Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #61
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Go to the Kobo forum for help. BTW, I have Win 8 on three machines and I have had no problems on any of them with my Kobo devices.

EDIT: What exactly are you trying to set up? I do not see a Kobo device listed on your profile.
No Device...was trying to get the Kobo App on my PC. In 2010 I had 2 Literati on my Kobo account... when they crashed I stopped got on Kobo. When I had T1 I joined Sony Store...but I didn't like it sold it but I did buy ebooks thru my PC. Converted them in calibe for my Kindles. I actually spent $30 on the 1/2 price sale at Christmas!!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #62
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
The easiest way around that is when Sony send out instructions on how to transition to Kobo follow them creating a new US Kobo account. You'll end up with 2 kobo accounts(you'll need 2 email addresses) but it would be easier than trying to switch regions mid flight
Ah, thanks for that. I was wondering how you had managed to create another Kobo account. Only trick right now is that both my Sony and my Kobo accounts are set up using the same e-mail address. Hm, will have to work on that...
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #63
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I know some questions were raised about whether Sony will update the firmware on the T1 or T2 for the new ADE DRM especially since the last update for both was in November 2012. I'm not sure about the new RMSDK, but this from the Kobo faq at http://www.kobo.com/sony?utm_source=sonyNA indicates they might at least provide SOME update to address the Reader Store closing:

Quote:
In the coming weeks, you’ll also be able to buy eBooks at the Kobo Store from your Reader desktop software application and directly from specific* Wi-Fi Readers from Sony.
*Sony Readers PRS-T1, PRS-T2, and PRS-T3
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #64
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Ah, thanks for that. I was wondering how you had managed to create another Kobo account. Only trick right now is that both my Sony and my Kobo accounts are set up using the same e-mail address. Hm, will have to work on that...
Why not just change the Country on the Kobo account Now. Might save headaches when the switch comes. & you wont need new email account.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #65
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I know some questions were raised about whether Sony will update the firmware on the T1 or T2 for the new ADE DRM especially since the last update for both was in November 2012. I'm not sure about the new RMSDK, but this from the Kobo faq at http://www.kobo.com/sony?utm_source=sonyNA indicates they might at least provide SOME update to address the Reader Store closing:
Sony's FAQ's:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45014

quote:
Can I use my Reader from Sony to buy eBooks directly from Kobo? (Top)
In late March, we will release an update to the Reader for PC/Mac® software that will enable you to directly connect to the Kobo Store for future purchases. You can use the software then to also transfer the titles via USB to any of your Reader models from Sony .

In late May 2014, Kobo will launch a version of its eBook Store that you will be able to access directly from your Wi-Fi Reader (PRS-T1, PRS-T2, and PRS-T3) from Sony .

The Reader PRS-900 and PRS-950 devices will no longer have direct access to an eBook store after Reader Store closes. However, any eBooks purchased from Kobo can still be loaded onto your device via USB transfer.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #66
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I synced my Sony 350 with the Kobo Desktop software - Kobo-bought books transferred and displayed fine.

As long as Sony-bought books are integrated into the Kobo library, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how the merge is working out so far.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I synced my Sony 350 with the Kobo Desktop software - Kobo-bought books transferred and displayed fine.

As long as Sony-bought books are integrated into the Kobo library, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how the merge is working out so far.
Me too. I am looking forward to these two accounts being combined. I'm hoping the transition goes smoothly like moving Borders books to Kobo did. The transfer of Fictionwise books to B&N also was smooth for me but not for many others. So fingers crossed Sony to Kobo goes well! I'm impatient for it to just happen now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #68
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
In late May 2014, Kobo will launch a version of its eBook Store that you will be able to access directly from your Wi-Fi Reader (PRS-T1, PRS-T2, and PRS-T3) from Sony.
Aha, they'll probably redirect the URL's the reader uses to purchase to Kobo and interpret the calls. That means no update needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The Reader PRS-900 and PRS-950 devices will no longer have direct access to an eBook store after Reader Store closes. However, any eBooks purchased from Kobo can still be loaded onto your device via USB transfer.[/I]
Yeah, this is addressed in Kobo's FAQ by saying that the 3G access for those readers will go away in April.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #69
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Aha, they'll probably redirect the URL's the reader uses to purchase to Kobo and interpret the calls. That means no update needed.
That would be the easy way to do it, but I won't be surprised if they did a firmware update. The current URL would be registered to Sony (which in theory isn't a big deal to change) but probably has SONY somewhere in it and Sony probably won't want to give up control of that which means that Kobo may well want to change the URL in the device. Sure, Sony could license it to Kobo, but they may not want to be bothered with that for the long term. If it is just a random alpha/numeric URL then I'd agree that they may well just redirect it. If I was Kobo and didn't have direct control over the URL I'd be changing while it's possible (i.e. while they have Sony's help to do so).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #70
hwlester
Wizard

I like the Sony Reader Android app much better than the Kobo app. It reads both EPUB and PDF and supports side loading and intents, so I will probably continue to use it even after Sony stops supporting it.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #71
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
That is my plan too. Am I correct that the books have to be downloaded (not just listed) on the device by March 20?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #72
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
That is my plan too. Am I correct that the books have to be downloaded (not just listed) on the device by March 20?
According to the Sony website, we have until April 30, 2014, to download our stuff.

https://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #73
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Me too. I am looking forward to these two accounts being combined. I'm hoping the transition goes smoothly like moving Borders books to Kobo did. The transfer of Fictionwise books to B&N also was smooth for me but not for many others. So fingers crossed Sony to Kobo goes well! I'm impatient for it to just happen now.
I'm hoping it will go smoothly as well.

I am wondering how the "duplicate" books will be handled. I have a bunch of books originally purchased at Kobo where the formatting was just horrid. So I repurchased them from Sony. This was during the time period where Kobo was adament all sales were final and refused to issue refunds for books where the formatting was messed up to the point the books were unreadable. Since the "bad" versions of the book are still on sale at Kobo I suspect that is the version that will stay in the library. I wish they could somehow get the "clean" copies that Sony has.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #74
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
My Sony Reader battery will not hold a charge and I was thinking about getting a cheap tablet for the sole purpose of downloading all the books in my Sony library. Kindle HD is on WOOT today. Can you install Sony and Kobo apps? Probably not.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #75
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
My Sony Reader battery will not hold a charge and I was thinking about getting a cheap tablet for the sole purpose of downloading all the books in my Sony library. Kindle HD is on WOOT today. Can you install Sony and Kobo apps? Probably not.
I just checked the Amazon Appstore and didn't see the Kobo or Sony apps. You should be able to sideload them, though.