Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #271
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wow!

That's really, really an aggressive and low price! Even the one without ads, just about 100 bucks is a really nice price!
It comes at a price though. It has half the battery life (1 month vs 2 months) and half the storage (2GB vs 4GB) of the Touch version.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #272
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank goodness for that! Perhaps the alphabetical one is just on the non-Touch version in that case.

VERY happy to be wrong about that - thanks!
Hi Harry,

Can you elaborate a bit more, please? Did Amazon change the keyboard layout or the way it displays on the non touch device?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #273
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It comes at a price though. It has half the battery life (1 month vs 2 months) and half the storage (2GB vs 4GB) of the Touch version.
It actually only has 38% of the usable storage: 1.25GB vs. 3.25GB. In each case, you lose .75 GB to the operating system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #274
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hi Harry,

Can you elaborate a bit more, please? Did Amazon change the keyboard layout or the way it displays on the non touch device?
Yes - see the link to the picture I posted earlier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #275
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It actually only has 38% of the usable storage: 1.25GB vs. 3.25GB. In each case, you lose .75 GB to the operating system.
True. I also noticed that the BK is missing the audio player, so no audiobooks. They really stripped this model to get to $79.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #276
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
True. I also noticed that the BK is missing the audio player, so no audiobooks. They really stripped this model to get to $79.
But....but....that means all you can do on it is, like, read....? Like on, y'know, a book? That sounds like it's an EBR for Neandra...Neuderth...cave men!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #277
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That sounds like it's an EBR for Neandra...Neuderth...cave men!
*thumps chest and grunts*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #278
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
But....but....that means all you can do on it is, like, read....? Like on, y'know, a book? That sounds like it's an EBR for Neandra...Neuderth...cave men!
I read with my ears
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #279
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I was watching the Kindle (with buttons) video on Engadget and noticed that they are using the full screen refresh every 6 pages that the Kobo Touch and Nook STR uses. I have a STR and that does not bother me but know that some people do not like it.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #280
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Is there anyone who is not happy?

Well a little bit anyway.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #281
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Is there anyone who is not happy?

Well a little bit anyway.
I'm happy as hell. I'm not personally interested in any of the new devices that Amazon just unveiled, but I'm generally a happy guy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #282
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I agree. No reason why a smartphone should have more storage than a tablet. I'll wait for the nook color 2 before making any decisions.

And 7.5 hrs battery life with wireless OFF?
Yeah the lack of an expansion slot is deal breaker for me. Plus on a 7" tablet I wouldn't mind a couple of cameras. We just bought a Samsung washer dryer set and the promo mail in offer was for a Samsung Tab. I can throw a few ereader apps on it and be good to go.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #283
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Amazon is losing about $50.00 per tablet

Like I said this morning, some analyst say Kindle Fire is being sold 50 bucks below any profit and actual cost. At least, that's why some experts say.

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-will...sold-28183762/

So, everything is and will be about Amazon's content of course.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #284
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
Yeah the lack of an expansion slot is deal breaker for me.
Same here, but it's still good to see competition out there, hopefully keeps B&N from resting on their laurels. I'm happy with my NookColor & not looking to replace it yet, but keeping an eye on the 7" tablets. Very curious to see the NC2 along with other tablets that might come out for the holiday season.

Oh, also bittersweet to hear about the 100 exclusive graphic novels for the Fire. I really wish the comic industry would get onboard with digital publishing. I'm not very keen on the separate apps for separate publishers. Just let me purchase it like any other ebook from any ebook store already! Who knows...hopefully the exclusivity agreement is limited and this is a start to that.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #285
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Too bad Kindle Touch doesn't benefit from the 'Silk' browser acceleration.
I agree. I'm considering a 3G touch, but a silk browser would seal the deal.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote