Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You only get the kepub if you update/sync by WiFi.
You can also get the kepub via the KoboTouch Extended Driver. I sideload all my books as kepubs to my Sage and as epubs to my Libra.

Of course I wouldn't call that "using as intended by the manufacturer", but then I've not used any of my ereaders that way for a decade or more. Why would one want to?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course I wouldn't call that "using as intended by the manufacturer", but then I've not used any of my ereaders that way for a decade or more. Why would one want to?
The point is most people do. And kepubs using unpatched firmware still look bad.

Thank goodness for patches. But Kobo really should do something about their poor default formatting.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #63
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The spaces are there because nothing is hyphenated.
That doesn't seem to be the case in your second example, though. The spacing in image 3 is wonky, but image 4 moves "something" onto the previous line to fix the spacing. Nothing is hyphenated, so I don't understand why a hyphenation patch should cause such an effect.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 05:34 PM   #64
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
It seems the mobileread kobo wiki firmware isn't being updated regularly, and the OP doesn't have an update file included in the first post, so I'm wondering if this site is safe to download from:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

Plerase do not construe my comments above as critiscisms

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-25-2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added the kobo wiki update link
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:47 PM   #65
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It seems the mobileread kobo wiki firmware isn't being updated regularly, and the OP doesn't have an update file included in the first post, so I'm wondering if this site is safe to download from:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
That site is the OP's site and it is perfectly safe, the download links all point to the same Kobo site as found in the wiki.

P.S. Mr. Gaskin you need to update your site's copyright year.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2023, 09:57 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That doesn't seem to be the case in your second example, though. The spacing in image 3 is wonky, but image 4 moves "something" onto the previous line to fix the spacing. Nothing is hyphenated, so I don't understand why a hyphenation patch should cause such an effect.
In libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml there is a patch "KePub stylesheet additions - word-spacing" Reduces the space between words in KePubs.

For kepub formatting, I use:
  • Set KePub hyphenation
  • KePub stylesheet additions - word-spacing

and the better hyphenation dictionary.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-26-2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:22 PM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
P.S. Mr. Gaskin you need to update your site's copyright year.
Yeah, I know. I've been really busy this year, and have a lot of unfinished things I probably ought to have done by now. I'll get to it before next year, hopefully...
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:41 AM   #68
Bembo
Enthusiast
Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Oh no... it wasn't worth it. I upgraded via Calibre on my Clara HD and now it's showing me the setup screen.

I had about 1514 books, and now it's showing 884. What. Somehow this didn't happen in the previous firmware update, though. All of my stats and collection data are gone -- which file should I replace to get the backed up stats back? If it's even possible. All of the books are set to 'unread'...

Last edited by Bembo; 06-26-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Bembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:39 AM   #69
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like you corrupted the database during the update. I'm pretty sure you want to restore KoboReader.sqlite in the .kobo directory and then reboot.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:19 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml there is a patch "KePub stylesheet additions - word-spacing" Reduces the space between words in KePubs.

For kepub formatting, I use:
  • Set KePub hyphenation
  • KePub stylesheet additions - word-spacing

and the better hyphenation dictionary.
Here is the URL for some better hyphenation dictionaries.

English, French, Hungarian, German, and Spanish

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #71
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Device: Kobo Libra 2, firmware version 4.37.21533
----------
I don't think that the first (smallest) font size [or first position of the font size slider] is patched (correctly) for kepubs.

With the stock firmware, the difference in font size between kepub and epub files isn't that far off. IMHO, It's very close. The kepub font size is slightly smaller.
----------
----------
When appling the patch `Custom font sizes`, the difference in font-size (height) increases. Kepub font sizes are much smaller than regular epub.
Yes, that is expected or known and there is a patch for it: `Unify font sizes`. I did not/chose not to use this patch.
----------
----------
However, when I enable the patch `Default ePub serif font (Amasis)` and don't modify this patch and use "Amasis" as default serif font:
The font sizes (height) for kepub and epub remain similar (just as the stock firmware the kepub font size [height] is slightly smaller than epub).
Except for the first position of the font size slider..

First position of the font slider (the far most left position)
epub: smallest font size is correctly patched. I use this font size (height) as reference point.
kepub: first position (far left position) of the font slider: font size is very small (about the same size of the unpatched stock firmware).

However, when I increase the font size by moving the font slider 1 postion to the right, the font sizes are similar again.
In other words: position 1 of the font slider (epub) matches with the second position of the font slider when using kepub files.

That's why I think that the first position of the font slider (the smallest font size) for kepub is not correctly patched.

----------
----------
To replicate:
1. Install the stock firmware, and compare the font sizes of kepub and epub files.
2. Apply the patch `Custom font sizes` (and/or other patches to your preferences) but don't apply the `Default ePub serif font (Amasis)`and `Unify font sizes` patches. Compare the font sizes of kepub and epub files.
3. Repatch the firmware by enabling `Default ePub serif font (Amasis)` but don't enable `Unify font sizes`. Compare the font sizes of epub and kepub files. Compare Position 1 of the font slider (far left) of epub files with positon 1 and 2 of kepub files. Position 1 epub file is about the same size as position 2 of kepub files.
----------
Attached: my patch files.
Edit:
Updated: librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml; Default ePub serif font (Amasis) to default "Amasis". Removed custom font "KCalson" (Kings Caslon)

Update
Forget what I've written above. The jump from 23px to 39px caused the confusion.
With these settings:
Code:
    - BaseAddress: "N3FontTypeUtil::fontSizes()"
  # Initial font size:
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  378, Find:   8, Replace:  23} # Other devices
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  374, Find:  11, Replace:  23} # LibraH2O (storm)
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:   36, Find:  10, Replace:  23} # GloHD/ClaraHD (alyssum nova)
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  404, Find:  14, Replace:  23} # Forma/AuraOne/Sage/Elipsa (daylight)
  # Increment:
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  222, Find:  21, Replace:  39} # Add font sizes in increments of 1 until this size exceeded
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  228, Find:  22, Replace:  41} # Continue from this font size
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  250, Find:  49, Replace:  69} # Add font sizes in increments of 2 until this size exceeded
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset:  256, Find:  50, Replace:  71} # Continue from this font size
Slider position 1 23 px (far left) of epub matches with slider position 3 of kepub.

I'm not sure if slider position 3 matches with font size 40px or 41px.
39px is silder postion two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merged.png
Views:	91
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	202315  
Attached Files
File Type: zip mypatches.zip (33.7 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Anak; 06-26-2023 at 04:11 PM. Reason: screenshot from left to right: epub, kepub, overlay
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:07 AM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the URL for some better hyphenation dictionaries.

English, French, Hungarian, German, and Spanish

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
Thanks man. I also updated my post with the link. I wish the dictionary had a sticky.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:01 PM   #73
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I wonder if Google Drive can be enabled on unsupported devices, similar to Dropbox (adding link to the conf file + NickelMenu shortcut).

Does this require NickelMenu support?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Device: Kobo Libra 2, firmware version 4.37.21533
----------
I don't think that the first (smallest) font size [or first position of the font size slider] is patched (correctly) for kepubs.

With the stock firmware, the difference in font size between kepub and epub files isn't that far off. IMHO, It's very close. The kepub font size is slightly smaller.
For what it may be worth, without using the Unify font sizes patch to make epub and kepub font sizes close enough to switch without having to use the font size slider, the epub font size is much larger than the kepub font size on my Sage, Forma and Clara HD.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:17 PM   #75
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Not getting any firmware updates on my H2O. I've been syncing a few times a day waiting for it to popup.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release