Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Sub folder in "Personal Documents"

I am a little bit confused by this "folder hack". Can you create sub-folders in the "Personal Documents" when connected to a computer? What does this "folder hack" really mean?

Thanks
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I am a little bit confused by this "folder hack". Can you create sub-folders in the "Personal Documents" when connected to a computer? What does this "folder hack" really mean?
You can create subfolders when connected to a computer either way (with or without the hack).

The difference is that the default behavior of the DR800 UI will not show you the folders. It will just find all of the books and present them to you in one list. When you enable the "hack", it will let you browse the folder structure on the DR800 UI instead of giving them to you all in a flat list.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
CoolDragon
Addict

Very nice, Shaggy, thank you very much!

By the way, I am assuming that you have to use a micro-SD card reader on the PC to edit /System/dr.ini file? If you just connect DR800 to a Linux box, can you mount the complete file system on the micro-SD card?

Last edited by CoolDragon; 03-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
Nope CoolDragon, you can just connect your DR800 to a windows PC, Mac or Linux box and it will behave like any other USB stick or external disc.

Tip: if you're on a windows PC use wordpad rather than notepad to edit the dr.ini file
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
CoolDragon
Addict

Thanks pauli. Looks like I need to find a micro-SD reader. Also thanks for the wordpad tip, I only emacs so should be fine.
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
CoolDragon
Addict

OK, no need for card reader. The "System" directory is shown in the external drive.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
You can also look for the navigation hack I did (CTBPlus) in this forum. It provides a toggle for folder support to each section of the iRex (Books, News, Images, etc).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
OK, no need for card reader. The "System" directory is shown in the external drive.
Right. The "System" directory is not part of the OS filesystem, it's on the card. Kind of confusing at first.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:

Thanks
And, CoolDragon, if I may add some more comments on the "folder hack":

[I've attached photos - the paragraph numbers below correspond to the photos]

1. The hack gives you access to the SD card directly from your home screen on the DR800 (I've run Kolenka's CTB PLus file, which puts my SD card right after the personal folders).

2. When you tap the SD card icon, you go to its menu. As you can see, there is a folder for Books and for "Digital Editions" (BTW - all these folders show up on your PC).

3. If you tap on Books [after tapping on the SD card icon] - you can go to any sub folders that you created yourself (with your PC). Calibre will allow you to send books to the device, but you'll get a bunch of folders based on each author you have. So, I've made sub-sub folders which are by genre.

4. This is a view inside the Digital Editions folder. As I've already "returned" my library books, they don't show here. But - they do if you have any books downloaded from the library. Odd thing is, while they'll show up if you access the IREX home page Book icon, they WON'T show inside your Books icon listed on the SD card ... they have their own folder.

The cool part about this is that you can have ALL your books listed in IREX's book icon (accessible from the main page). Then, if you wish, you can go to the SD Card icon and access your books from within your own folders or from the Digital Editions folder.

Hope this helps for an explanation. From someone who has used the Sony PRS300, this is just as good a system (maybe better) for keeping track of your books on the reader. Plus, it's faster to access, which is why I like the stylus touchscreen.

Marilyn

P.S. And, if you are interested in library books, it is a cinch to use this reader. Merely download the books with the Adobe Digital Editions software and then side load the books to the reader (PDF, ePub or both doesn't matter). It'll automatically put the books in the Digital Editions folder on your SD card - while STILL allowing you direct access from the Book icon on your home page (the filing/index system is invisible to you - while still being accessible).

P.P.S. Sorry to ramble on - I just really like this reader! It's fast and the size is awesome for reading novels on ... !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	47043   Click image for larger version

Name:	SD Card From Home.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	47044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Books From SD Card.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	47045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Editions from SD Card.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	47046  
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
redlight
redlight began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Hi, I am trying to implement the folder hack for the DR800 so that subdirectories can be displayed. When I add the line: /apps/er/sys/ctb/showdir=sdcard
to the dr.ini file and then turn on my device, the dr.ini file has automatically been renamed to dr.ini.old and the line I added has been removed.
Does anyone know how I can get around this problem?
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
don't use notepad to edit the file, but wordpad or a hex editor... notepad sometimes adds line breaks that are not recognized by the DR800... make sure you add them in the [registry] part of the dr.ini file
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
redlight
redlight began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Hi Pauli, thanks for your tip. I used Wordpad instead of Notepad and inserted the line:/apps/er/sys/ctb/showdir=sdcard and it worked! Below the root directory "sdcard" I can see the standard directories which are usually top level directories (books, help, images, personal documents and sysem) and below "books" I can see the subdirectory "manuals" which I have created.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
Hi Pauli, thanks for your tip. I used Wordpad instead of Notepad and inserted the line:/apps/er/sys/ctb/showdir=sdcard and it worked! Below the root directory "sdcard" I can see the standard directories which are usually top level directories (books, help, images, personal documents and sysem) and below "books" I can see the subdirectory "manuals" which I have created.
Just to clarify, you don't have to create your folders as sub-directories of the "books" folder. You can put folders anywhere - in the root directory, inside other folders etc. But you will only see them as folders when you go to SDCard from the home screen - if their contents are, for example, books, then you will also see them (the contents) as a flat list when you go to "Books" from the Home screen.

Hope that didn't confuse you even more!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote