Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #46
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Best Buy is where I get my Sony cards when they have them. I have Never seen Kobo there.

Right now Kobo Refuses to go past Setup on my Win 8... Didn't have thei problem with Sony or Kindle! sheesh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #47
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Best Buy is where I get my Sony cards when they have them. I have Never seen Kobo there.

Right now Kobo Refuses to go past Setup on my Win 8... Didn't have thei problem with Sony or Kindle! sheesh
Go to the Kobo forum for help. BTW, I have Win 8 on three machines and I have had no problems on any of them with my Kobo devices.

EDIT: What exactly are you trying to set up? I do not see a Kobo device listed on your profile.

Last edited by taming; 02-10-2014 at 08:28 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #48
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo was no help! I couldn't even send them a message cause I couldn't answer all the dumb questions! But a friend came over & between the 2 of use a several hours we finally got it done! Now guess I just have to wait for the email to do the transfer...sigh
Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #49
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Does this mean that Sony are bowing out of the ereader market altogether, or just the books? Seems like the thin end of the wedge to me.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #50
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Does this mean that Sony are bowing out of the ereader market altogether, or just the books? Seems like the thin end of the wedge to me.
We don't know what more it means just yet but that would be my guess too. Right now they're just saying they're closing the ebook store. As much as it saddens me, I think it's the end of the line for them.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #51
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Same with laptops. Check out their website store. Full of discontinued models.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm curious how Sony owners outside Canada/US view this, since I assume Sony isn't pulling the plug on the stores in EU, UK, Japan. Do you think they're making enough money to keep competing in those regions? Or do you think they are preparing to hand that over to Kobo as well?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #53
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm in the UK and I'm assuming that this will soon become international. My main reader is currently the 505, but I'm looking for a new one and giving Sony models a miss precisely because of this announcement.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #54
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm curious how Sony owners outside Canada/US view this, since I assume Sony isn't pulling the plug on the stores in EU, UK, Japan. Do you think they're making enough money to keep competing in those regions? Or do you think they are preparing to hand that over to Kobo as well?
For the moment, at least, the bigger concern is for those of us outside the US with US Sony accounts and a "local" Kobo account. Am wondering if my remaining Sony credit will transfer to my existing Kobo account.

The Sonys are still available here, both through our wholesale supplier (we have a computer business) and in the electronics/appliance stores. Sony has never had a book store here in France, to my knowledge - I guess you just buy books through the regular retail outlets (basically, the stores that sell the readers) - that is, unless you buy a Kindle, where you pretty much have to go through Amazon for the books.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #55
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
For the moment, at least, the bigger concern is for those of us outside the US with US Sony accounts and a "local" Kobo account. Am wondering if my remaining Sony credit will transfer to my existing Kobo account.
The easiest way around that is when Sony send out instructions on how to transition to Kobo follow them creating a new US Kobo account. You'll end up with 2 kobo accounts(you'll need 2 email addresses) but it would be easier than trying to switch regions mid flight
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #56
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
The easiest way around that is when Sony send out instructions on how to transition to Kobo follow them creating a new US Kobo account. You'll end up with 2 kobo accounts(you'll need 2 email addresses) but it would be easier than trying to switch regions mid flight

Hey thanks for that! The info was also applicable to me. I have a US & Canadian account. K to you my friend!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #57
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I decide yesterday to Op out of the transfer... yep I lose the money but not worth the headaches. Kobo sucks! I was a member on Kobo in 2010 not 1/2 bad but the site is the pits now! Good luck!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #58
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you opt out, you have all your current books downloaded to your hard drive, what is your next step?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #59
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Yes as I said before I have my ebooks safe & backed up LOL No next step!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #60
benham
Guru

I am not big on Kobo either, but since all my books are backed up, I figure it doesn't do any harm to sign up.