make sure you have fully inserted the paper clip (or whatever) in the reset hole. You should feel a tiny click when the switch is pushed. When you slide the power switch, it should slide all the way over.

Let us know what happens.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-03-2015 at 05:39 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
fredjb

Sorry for the late reply, but I am on holyday in Portugal and internet connections are not available or are very bad on most campsites.

I updated the PE some four years ago tot Ermine 2.2.
The battery is fully charged, because the green light is not blinking anymore, it shines solid green.
The last time it worked there was a message on the screen about e-mail not working properly. That was the reason I turned the PE off.
I did the pinhole reset, but the power switch can only be moved halfway the total space to the right.
So possibly it is a hardware problem in the on/off switch????
Old 10-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I am on holyday in Portugal and internet connections are not available or are very bad on most campsites.
Not a problem.

Quote:
I updated the PE some four years ago tot Ermine 2.2.
The battery is fully charged, because the green light is not blinking anymore, it shines solid green.
The last time it worked there was a message on the screen about e-mail not working properly. That was the reason I turned the PE off.
Was there any indication in the on screen message of what the problem with email was?

It would expect the problem to be issues connecting to the network and getting the email. Those issues are unlikely to be hardware related.

Quote:
I did the pinhole reset, but the power switch can only be moved halfway the total space to the right.
So possibly it is a hardware problem in the on/off switch????
Possibly. On my PE, pressing the Power switch so it's halfway to the right edge turns off the LCD screen if it's on. Pressing it all the way to the right brings up an eDGe Options menu, with Silent Mode, Airplane Mode, Power Off and Hibernate as choice. Power Off will shut down the Edge and power it off.

To turn it back one again, I press Power button all the way to the right snf release it. After a few seconds, I see the Pocket eDGe boot up screen, with four dots that appear and light up in turn as booting progresses. (The boot process takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes here.)

If you can't slide the Power switch all the way over, that may explain the failure to successfully boot, and the question is what's blocking it. How was the PE stored? Is there any hint of what might be blocking it?
______
Dennis
Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
fredjb

The PE was always stored in a case, so I suppose the blocking is in the inside. I remember to have seen some years ago a video on youtube about opening a PE and replacing the battery. But now I cannot find the video anymore.
This video could be a great help to find out what is blocking the on/off switch of the PE.
Anyone any idea where to find this video?????
Old 10-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
This video could be a great help to find out what is blocking the on/off switch of the PE.
Anyone any idea where to find this video?????
Does this help? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878
______
Dennis
Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
fredjb

I finally found the courage to open the PE, thanks to your respons and the link you posted. There was a picture which showed how to open the back of the PE.
Once I had opened the back a tiny piece of plastic fell out of it.
The on/off switch did its job how it should be and the PE started!!!

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I finally found the courage to open the PE, thanks to your respons and the link you posted. There was a picture which showed how to open the back of the PE.

Once I had opened the back a tiny piece of plastic fell out of it.
The on/off switch did its job how it should be and the PE started!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your help!!!
You are more than welcome. Did you see any indication of where the tiny piece of plastic came from?

Mine has been behaving itself. There were some speed bumps on the road to getting it fully updated to Android 2.2 and rooted, with the big challenge being finding apps that run under 2.2. A couple of things which do run under 2.2 don't work on the PE, but they were things I could live without.

The configuration is likely pretty well set, as most current apps won't run on it, and I have the basic set I need.
_______
Dennis
Old 10-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #12
fredjb

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

You are more than welcome. Did you see any indication of where the tiny piece of plastic came from?

_______
Dennis
I unscrewed the case on the e-ink side and carefully lifted the circuitboard. One of the connections of the hinge seemed to be broken off.
When I replaced the board I made a mistake not to place the tiny arm on the on/off switch on the right place an broke it .
To repair the hinge I drilled a hole through the case and fix it with a small bolt (with a thin bolthead) and a nut.
Now the PE is functioning as it always has done, exept I have to avoid it to switch off with a low battery.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Quote:
I unscrewed the case on the e-ink side and carefully lifted the circuitboard. One of the connections of the hinge seemed to be broken off.
When I replaced the board I made a mistake not to place the tiny arm on the on/off switch on the right place an broke it .
That's the challenge in small electronics repair. Been there. Broke that...
Quote:
To repair the hinge I drilled a hole through the case and fix it with a small bolt (with a thin bolthead) and a nut.

Quote:
Now the PE is functioning as it always has done, except I have to avoid it to switch off with a low battery.
Mine tends to live on the charger when not in use, so that's not likely to become a problem. (I made it a reflex to charge devices when not in use.) The only times I've been bitten by low battery have been on my other Android tablet, when I turned on Wifi to connect, and neglected to turn it off again. Oops...
______
Dennis