Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
So what about this OPUS, huh? Should I buy one for $198 - ?

Good ole BOb has this for the price of $198. I'm serious about purchasing this.

I've read all the extremely bad publicity about how unreceptive the company has been with its customers....and, of course, the new firmware that's coming out at the "End of The Year."

Whadda'y'all think about the Opus? Huh?

I'm tempted to get it, just so I can enjoy a very nice-looking Ebook Reader, but also join the ranks of the many complainers.

(Apologies to any Rednecks on the Forum. Oh, wait a minute: I'm a Redneck!)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Don't. Order. It.

Seriously, it's a pain. If you can, get a pocketbook 360. Same hardware, just slightly modified, apparently great firmware, great support, many updates.

as a matter of fact, I'll order one (PB 360) myself in 30 sec.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
fizzywiz
fizzywiz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 ver1.2 Build 834
Well, if your goal in life is to spend 4 months of repeated emails to costumer service to get shipped a completely new defective device, fresh with an ink-spot on the hard reset button, feel free...

Then again I own a lowly Gen 3, bought and replaced once, that I desire to smash to little pieces every 5th time it locks up when I am trying to finish one sitting of reading. Take that as you may.
fizzywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
and, of course, the new firmware that's coming out at the "End of The Year."
That firmware they are promising by the end of the year was supposed to be released in Jan 09 and kept getting pushed back. It has been pushed back for almost year now...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Personaly, i like my opus. I found a way to avoid it crashing (ie going back to library every now and then, I do that to chack batery statut). And hopefully, bookeen will get this fixed sometimes soon. But even now, it don't crash enough to be a real anoyance.

Quote:
It has been pushed back for almost year now...
At least we will have an update for ePub and all... Some won't.

Quote:
That firmware they are promising by the end of the year was supposed to be released in Jan 09 and kept getting pushed back. It has been pushed back for almost year now...
Mmm ? First date i heard of was April 2009...

Yet an other reader aceflor ? don't you have enough of them already ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-22-2009 at 07:43 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
At least we will have an update for ePub and all... Some won't.
Also according to Bookeen the Opuses they sell now have a firmware update that fixes the freezing issue. However, the fact that they have the new firmware out on devices, they will even flash Gen 3's if you send it to them, they have fixed the freezing issue that drove me to having to replace my Cybook, have been promising a firmware update with these changes for existing Gen 3 owners and have not made good on their promise makes me not want to do business with them and as such I cannot recommend them to anyone else.

Quote:
Mmm ? First date i heard of was April 2009...
First quarter 2009 was their official announcement. Which often ends Jan or Feb. I was not able to find their quarterly earnings so I cannot determine what they use as their first quarter exactly so I can only guess based on what most companies use. Lets say it was April then it's still a nine month delay.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
And it's six months delay since the firmware was so close to being released that they were giving it out to people on Paris meetup. I wonder whether it's much closer to release now.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yet an other reader aceflor ? don't you have enough of them already ?
Aye, you should know me by now . The Opus I can't even sell, nobody wants it!!! The K2 and the 505 I just adore, The 505 being my backup one, the K2 my everyday reader. The 600, well, I don't know really. I like it, I don't use it that much tough.

Really (), I need one for my purse, don't you think so too ?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
The Opus I can't even sell, nobody wants it!!!
Just give it to me if you hate it that much. I can always use a second reader
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Just give it to me if you hate it that much. I can always use a second reader
I thought you had the opus as well as a gen3... or am I wrong ?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
I thought you had the opus as well as a gen3... or am I wrong ?
Yeah, a thrid one then
My gen3 is sleeping. My sister wanted to take it, as her illiad don't and won't read ePub, bad luck, my gen3 don't either, yet.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some research on the PocketBook 360, based upon aceflor's mention, and I'm just about ready to buy THAT one, and NOT the Opus.

I can order the black one and have it delivered to my sister's address in the U.S.

It looks like a great unit.

Don
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Personaly i will not buy the pocketbook 360, i already owns a cybook i'm quite happy with I see no point in a second 5" reader.
360 wasn't there at the time I bought the opus, so no question there for me.
Where I to make the choice today i would still go for the opus.
I never was a big fan of the 360 style (taste and colors...). And I woudn't bear ade page number that are anoying enough even with bookeen's trick's to hide them.
And well, bookeen might not be perfect, but no one is, and i know what to expect from them by now.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I did some research on the PocketBook 360, based upon aceflor's mention, and I'm just about ready to buy THAT one, and NOT the Opus.

I can order the black one and have it delivered to my sister's address in the U.S.

It looks like a great unit.

Don
I ordered my PB 360 today based on everything I read here. I love the fact that apps can be developped for it on an open basis. They have a great customer service too, in Germany as well as in the US, very (VERY) responsive.

I'll tell you more as soon as I get it, which may be either on the 24th or on the 29th.

With the FBReader the layout of ePUBs looks great, from the pics I saw, btw.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I ordered my PB 360 today based on everything I read here. I love the fact that apps can be developped for it on an open basis. They have a great customer service too, in Germany as well as in the US, very (VERY) responsive.

I'll tell you more as soon as I get it, which may be either on the 24th or on the 29th.

With the FBReader the layout of ePUBs looks great, from the pics I saw, btw.

What about the cover that one can buy as an option? I didn't see this available for purchase from PocketBook EReader's website.

Is that the best place to order the ebook?

Don