Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Device: Vivlio Touch HD Plus
Taranis: Local weather data on your PocketBook e-book reader

I am happy to announce the first release of Taranis an application to consult weather data.

The executable can be downloaded from Github.

Feedbacks, comments and contributions are welcome!

Features of this version are:
  • Current weather
  • 24 hourly forecasts with temperature, wind speed, humidity, temperature curve and precipitations histogram
  • Configurable system of units

Weather data is provided by OpenWeather.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by orontee; 09-16-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Fix of malformed URL tag
orontee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:02 AM   #2
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Sorry I posted a malformed URL... I am not used to the forum's markup. Here is a hopefully functional link: Github.

Learning the markup language I see it's possible to post images; So here is the unavoidable screenshot:

Advert
Old 09-07-2023, 02:11 AM   #3
orontee
Connoisseur

Old 09-07-2023, 02:18 AM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Works great on my HD3. Nicely done!

Do you think you could add a view where you can squeeze the three pages of 8 hour segments onto a single page? Taking a screenshot of the weather to have as the sleep/off wallpapers would be really useful. Maybe even add the functionality of setting as a wallpaper into the menu?

Is it feasible to add touch control (swipe between pages) and a scheduled auto-refresh? And perhaps the option of storing a few favourite weather locations?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 09-07-2023 at 02:30 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:30 AM   #5
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
no joy on PB631, FW 5,20:
Code:
/mnt/ext1/applications # ./taranis.app 
Atached mp shm: id 0 addr 2d135000 size 21736
epdc_default_init
epdc_default_rotate: w=1072 h=1448 scan=1088 mem=1695744
program_name = [./taranis.app], basename = [taranis.app], init_string = [/P7.Sink=Null /P7.Pool=128 /P7.Format="{%ts}[%fs:%fl] %lv %ms"]
program init string = [(null)]
default init string = [(null)]
Atached mqueue: id 8001
attach_shm: mtfb key=251331793 size=1666724
Atached mtfb shm: id 11000b addr 2d405000 size 1666724
-------------------------
The task - taranis.app fb 0x2d405000
 xres=1072 yres=1448 scanline=1072 vdepth=8 orient=0
-------------------------
attach_shm: ref key=2130378752 size=1560832
Atached ref shm: id 8001 addr 2d663000 size 1560832
[hw_setglobalkeymask] gka0 = 4000002; gka1 = c800002; gka2 = 800000
OpenTheme: /ebrmain/themes/Line.pbt
Theme real name: Line
ts: loading default calibration values
TOUCHMATRIX: 0 10000 0 0 0 10000
./taranis.app: symbol lookup error: ./taranis.app: undefined symbol: BitmapStretchProportionally
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2023, 04:37 AM   #6
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Works great on my HD3. Nicely done!

(...) Do you think you could add a view where you can squeeze the three pages of 8 hour segments onto a single page?
Well, it's not a priority because it implies almost a full rewrite .

Quote:
Taking a screenshot of the weather to have as the sleep/off wallpapers would be really useful. Maybe even add the functionality of setting as a wallpaper into the menu?

Is it feasible to add touch control (swipe between pages) and a scheduled auto-refresh? And perhaps the option of storing a few favourite weather locations?
Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I completed the backlog. I'll comment there on the feasibility.

Many thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-07-2023, 04:56 AM   #7
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
no joy on PB631, FW 5,20:
Code:
(...)
./taranis.app: symbol lookup error: ./taranis.app: undefined symbol: BitmapStretchProportionally
Arf, sorry, I forgot to advertise that it's develop with SDK 6.3.0. I'll add a check at startup.

It's easy to remove the use of BitmapStrechProportionally from Taranis implementation, but I've no idea of the other differences between 5.2.x and 6.3.x firmwares. If anybody knows, comments welcome: Use this please
https://github.com/orontee/taranis/issues/29
Old 09-07-2023, 06:52 AM   #8
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orontee View Post
Well, it's not a priority because it implies almost a full rewrite
I feared that may be the case.

How about a view that has the same 8 segment layout, but showing data for ever 2 hours rather than hourly? Could that be achieved without an extensive re-write? Having the 0700-2200 forecast data on a single page would be adequate for a daily wallpaper then.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
I feared that may be the case.

How about a view that has the same 8 segment layout, but showing data for ever 2 hours rather than hourly? Could that be achieved without an extensive re-write? Having the 0700-2200 forecast data on a single page would be adequate for a daily wallpaper then.
In fact, I already planned to add a second view with a 8 segment layout: A 8-days forecast view but may be I should reconsider that. I'll think of it.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #10
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by orontee View Post
In fact, I already planned to add a second view with a 8 segment layout: A 8-days forecast view but may be I should reconsider that. I'll think of it.
An 8 day forecast is also a great idea, likely better for setting as a wallpaper,

Where did you find the documentation for inkview functions? I've been dabbling with the PBSDK myself, but am having problems finding much info about it.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Thanks a lot. It works fine on InkPad 4, but there are:
- some empty places every four hours or so;
- translation problem in description - "Bezchmurnie" (clear sky) is OK, but "Felt" is not in Polish;
- there are "strange" time periods like 17:59 instead of 18:00...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taranis.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	203614  

Last edited by Cyfranek; 09-07-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #12
neil_swann80

@Cyfranek - random query... how do you post a thumbnail? It's been bothering (and evading) me for a while.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #13
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
@Cyfranek - random query... how do you post a thumbnail? It's been bothering (and evading) me for a while.
There is an "Additional Options" box below comment window. You can use "Attach Files" option. You have to "upload" file there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taranis_02.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	203618  
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:52 PM   #14
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
Thanks a lot. It works fine on InkPad 4, but there are:
- some empty places every four hours or so;
- translation problem in description - "Bezchmurnie" (clear sky) is OK, but "Felt" is not in Polish;
- there are "strange" time periods like 17:59 instead of 18:00...
I'll try to reproduce empty places and strange time periods using the same location (Nice city by the way!).

The translation of the weather description is not performed by the application, but by Openweather themselves. Sorry for that.

Many thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #15
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
An 8 day forecast is also a great idea, likely better for setting as a wallpaper,

Where did you find the documentation for inkview functions? I've been dabbling with the PBSDK myself, but am having problems finding much info about it.
I found an official PDF, not very useful from my pov. I read the file inkview.h many times, guessing, trying, etc. Finally, my other source was the source code of other projects. They are referred here https://github.com/orontee/taranis/b....md#references.

Tags
pocketbook, software, weather