Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #76
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the so called 'improvements'. The PPI apparently is still 212 so I imagine the new and improved contrast will not be all that spectacular. The software updates are nothing that interest me that much. I did go ahead and pre order since I can always cancel. Hopefully there will be some reviews/previews that will shed some light and maybe indicate that the screen has in fact improved significantly. If I do cancel, I may decide to go with a Kobo Aura - clearly looks like the best e-reader on the market right now in light of today's announcement.

What about announcing other Kindles? Like the a non-touch version. I would pay good money for a Kindle NT Basic w/o light that had 212 ppi. Does that mean Amazon is done with their NT line. I preferred the most recent generation Kindle NT to the paperwhite.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #77
Torkijo
Torkijo will become famous soon enoughTorkijo will become famous soon enoughTorkijo will become famous soon enoughTorkijo will become famous soon enoughTorkijo will become famous soon enoughTorkijo will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any comparison thoughts

Read through a few pages, but anyone given any consideration as to how this will compare against the Kobo Aura?
Torkijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #78
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
I'm glad that I made up my mind to go with KOBO. Wonder will Amazon launch the new Kindle DX with front lit display?
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #79
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I'm not planning to upgrade at this time. The features that interest me most (Goodreads and, mildly, Wikipedia) can be added to the Paperwhite I have via a firmware update. I wanted more storage space, but didn't get it, so I'm going to wait for the next version and be more aggressive about pruning books from the device if I don't like them.

Even if Goodreads isn't ever directly integrated with this Paperwhite (though I can't see why not; it'd drive more book sales to allow the Paperwhites we already have to access it), I can already view recommendations on the website, and it's only a few extra clicks to buy a book. (I usually buy via the website). In fact, the Goodreads integration I want most is "show me the current Kindle price at Amazon.com right on the Goodreads site, especially on shelf lists".

The contrast on the screen I have is just fine.

That's $189 I can save for a new iPhone 5S (and I do need to replace that; I'm out of storage space on the one I have now, which is old, and it's starting to bog on new apps).

I'm amused that the "glance at maps" sample is from the Song of Ice and Fire series -- that's what I'm reading now.

Last edited by Buran; 09-03-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Let's hope for a firmware update for existing devices for that.

Although personally I would rather have more fonts and more font sizes than GoodReads integration.

eP
Yeah if they don't do that I'm switching to full time reading on the iPad Mini, thereby effectively reducing my Kindle purchases to zero...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #81
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiserra View Post
There are a lot of software improvements for the NEW PW, I wonder if they are going to come to the current PW?
6 months after the release of the first PW, Amazon incorporated all of its new software features to Kindle Touch with a firmware upgrade. So, yes it's possible. Just not right away. May be 6 months
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #82
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I'm not interested in upgrading my PW as it doesn't seem much, if any, of an upgrade. Also the majority of features should be given to the first PW via firmware update.

I am curious about the new screen and light. To see if they are any better than the current PW has already. But not enough to upgrade myself.

I have however pre-ordered one. If the early reviews, esp. on YouTube and here, seem worthy of purchasing one I will keep the order live if not I can cancel as the UK don't get theirs till a week after the US. Plenty of time for some reviews to come in. It could be the answer to what to get my Mum for her birthday as an upgrade to her current Kindle Touch. Or rather my KT as I gave her a borrow to see how it compared to a Kobo Touch and it never came back to me except for when she wanted new books on it.

Then I will only have two other birthdays in October and two in November to see to before Xmas. I'm totally clueless for both birthdays and Christmas this year. So the PW might help me fix one of them.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #83
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I am curious about the new screen and light. To see if they are any better than the current PW has already. But not enough to upgrade myself.

I have however pre-ordered one. If the early reviews, esp. on YouTube and here, seem worthy of purchasing one I will keep the order live if not I can cancel as the UK don't get theirs till a week after the US. Plenty of time for some reviews to come in.
My view as well. I could wait for the reviews but I'm a bit impatient and will want to see for myself. I've minimised the cost by going for free delivery so if I send it back its only the return postage I'll have to pay, and if I keep it, well I'll keep my existing case and sell my current one on eBay with a spare non Amazon case I have for it. But I need to see for myself, it's the screen that matters the most to me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #84
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Do how does this compare to the new Aura? Kobo was able to shrink the size while keeping the same screen size. What is the size of the new Kindle? I'm not really seeing any improvements other than 'we fixed the light!'
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #85
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Will there be a press conference demonstrating the new features of PW2?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #86
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Do how does this compare to the new Aura? Kobo was able to shrink the size while keeping the same screen size. What is the size of the new Kindle? I'm not really seeing any improvements other than 'we fixed the light!'
It's the same exact size as the original Paperwhite. (Which is great for people with more than 1 cover)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've minimised the cost by going for free delivery so if I send it back its only the return postage I'll have to pay
That's what I did when the first PW came out. Return shipping was $2.98, well worth the price for a hands on.

Quote:
it's the screen that matters the most to me.
Screen and software are my top priorities. The screen on my Aura HD is great, but this new PW has newer tech (even though the screen's a bit smaller) and I'm always interested in better. I definitely know I like Amazon's software better than Kobo's, which has given me some problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #88
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm probably going to pass on this, or at least wait a few months. The hardware improvements seem minor, and as others note, the new software features are likely as not going to show up on the now 'old' Paperwhite.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #89
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Will there be a press conference demonstrating the new features of PW2?
I hope so. What a terrible way to announce a new product.. The flyer detailing the new features is so vague. Language like "new display technology" and "next generation light" give me no reason to understand why this warrants an upgrade or a purchase. They need to explain why the display technology is an improvement and especially the lighting since that was the reason I returned mine after pre-ordering last year.

Overall very disappointed at this point in the "new" and "improved" Paperwhite. Kobo is improving there products and introducing what seems to be significant improvements over the ereader standard of last years generation. I think I'm switching. If I can just get past the DRM of most of my libary.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #90
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
I hope so. What a terrible way to announce a new product.. The flyer detailing the new features is so vague. Language like "new display technology" and "next generation light" give me no reason to understand why this warrants an upgrade or a purchase. They need to explain why the display technology is an improvement and especially the lighting since that was the reason I returned mine after pre-ordering last year.

Overall very disappointed at this point in the "new" and "improved" Paperwhite. Kobo is improving there products and introducing what seems to be significant improvements over the ereader standard of last years generation. I think I'm switching. If I can just get past the DRM of most of my libary.
I agree....strange way to intro a new device. I want to know real info about the new specs. What is the processor speed? Are there any blotches? The screen on my Kobo Glo is far superior to my Paperwhite, smooth even lighting, whereas the PW has a huge white light spot on one part at the bottom. I think it's gotten worse over time, or maybe it didn't bother me, until I got the Kobo and realized the difference. If Amazon had upped the storage to 4gb, I might have been jumping on the pre-order wagon, but as it is, I am in no hurry. I'll wait for user reviews and see if it is worth upgrading or not.

Now I wish BN would announce a new product. An improved but similar version of the Nook Simple Glow would have me very excited.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote