Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
KLStringer
KLStringer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Configuration Files

I've installed Calibre on a Ubuntu server that doesn't run a GUI and for the life of me I can't find any configuration files or a place to create a configuration file so that I can set it up.

Specifically I'm looking for where to:
  • give it an outside IP Address so that I can connect over The Internet either with a PDA/Tablet/PC for uploading/downloading/reading books
  • input the path where the database will be stored

I've read through the manual and the sections about the CLI commands but it seamed like the only way to use them was by opening a console window from within the Calibre GUI.

I looked in /etc/ but there's no calibre folder and locate calibre only returned a calibre.desktop and calibre.png in /usr/share/app-install/desktop. If someone could point out where to do the above it would be much appreciated.
KLStringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre config files are in

~/.config/calibre

You dont ever have to edit calibre config files by hand.

calibre-server --help

Assigning an IP address is something you do at the level of the machine that is hosting calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
KLStringer

There is no file named calibre in ~/.config/ am I suppose to create one there? What is the syntax for the commands? What is the structure the file is suppose to follow? Is there an order the commands should be in?

calibre-server --help

Tells me nothing more than http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...re-server.html did.

The tweaks page specifically talks about environmental variables, where are these set at? It also shows a config file but only tells how to access it through a GUI.

This server will be hosting the website but I want to place the database on a different server that isn't outward facing. Where do I configure Calibre to do this? The manual assumes that the database and web server will be one and the same machine with a GUI. Is there noway to have the web server on one server and have the database on another server and configure them without a GUI?

I know I can set the path for the database or library to point to a mount point on another server. How/where do I do this without a GUI?

Last edited by KLStringer; 02-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLStringer View Post
There is no file named calibre in ~/.config/ am I suppose to create one there? What is the syntax for the commands? What is the structure the file is suppose to follow? Is there an order the commands should be in?

calibre-server --help

Tells me nothing more than http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...re-server.html did.

The tweaks page specifically talks about environmental variables, where are these set at? It also shows a config file but only tells how to access it through a GUI.

This server will be hosting the website but I want to place the database on a different server that isn't outward facing. Where do I configure Calibre to do this? The manual assumes that the database and web server will be one and the same machine with a GUI. Is there noway to have the web server on one server and have the database on another server and configure them without a GUI?

I know I can set the path for the database or library to point to a mount point on another server. How/where do I do this without a GUI?
did you read the page referenced?
the last option --with library...

Library in this context is the BOOKS and metadata.db
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
KLStringer

Trying calibre-server --port=80 give me errors is attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.PNG
Views:	504
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	67092  
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
KLStringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
did you read the page referenced?
the last option --with library...

Library in this context is the BOOKS and metadata.db

Am I to assume that there's no configuration file that I can set all these variables in and that I must enter them manually one by one on the cli? I've never seen something set up like this without a .cfg type file where all the variables can be set and then the program pulls them from it.

Anyway its 12:30 and time to head home, I'll monitor this thread for more insight into how to configure Calibre to do what I want. It looks like an awesome application to archive all the books we have here in the office into one place and then share them out with everyone as well as a way to share in house training documents.

Last edited by KLStringer; 02-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Am I to assume that there's no configuration file that I can set all these variables in and that I must enter them manually one by one on the cli? I've never seen something set up like this without a .cfg type file where all the variables can be set and then the program pulls them from it.

Anyway its 12:30 and time to head home, I'll monitor this thread for more insight into how to configure Calibre to do what I want. It looks like an awesome application to archive all the books we have here in the office into one place and then share them out with everyone as well as a way to share in house training documents.
I just make a shell script (batch file to Win folk)
The GUI does have a non-user-direct-editable config
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh,

from calibre-server --help

--with-library=WITH_LIBRARY
Path to the library folder to serve with the content
server
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
KLStringer

Where can I set "CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY" that's described on the tweaks page? Oh and whats the name of the file it looks for.

Last edited by KLStringer; 02-22-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
KLStringer

I'm getting a segmentation fault when trying to pass arguments on the command line to set the port number and library location (see attachment).

EDIT: doesn't matter if I pass arguments or not either way I get a segmentation fault in libc-2.10.1.so
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre_2.PNG
Views:	401
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	67159  

Last edited by KLStringer; 02-22-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
KLStringer

Since I couldn't make any head way configuring Calibre through the cli I tried to do it through a GUI and I get an error when I try to create the library and can't go any further.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre_3.PNG
Views:	380
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	67160  
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
KLStringer

Got passed that and updated to the latest version now the content server keeps saying that port 80 isn't free.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
KLStringer

I have determined that Calibre just isn't meant to be used in a multiuser client/server environment, but as it is it will not meet our needs. I am sure it is a stellar product for a single user environment, and I will probably use it for my own personal needs. If anyone knows of a similar product that can be used in a multiuser client/server environment please respond here, I will be monitoring this thread for a couple more days.

Thanks for all the help that was provided.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If anyone knows of a similar product that can be used in a multiuser client/server environment please respond here, I will be monitoring this thread for a couple more days.

Thanks for all the help that was provided.
I haven't used this but if you have the server to host the pages try Calibre2OPDS.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
KLStringer

Looks promising definitely going to check it out, thanks for the lead.