Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
The Chronicle of Grimm Dragonblaster or the Temeraire Series

Hi all,

Has anyone read both series? Which one did you like better?

I have about enough micropay dollars to get either series. Want to use up my micropay dollars, as not sure what is going on with fictionwise these days.

Thanks.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have read the first 4 Temeraire books and enjoyed them. Got a bit distracted while reading the 5th and didn't finish, but is definitely still on my reading list.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have read both series and between them much prefer Grimm Dragonblaster. Temeraire is OK but I found that as I got into later books, the plot became tedious and the characters increasingly wooden and uninteresting.

Whereas I read all of the Temeraire books because I had bought them, I eagerly read all of the books in the Grimm Dragonblaster series.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Nooooo! I hadn't heard of Grimm Dragonblaster. Another one for the queue...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Dragonblaster
Dragonblaster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thanks again for the vote of confidence, Richard. I am working on Book 7 at the moment, but it is slow going . Work is a bit of a bind, and, alas, although I'd much rather be Grimming, the royalties don't yet outweigh my wages.

I am more than happy with what I've written so far.

Kind regards

Alastair Archibald
Dragonblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Nooooo! I hadn't heard of Grimm Dragonblaster. Another one for the queue...
Same here. It sounds interesting so I just got the first one from Amazon.

For me Temeraire was really good for the first three books and started getting ho-hum after that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I truly enjoy Naomi Novik's work but I have never heard of the Dragonblaster series. I checked B&N and for $2, it's definitely worth a try. The reviews sound promising.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
Thanks again for the vote of confidence, Richard. I am working on Book 7 at the moment, but it is slow going . Work is a bit of a bind, and, alas, although I'd much rather be Grimming, the royalties don't yet outweigh my wages.

I am more than happy with what I've written so far.

Kind regards

Alastair Archibald
Well, I just bought all six of your books. Just doing my part to get you 'Grimming'

Look forward to reading them.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I have read both series and between them much prefer Grimm Dragonblaster. Temeraire is OK but I found that as I got into later books, the plot became tedious and the characters increasingly wooden and uninteresting.
I lent my mother the first novel, and she said that the dialogue sounded like the author read a lot of gothic romances as a teenager. She did both parts of one of the conversations as a monologue, and it was hilarious. I so wish she would let me record it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm opposed to Naomi Novik's other activities -- particularly, her attempt to make herself and her organization some kind of gatekeepers of fanfiction, their very explicit declaration that the world of fanfic is a female community, and one of her board members' bizarre statements that slash is the highest and most noble form of "transformative works" (i.e., fanfic) and anyone whose writing owes more to canon than to some strange compulsion to make two canonically straight men fall in love with each other need not apply. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't so insistent that their opinions and their beliefs are the One True Way, and their poor judgment, IMO, in declaring that they want the right to sell their fanfic, which, all else aside, is going to stir up the rights-holders like nothing else. Given how many fanfic communities have been nearly eradicated by the owners of the copyrights we infringe for our stories, that particular pot doesn't need any more stirring.

So the books look interesting, but I'm not giving any money to their author. I have more than enough else on my TBR list; I choose not to support someone who I not only disagree with wholeheartedly, and some of whose views I find abhorrent, but who is putting at risk a hobby and a community very important to me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Dragonblaster
Dragonblaster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Well, I just bought all six of your books. Just doing my part to get you 'Grimming'

Look forward to reading them.
Why, thank you so much, foghat! I'll do my best.
Dragonblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Here is my original post from sometime ago about the Dragonblaster series, in case anyone is interested.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
foghat
Evangelist

^ good stuff. A light read is right up my alley. I just finished reading the 1st cirque du freak book (darren shan) and was about to buy the others on fictionwise when they got pulled down.

Am currently reading The Lovely Bones and then will give Dragonblaster a go.

Last edited by foghat; 04-30-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Is the Dragonblaster series available DRM-free?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Is the Dragonblaster series available DRM-free?
It's Multiformat on Fictionwise which is DRM Free. Unfortunately it appears the Kindle version has DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote