Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I got lost in the back and forth. Are advanced options available for sideloaded fonts without patching, both ePub and kepub?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #32
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I got lost in the back and forth. Are advanced options available for sideloaded fonts without patching, both ePub and kepub?
Having just manually loaded 4.32 on my Libra 2 yes Advanced Settings are available on Kepub, and I would presume epub since rcentros was right about kepub.

I'm wondering if the suplemental font feature can be manipulated to show italic, bold+italic from a different font by not providing the appropriate font files for the main font.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.32.19501 has been released. This should be going to all devices except the Mini. The rollout should follow Kobo's normal firmware rollout timing.

The changes that I know about are:
  • Circles for highlighting the buttons in reading.
  • Enable markups for sideload kepubs using the Stylus
  • Store:
    • Scrollbar on the store main page.
    • More tiles on the store main page.
  • Book details:
    • Page, word count, reading time in minutes as range.
    • Audio book duration.
    • These are the same numbers as seen in the store.
    • See below for more details.
  • Fonts:
    • Fixes for issues seen in 4.31 and before.
    • Advanced font settings for all fonts
      Note: The font used on the "Before" sample does not change if you change the font while using the Advanced dialog. The "After" sample does change.
    • Fonts sorted by name within supplied fonts then sideloaded fonts.
    • Supplemental fonts in Kepubs:
      • Select one or more font to get missing glyphs from.
      • Used to supply missing glyphs.
      • Works best for things like mixed languages.
      • May not help where a single glyph is missing.
      • Popup when missing glyphs are detected.
      • This is for kepubs only. Kobo uses the Adobe RMSDK for epubs and has much less control over fonts there.
  • Bluetooth
    • Does not toggle Bluetooth ON when entering Bluetooth settings
  • Fixes:
    • Crashes in sideloaded ePubs when changing fonts.
    • Don't toggle Bluetooth ON when entering Bluetooth settings.
    • Unable to download books on SD card when internal storage is full.
    • Kobo Sage - Battery improvements to address cases where the battery capacity will drop to 1%.
    • Issues when connecting to a computer. Or at least back to the pre-4.31 state.
    • Fix Libra 2 and Nia freeze.
    • Kobo Sage: button paging issue should be fixed.

If I remember any other changes, I will add them. Also, I have not tested all of the above. Some are on devices I have no access to. Other are things I didn't necessarily see myself.

calibre
Support for this version has been made and checked in. Unfortunately, I might have missed the cut-off if a release is built today. If it does not make the build, or no build is made today, it will be in the next release. Until then, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option on the driver.

Book statistics
As mentioned above, Kobo is now displaying some statistics for the books. These are page and word counts, and estimates for reading. The latter can have a lower and upper estimate. For purchased books these statistics are the same as displayed in the store.

For sideloaded books, the update in the driver will add support for these statistics. In the "Update metadata on the device" section of the driver configuration, options for setting the book statistics have been added. This is optional and must be turned on. All four mentioned above can be set. For each, there is a template field for setting the value for statistic for each book. The result must be an integer. If any templates are empty, or do not return an integer the statistic will not be set for that book. The templates can be simple columns, or calculations based on column values. For example, I currently have:
Code:
Words: program:$$#words
Pages: program:$$#pages
Reading estimate Lower: program:mod($$#words, 12)
Reading estimate Higher: program:mod($$#words, 10)
The above are only examples and if you want to do something similar, you will need to adjust them too use the columns you have in calibre library. And @ownedbycats, I hope you enjoy having four more templates to break play with.

There is no attempt to make sure the values are sensible (the 12 and 10 are just numbers that I tested with). And there is no control over the formatting of the statistics on the device. That is done by the device.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-15-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Sage button fix
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:12 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Oooh, tell me more. Does that mean we can explicitly specify a fallback font for the times certain glyphs may not be included in the main font? Or does it do something different?
Pretty much what you said. For instance, I was reading a kepub using Charis6eInk and it popped up that code2000 was being added to the supplementary fonts. The book had several non-English quotes which as far as I could tell were now rendered properly. The Supplementary Font menu lets you explicitly add fonts to be used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:16 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Correct. The Enable advanced settings for all fonts patch is now unneeded.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 01:59 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes, for both — at least they are on my Clara. I haven't upgraded anything else yet.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.32.19501 has been released. This should be going to all devices except the Mini. The rollout should follow Kobo's normal firmware rollout timing.

The changes that I know about are:
  • Circles for highlighting the buttons in reading.
  • Enable markups for sideload kepubs using the Stylus
  • Store:
    • Scrollbar on the store main page.
    • More tiles on the store main page.
  • Book details:
    • Page, word count, reading time in minutes as range.
    • Audio book duration.
    • These are the same numbers as seen in the store.
    • See below for more details.
  • Fonts:
    • Fixes for issues seen in 4.31 and before.
    • Advanced font settings for all fonts
      Note: The font used on the "Before" sample does not change if you change the font while using the Advanced dialog. The "After" sample does change.
    • Fonts sorted by name within supplied fonts then sideloaded fonts.
    • Supplemental fonts in Kepubs:
      • Select one or more font to get missing glyphs from.
      • Used to supply missing glyphs.
      • Works best for things like mixed languages.
      • May not help where a single glyph is missing.
      • Popup when missing glyphs are detected.
      • This is for kepubs only. Kobo uses the Adobe RMSDK for epubs and has much less control over fonts there.
  • Bluetooth
    • Does not toggle Bluetooth ON when entering Bluetooth settings
  • Fixes:
    • Crashes in sideloaded ePubs when changing fonts.
    • Don't toggle Bluetooth ON when entering Bluetooth settings.
    • Unable to download books on SD card when internal storage is full.
    • Kobo Sage - Battery improvements to address cases where the battery capacity will drop to 1%.
    • Issues when connecting to a computer. Or at least back to the pre-4.31 state.
    • Fix Libra 2 and Nia freeze

If I remember any other changes, I will add them. Also, I have not tested all of the above. Some are on devices I have no access to. Other are things I didn't necessarily see myself.
Thanks!
Quote:
]Does not toggle Bluetooth ON when entering Bluetooth settings
Do you mean the WiFi doesn't turn on when you go to Bluetooth page?

The notes on https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Quote:
Kobo Store Improvements
• eBooks in the store now include an estimate of how long they typically take to read. Tap on the Details tab to see word count, number of pages, and estimated reading time.
• You can now scroll the eBooks storefront to see books related to what you’ve recently read, new releases, and other featured lists.
• Your Wishlist is now more easily accessible from the Kobo Store homepage.

Notebook Improvements
• New notebooks will use your most recent pen settings as default
• Selected blocks in the Advanced Notebook will show a menu with Convert/Edit, Copy, Paste and Delete options.
• The Basic Notebook now has an improved stylus response speed.

General Improvements
• Toolbar icons now show a selected circle to make it clearer when they are pressed.
• Better alignment for VIP price icons in the store.

Bug Fixes
• Highlights no longer disappear when editing a note.
• Enabled filtering of highlights and notes.
• Resolved a font rendering issue with sideloaded EPUBs that caused crashes.
Bugs I've seen on Elipsa 4.30, 4.31 or Sage 4.31
Quote:
1) Buttons stop working. Swipe usually fixes, otherwise sleep or home.
2) Place is lost in book.
3) Looking at Bluetooth page turns on WiFi
4) The ereader restarting while in Advanced Notebook and the open notebook contents are erased.
5) Database sometimes corrupted. A "Repair Account" in settings sometimes works. Making sure on Home before connecting doesn't always mitigate
6) Copy & paste in Advanced Notebook only appends, never inserts and doesn't work between notebooks, so useless.
7) Insert a circle shape on 4.31 only adds a small fixed sized one, like O
Other Issues on Sage and Elipsa:
It's like a separate ereader and ewriter because the BT keyboard only works any place the onscreen keyboard might work.
  1. No handwriting input & conversion in an Annotation window.
  2. No text entry possible via onscreen keyboard or BT keyboard in Advanced Notebook, though the physical BT keys allow page up /down.
  3. No pagination on Notebook, the infinite scroll is horrible.
  4. Resizing shape or section with shapes is erratic.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we adjust the font weight of aide loaded fonts without patching?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:05 AM   #39
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why don't you install 4.32.19501 and try it yourself?
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:14 AM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenRunciter View Post
Why don't you install 4.32.19501 and try it yourself?
The patches aren't out yet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #41
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You need patches to test whether something works without patching?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, though I’m not sure why this needs to be asked as the only feature advanced settings gives you that isn’t in the normal font screen is changing the weight and we’ve established that 4.32 allows advanced settings with sideloaded fonts in epub and kepub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
No, but Jon won’t install 4.32 before the patches and won’t read the thread for answers to questions he didn’t ask.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Because I prefer to run with the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:08 AM   #44
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kinda new to Kobo worlds, I tried to check for a new update but I'm still on 4.31
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #45
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Kinda new to Kobo worlds, I tried to check for a new update but I'm still on 4.31
I assume it takes a bit of time to propagate to Kobo's update servers; 4.31 didn't appear for me until several days after its release. You can download and update manually.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release