Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
banjoman
banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kobo touch
'CONNECT' disappears on connection to PC

Can anyone help? I've never had any problems with my Touch, but now when I plug it in to my PC, 'CONNECT' flashes up for a split second then is replaced by the standard front page. This means that I cannot recharge or add books. Any suggestions welcome!
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try a different USB cable and/or pott on your PC

Other option is a damaged USB port on the Touch itself.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
banjoman
banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kobo touch
Thanks Peter T. Changed USB cable and problem solved!
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Hello,

I got a comparable problem.
Setup: Kobo Touch (N905, the "first" version). Mac (old PPC) and PC (Windows 7). Around the time I updated to 3.2.0, the USB connection started to act odd, but only when connecting the Kobo to an USB-Hub (I use two different Hubs from different manufactures on the two computers). Either the Kobo doesn't show the "connect" dialog upon plug-in, or it flashes only for fractions of a second. Charging works nevertheless (green LED). When I let it sit for a while it sometimes miraculously pops up the dialog and I can mount it. But if I copy some books over the connection drops randomly (the more I copy, the bigger the chances are. More than approx. 10 MB and an eject is a near certainty). Again, this only happens when using an USB-Hub. When using an USB port, this doesn't happen. Very annoying.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Are they powered or unpowered hubs?
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Are they powered or unpowered hubs?
One is powered (Mac), one is unpowered (Windows 7).
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Hubs historically have not been very often recommended for use with storage devices over USB. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a warning against connecting through hubs in the Kobo product literature... Further, even with a powered hub, depending on what you're operating through it you could be near or even slightly exceeding the current it's intended to supply thereby causing problems in terms of current supply and voltage drop.

You could, temporarily, unplug the other devices from the hub and see if that makes a difference...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Geeky
Enthusiast

Hi,

sorry for the delay in my response, but I was on the road. Anyway, what I didn't properly convey in my first post: Connecting the Kobo using the hubs did work fine for years. It just started acting up recently. I didn't change anything on that setup (no added USB devices, updated software on the Mac/PC, etc.). Only thing I can think of was the update to firmware 3.2. The errors started around that time. But I'm not sure it's related to this update. In the meantime I upgraded to 3.3, but the error is still present.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It could be a bug, but it's probably a matter of interpretation and more likely you were marginally getting by doing something you shouldn't. Perhaps they changed something throughput related or response time based(tightened up specs), or drivers got updated on your PC, and now a marginal connection fails...

If you know it works fine without the hub, there is your solution. AFAIK, there is no guarantee that any device will be compatible with anything but a direct connection to a USB port, not a hub, not an internal hub, Nada.

The fact that it still works on a direct connection pretty much indicates they are within spec for a direct USB connection, so not really a bug.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I had a similar issue transferring books once upon a time and it was related to a corrupted database on the reader. You might try logging out and back into the reader to let it rebuild the database, but if that's the problem you shouldn't be having any better luck transferring books without the hubs...

Are you sure you don't have a bad, stressed, or too long cable somewhere in the mix?

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-09-2014 at 12:00 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote