Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
How fast should Kobo Touch syncing be? Mine seems slow

What is my Kobo Touch DOING when it is syncing? It seems so slow!

I just synced via Kobo desktop.

The progress in the box in the bottom left corner of Kobo Desktop was stated as follows (with the time it took in brackets):

"The Hunger Games 1 of 3" (8 mins) (I already have this on my Kobo and finished reading it last week and have synced since finishing so why is it syncing this book??)
"Loading content" (30 secs)
"The War of the Worlds 2 of 3" (30 secs)
"The Invisible Man 3 of 3" (1 min)
"The Hunger Games 1 of 3" (1 min)
"The War of the Worlds 2 of 3" (30 secs)
"The Invisible Man 3 of 3" (30 secs)

FINISHED

Why does it scroll through the books twice? Is the first time the book being downloaded from the Kobo website, and the second time it is being added to my Kobo? This doesn't explain why it downloaded The Hunger Games seeing as I did that a few weeks ago already.

Alternatively, I downloaded an ePUB ACSM link from Kobo website, added it to ADE and it uploaded to my Kobo in seconds.

So in summary, any ideas as to why syncing via Kobo desktop take so much longer than uploading via ADE? And why did Kobo Desktop spend 8 minutes syncing "The Hunger Games" when I already had it? (I have the "Reading Life" turned off)

Thanks
Queen of Maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember... the Desktop is syncing books in kepub format, so even if you had the book already via ADE on the Touch, Desktop will resync in the kepub format (and, if not already done will re-download that from Kobo).

Now, what I have never paid attention to is how the Desktop to Touch sync happens; I mean I'm not sure if it uses the data already on the PC (and within Desktop) or if it redownloads from Kobo to go to the Touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you sign out of the desktop and then sign in again it resyncs all the books in the desktop app each time. The last time I did a factory reset it took about 25 minutes to load 43 books. Not fast, but I was OK with it. If I kept all of the books I purchased from Kobo in the desktop app, I'd be pulling my hair out.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
So if I keep the Kobo Desktop empty of books that should avoid unnecessary syncing.

I just went to delete a book from Kobo Desktop and its said "this will delete the book from your eReader" presumably because the sync works both ways hence the term. So I'm not sure how I can keep a book on my Kobo Touch without it being on my Kobo Desktop...unless I don't use Kobo Desktop at all and add EPubs via ADEand bypass Kobo Desktop?

Last edited by Queen of Maps; 09-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Queen of Maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No, the books will not resync unless you sign out of your kobo account on the desktop and then sign back in. I don't sign out, so books do not resync. Starting over from factory reset starts you with zero books on your reader, so syncing everything is necessary. Using a different reader means everything will sync initially.

And yes, if you delete a book from your Touch or from another device or app (including the Kobo desktop), it deletes on any other app or device the next time you perform a sync with that app or device. This includes both the desktop and the HTML5 read.kobobooks.com browser app.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
sync