Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #1
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pocketbook Viva - full of colors, full of superpowers!

Hey there,

A couple of days ago Pocketbook announced a new colour ebook-reader, the Pocketbook Viva.

It will be the first colour e-reader to use E-Inks new Gallery 3 display technology and is set to launch sometime in the first quarter of 2023 for the price of €599.

Otherwise the design (and specs) are similar to the Pocketbook Era, albeit with a slightly bigger 8" display.

You can read the whole announcement here:
-> https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/poc...k-viva-news-ch
  • Storage: 64 GB of built-in memory
  • Display: 8" (Gallery 3), 300ppi, 1440 × 1920 pixel,
  • adaptive SMARTlight + ComfortGaze frontlight
  • G-sensor for automatic screen rotation
  • Audio: Built-In speakers, text-to-speech function
  • Supported file formats - 23 formats (19 book and 4 graphic formats), including formats of comics;
  • Supported audiobook formats - M4A, M4B, OGG, OGG.ZIP, MP3, MP3.ZIP
  • IPX8 water protection
  • Powerful quad-core processor;
  • Connectivity: Dual band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.2, PocketBook Cloud services
  • The vast number of dictionaries – in addition to 11 pre-installed language combinations, users have 42 combinations available for free download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34590-pocketbook_viva_02.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	198454   Click image for larger version

Name:	34591-pocketbook_viva_03.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	198455  
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #2
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I hope they develop this technology further. At current I just cannot see the point of Gallery 3 on such a small device.

Colour e-ink makes sense for PDFs with graphics in colour or for comics, or magazines. And all of those would be best served by a 13" e-reader. Or at least 10".

Add to that the slow refresh rate, which would make it painful to navigate a document (which one would have to do on such a small screen).

So what is the use case for this device? The few non-fiction epubs that depend on colour to show nice graphs? Looking at family photos? The rare manga in colour?

And the price... ouch!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2022, 01:29 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The only advantage is that it looks nice in the sun - but it has many other disadvantages
You have to go into the shade with a tablet, but whether that's worth €600 is something everyone has to decide for themselves.
I prefer my 10 inch €50 China tablet.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It needs to be about half that price, and even then...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:21 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I pretty much agree, but then people pay around $1,600 for phones, so there's probably a market (though niche) for $600 color E-Ink readers as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2022, 01:34 AM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
it's the new tech bonus.
what do you think I paid for my 1st monochrome reader (bebook mini)
200€
hey, at least tech development goes on and isn't stalling. Size will follow.
if it's bad i cannot judge. im still using a pb lux
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
"Only" € 599

Well, I bought both color device of Pocketbook so far, and now I seldom use the 6" screen Pocketbook Color, its only advantage is that it is the lighter ereader I own but its screen is terrible. And the 7.8" screen of Inkpad Color is somewhat better but it is useful only for non fiction books with color images (diagram, sometime maps etc.). Not so bad also for color comics but it depends on the size of them, often its 7.8" screen it is not large enough.

This color model seems better but, as far I can read, it is slow. Well I don't know if I will buy it, may be not. But when somebody will use it we will have some real news about it.
ps67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I pretty much agree, but then people pay around $1,600 for phones, so there's probably a market (though niche) for $600 color E-Ink readers as well.
The first Kindle was $399 in 2007 and sold out. The inflation calculator tells me that that would be $574.91 today.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What price was a Sony e-reader that year?
But would a 1953 USA Color TV vs same year mono or a 1969 UK Colour TV vs 1969 UK 625 Mono be better comparisons?

Or 2003 Colour Nokia Communicator vs 2000 Mono Nokia Communicator (1st smart phone was 1998).

It's also not at all the first colour ereader, (though earlier ones are real eink with a filter or even LCD).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What price was a Sony e-reader that year?
But would a 1953 USA Color TV vs same year mono or a 1969 UK Colour TV vs 1969 UK 625 Mono be better comparisons?
The point is, it is a high priced device for early adopters. I'm not going to pay $600 for one, but people will.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People that believe the hype and don't research the screen used!

The headline I see on Forums Home
Pocketbook Viva - full of...

It's also possible that this complex screen is really expensive. Even the mono eink 6″ are very expensive panels compared to a similar size LCD.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I bought the PocketBook Colour (6") device when it came out. The display is inferior to the later Kaleido ones. However, I use it as my main fiction reading device and am happy with the colours when reading graphic novels on it. Maybe it's because I'm a glass half full guy, and/or maybe because I find the static e-ink displays to be more restful on my brain than lcd screens, but I'm just grateful to have such a device. People like me may not be in the majority, but there are probably enough of us to make such devices profitable, despite their drawbacks.

I'm fine with Quoth rubbishing the colour e-ink displays every chance he gets; he is probably saving many people grief who might have ordered a device with one and then been really unhappy with it. It's definitely not technology that is ready for everyone, but it is ready for a few of us.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #13
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
What’s with the first picture - there’s something resembling a pen on the right hand side of the device, implying writing support. Misleading advertising much?
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I bought the PocketBook Colour (6") device when it came out. The display is inferior to the later Kaleido ones. However, I use it as my main fiction reading device and am happy with the colours when reading graphic novels on it. Maybe it's because I'm a glass half full guy, and/or maybe because I find the static e-ink displays to be more restful on my brain than lcd screens, but I'm just grateful to have such a device. People like me may not be in the majority, but there are probably enough of us to make such devices profitable, despite their drawbacks.

I'm fine with Quoth rubbishing the colour e-ink displays every chance he gets; he is probably saving many people grief who might have ordered a device with one and then been really unhappy with it. It's definitely not technology that is ready for everyone, but it is ready for a few of us.
Fair comment. I do try to simply balance the hype with basic physics. They aren't rubbish but are certainly a niche in a niche. There are real use cases.

The Kaleido is real eInk with various filters depending on model. The Gallery AECP is made by E Ink the company, but doesn't appear to be traditional eink panels. The Gallery types thus on the plus can do closer to PC HighColor (about 50,000) vs about 4000 for Kaleido (which is either saturated and dark, or brighter but only pastel de-saturated shades). The Gallery panels, according to E Ink Corp themselves, are very very slow, up to 1.5 seconds to "turn" a colour page. Video suggests Gallery panels flash/dither/flicker for much of that 1.5 seconds.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:11 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
"the price of €599" <The End>
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colour, colour ebook reader, pocketbook, pocketbook viva, viva