Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My Kindle

i received a kindle as a gift (FINALLY)
im outside wireless coverage zone... outside the US really...
i tried registering the kindle via the "manage" my kindle webpage...
error:

Your Kindle can only be registered to one Amazon.com account and is currently registered to another user account. If you received this Kindle as a gift it may have been automatically registered to the person who purchased the gift for you. Before it can be registered to your account you must deregister it from the current account. You can deregister the Kindle wirelessly right from the device by following these steps:
Turn the power and wireless switches on the back of the Kindle to the On position.
Visit the Home screen by clicking the house icon on the keyboard.
Click on the "Menu" option using the scroll wheel.
From the menu select "Settings."
From "Settings" page, click on deregister.
After the Kindle is deregistered, you can then register your kindle to your Amazon.com account via that same "Settings" page.

If you are still unable to register, please contact customer service at 1-866-321-8851

ummm... it is not registered (because i cannot access the settings because it is NOT registered)..
how do i fix this? i sent an email to CS... but they REALLY suck...
thanks
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube99 View Post
ummm... it is not registered (because i cannot access the settings because it is NOT registered)..
how do i fix this? i sent an email to CS... but they REALLY suck...
thanks
More correctly you Kindle doesn't know it is registered. But, that doesn't mean it is not. Who bought it for you? It is probably registered to them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

well my friend ordered it as a gift.... i even received the invoice entitled "Your Gift Order"
what are some possible solutions? i really want to get this thing up and running.. :"(
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
well my friend ordered it as a gift.... i even received the invoice entitled "Your Gift Order"
what are some possible solutions? i really want to get this thing up and running.. :"(
When someone buys it for you, it automatically gets registered to their account. Tell your friend to go to his account Kindle page and deregister it (I ran into this when I bought my stepdad's, but I did get an email from Amazon saying to deregister it if it was a gift).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

really? i thought that when you "order as a gift" it is not registered to anyone's account. It says that in the user manual to, it says, "if you received your kindle as a gift, it is not registered yet.. blah blah blah"
are you sure that my friend has it registered to their account?
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Someone has this Kindle registered, so the most likely candidate is the gift giver.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
really? i thought that when you "order as a gift" it is not registered to anyone's account. It says that in the user manual to, it says, "if you received your kindle as a gift, it is not registered yet.. blah blah blah"
I'm positive, as of last September when I ordered one.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I also ordered one as a gift for my sister and it was automatically registered to my account.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I also ordered one as a gift for my sister and it was automatically registered to my account.
that is a weird setting.

have you tried emailing amazon?
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Use the call back feature. Go t0 Kindle support, (link below) click on the "contact us' button on the right, sign in, and theyll call you back almost immediately.

And yes, its always registered to the buyer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden51 View Post
that is a weird setting.

have you tried emailing amazon?
The one I ordered for my Mother was registered to my account. I think that since Amazon doesn't know if the person receiving the Kindle already has an account and the buyer doesn't usually have access the gift receiver's account, they register it to the buyer by default.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Same thing happened to me when I bought one for my mother. It didn't bother me so much since we pretty much share the account now.

Yes I guess contacting Amazon might resolve it, they have crazy rules regarding kindles because they are terrified at the idea of someone living in Canada or Australia using it to read a book.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
TMark
TMark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pff I've just posted about this to another thread. Nevermind. Thanks for the tips guys.
TMark is offline   Reply With Quote