Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Macbook Air Explained!

It too a week, but someone finally figured out why aPple developed the mAcbook aIr. According to TUAW,
Quote:
I think the Air is, and is really intended to be, a secondary computer. It's serious enough to get real work done on while you're away from home or office, but it's not a primary production machine in my view.

It may turn out, like in the case of the original iPod, that Apple is really creating a new market here that we just don't quite understand yet.
Basically the market for the aIr is people with more money than sense.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I'd like to be one of those
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Yes, I would also like to belong to that group, but even then I would not buy that "Air" thingy...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If an aPple fanboy is called a machead, would someone who owns the newest mAcbook be called an airhead?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have to say, i really like the Macbook Air. Even if its not everything you could get for that price. I really like the fact that its only 1.3 kg and has a 13 inch screen. I do like that apple uses these magnetic connectors, so you dont ruin your laptop when tripping over it. If it really has 5hours to work with, that would be really nice. Idont need an optical disc. Dont have one on my current laptop either. I really do like that the MAC OS makes alot of common things easy for the user. I really like what they do with user interfaces and usability. I love multitouch.

What i do not like, is that i am not as flexible as with my PC. Anything out of the ordinary gets complicated with apple.

But nevertheless, i think the Air is a beautifully designed laptop, and i would buy it instantly if i belonged to the earlier mentioned group. Maybe i should just throw some of my sense out of the window
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
It seems to me the Mac Air is aimed more at the corporate road warrior market than anything. It's a specialized computer for a specific market.

Last edited by Brad; 01-22-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I am very, very affraid I belong to the first or second or third group.

I want one.

(That said, if possible I'd almost right away put Gnome onto it!)
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't want to appear to have a vendetta, but there are more problems with the aIr. I'm just going to post some links, without commentary.

Engadget
Gizmodo
JKonTheRun
Engadget
Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think that is exactly the market.

I mean, I don't have the money for it, but thats exactly the sort of laptop I'd want. I don't do a lot of production on my Macbook now - everything big happens on my desktop. My laptop does browsing, light note taking, email, news and works as a secondary display or portable media center occasionally.

For that, the Air works just perfectly. It's light, sleek, and looks beautiful. I think more people than you think use laptops like this - I know if I'm going to spend time working on ANYTHING it won't be on my laptop unless I absolutely have to. But for being on the go, nothing beats it as it gives me access and the usability I need on the go.

So, while I don't plan on buying one I think it's a dandy machine. I'm just pissed its not a tablet.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
It's pretty pitiful IMHO. A Mac for the Prada set - people who need an accessory more than a tool. My first thought was that too many features had been left out and then I saw this portable computer feature comparison which the AirBook won hands down -
http://www.kontraband.com/show/show....genre=0&page=1

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote