Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I'm pretty certain the moderators read this, but you can always use the little blue exclamation mark next to the Karma on a post that you have a problem with (in this case excessive signature) to send a note to the moderators (the ones whose usernames are green).
yes, exactly. that is the "report post" button i mentioned :

Quote:
The only thing I'll say (and I must admit that the example you posted does seem to be pushing boundaries somewhat) is that it is probably near impossible to police this sort of area, or even get agreement on what is really acceptable. So some tolerance is probably needed...
very well said, and precisely why we don't want to make a hard-and-fast, overly restrictive rule about it.

Quote:
At least on my browser the images appear to be smaller than in your image, so some changes have been made.
yes. this person was asked to reduce the size of the images, and did so graciously.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've started to notice more and more signatures that are quite long and/or image-heavy.

I've never liked "space-hogging" signatures on discussion forums, they take up so much unnessecary space and attention, but lately I've seen signatures used for what I can only call advertising. And if it's discreet I guess it's okay, but something like the attachment is far too much in my opinion. It's really annoying and pretty close to being spam.

Unfortunately I don't know who to contact about it or complain to - but it's really bothering me that users don't respect the wish for discrete signatures.
The post does seem to get lost in a sea of overly large cover images.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I'd think there should be an outright ban on images in signatures. They clog up the whole page and are obnoxious.
Agree.
Forum is a place for info, chat, talk. An occasional picture here and there to support an argument is perfectly fine, however, pictures in signatures only an annoyance and distraction.
It would be nice if pics in signatures were outlawed.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is also a matter of fairness. I had a smaller than the example cover of my husband's book in mine for an hour or so. A moderator asked me to take it off, so I did and instead have been using it as my avatar. I feel a bit grumpy when I see other sigs with big ol' cover images that go unnoticed.

Now, can we please do something about the animated avatars? They slow things down to a crawl. But they are certainly fun to watch!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It is also a matter of fairness. I had a smaller than the example cover of my husband's book in mine for an hour or so. A moderator asked me to take it off, so I did and instead have been using it as my avatar. I feel a bit grumpy when I see other sigs with big ol' cover images that go unnoticed.

Now, can we please do something about the animated avatars? They slow things down to a crawl. But they are certainly fun to watch!
Seconded. Those blinky avatars drive me insane! (which is a very short trip)
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I personally feel that a signature -- text, graphic, or otherwise -- should never be more than 1/2 the height of the message it's signing. So if you're someone who posts one-liners, give up on the sig entirely. Of course, that doesn't mean I could use a half-page-long sig; there has to be some upper limit!

And yeah, that one in particular bothered me -- not only for its spamminess, but for the example it sets. One person with a sig like that is merely annoying ... ten of them would make the forum nearly unusable (I've seen it happen, though with gamers).

Advertising itself, it it is discrete and tasteful -- "My new book XXX of the YYY is out, buy it at zzz.com" -- isn't a bad thing. Buying books from fellow MR members is good. Those super-sigs, on the other hand, are the equivalent of a bilboard in your face.

I'd vote for no graphics in sigs at all.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
A good thumb rule is to only allow signatures as high as the avatar height.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
After learning about the ability to turn off signatures I've now done so. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a few things, but overall; bliss! Large, visually busy signatures and avatars have always bothered me. It's nice to be rid of them.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After learning about the ability to turn off signatures I've now done so. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a few things, but overall; bliss! Large, visually busy signatures and avatars have always bothered me. It's nice to be rid of them.
So, you won't see mine anymore...
Quote:
Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former
Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #25
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, you won't see mine anymore...
Ah, I haven't turned off avatars actually. I'm still ever so slightly bothered by your animation
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #26
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Ah, I haven't turned off avatars actually. I'm still ever so slightly bothered by your animation
Cannot say that your avatar is that innocent, not that I mind it
Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #27
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Don't look at this post! Or actually left from it!
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Those blinky avatars drive me insane! (which is a very short trip)
I use adblock plugin for my Firefox.
When I see an avatar that I really, really dislike, I right-click on it and select "block this image".
That is it. No more super annoying animated images to distract my eyes reading interesting thread.
You can do the same with unwanted pictures in a sig.

If you dislike a long text someone has in his sig, and you do not want to disable all signatures, have a look at the software called Privoxy.
Privoxy is a proxy server that sits on your PC and all html traffic from your browser is routed through the Privoxy. You can configure Privoxy to change certain text on pages, block images of certain sizes, unanimate animated gifs, you can let animated gifs to make just ONE animation instead of a loop animation. You can scrub out almost anything. Privoxy supports interesting configuration options based on Regular Expressions. Really powerful stuff.

I used to use Privoxy long time ago, before there was Adblock (not as configurable, but I am lazy and Adblock works good enough).

You can also use UserContent.css mechanism on all browsers that are based on mozilla engine to do very interesting things, including scrubbing out images, advertisment, formatting or other unwanted elements.
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Use Adblock Plus in Fire Fox as kacir has suggested.
I have blocked quite a few annoying avatars this way.

The only drawback is when you have more than one computer. You have to repeat the blocking on each computer. For example, I use desktop and netbook at home and desktop at work.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A temporary solution someone mentioned was to hit the ESC key, which stops the animations. I'm not sure if this works in all browsers. Obviously it is not necessarily a permanent solution as detailed above, but may be useful for those who find the annoyance intermittent and of variable level (like me - only sometimes, usually when I'm migrainal, do I find some animations aggravating).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote