Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Credit Card... Le Weirdnezz...

Some time ago I took advantage of the re-usable 75-90% codes Kobo had handed out, and bought 108 books. Now, I was looking through my credit card transactions and noticed something strange regarding one of the bills. Normally it works like this:

REPORT OF APRIL 2014
Transaction 1: €10
Transaction 2: €10
Transaction 3: €10
PAYMENT, LAST REPORT: -€78 <- This would be the total of the report of March

So, the total of a month will be billed in the month thereafter; this month, the deduction would be €78, next month it would be €30. So far so good.

Now, I see this:

PAYMENT, LAST REPORT: -€193

Deduction of €193. So, I go back one report, to the one that should add up to €193. Hey. The Kobo spree month. That wasn't €193, more like €60 or so.

*count, count, count* 108 Kobo transactions... all are €0.44 or €0.50... two other transactions... looks good. Total: €64.

Maybe I missed something.
*Scan all the lines... all amounts are like €0.45-50, except for one of about €10*
*count, count, count* -> €64

Damnation. Check all months after, and all months before.

*count, count, count* -> report adds up to X, and X was deducted the month after. Correct.
* Rinse, repeat. Count my fracking brains out *

Result: everything correct, but the Kobo month was billed for €193, while there is €64 on the report.

I'm going to take a look into this at the bank tomorrow, but is there something I could be missing; some sort of hidden fee that is not in the report but added afterward or something?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-07-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
could be that your bank is charging you a foreign transaction fee for each of the transactions. That's why i stopped using my card and always use PP with Kobo transactions. I was getting charged an extra dollar per
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expect such a charge to be on the report. Also, ALL of my transactions with the credit card are foreign; mostly Germany, UK or US, either direct (Amazon, Feedbooks) or through PayPal (everything else, basically).
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

It's fixed.

I forgot some Delphi books and two presents I bought, and the report on the internet was not complete. It seems to stop at 120 entries. (Of which 108 were Kobo books already ) I called the bank, and they were able to tell me the transactions; the two biggest ones (which I did do) account for over 90% of the 'missing' money.

Incomplete reports. Mèèh.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This is why I do finances the ol' school way... With an app that I fill out manually on my iDevices. It helps when stuff like this comes up.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to hear it was actually something you did and not some random using your info.

i just had to file a complaint because someone used 'my card' (which is still in my wallet by the way) to buy $94 (USD) of gas 5 states away. My co-worker had two random charges (from the same state mind you) on his card a week earlier as it turns out. His card is also still in his wallet. Things is I never even use that card online, save once on amazon (i think it was) and months ago at that.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Many years ago (good grief, 30 years ago!), when I was a student, I was unwittingly the cause of some 'phantom withdrawls'.

My bank card got damaged, so I got a new one from my bank. It had a different number on it, but had my full name. My balance when I checked it at a cash machine seemed a little bit different than I expected, but not enormously. However, after a couple of weeks using the card, making the small withdrawls I needed as a student, I did raise the issue with my bank.

It turns out they'd issued me with a card in my name and with my PIN but with someone else's bank account details on the card....

The balances got adjusted and I got a new card. With the proper details.

Whether they fixed the systems to stop something like that happening again, I don't know.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It turns out they'd issued me with a card in my name and with my PIN but with someone else's bank account details on the card....
A card that takes money out of someone else's account seems ideal to me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A card that takes money out of someone else's account seems ideal to me!
Yea, unless it's your account or you get caught and have to pay it back to someone else.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
i just had to file a complaint because someone used 'my card' (which is still in my wallet by the way) to buy $94 (USD) of gas 5 states away. My co-worker had two random charges (from the same state mind you) on his card a week earlier as it turns out. His card is also still in his wallet. Things is I never even use that card online, save once on amazon (i think it was) and months ago at that.
Some banks will contact you over such 'remote' usages. And if they can't contact you they'll put out a 'seize & destroy' order on the card. Happened to me a number of years back. Strangely it never seemed to occur to the bank that the same circumstances (usage in 'remote' areas, unable to reach the card holder via phone) fit someone on vacation at least as well as someone who's card (or card #) has been stolen.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Some banks will contact you over such 'remote' usages. And if they can't contact you they'll put out a 'seize & destroy' order on the card. Happened to me a number of years back. Strangely it never seemed to occur to the bank that the same circumstances (usage in 'remote' areas, unable to reach the card holder via phone) fit someone on vacation at least as well as someone who's card (or card #) has been stolen.
I would assume that is why they call you to check. And surely it is better to temporarily lose access so that in other situations you don't lose all your money...

I am pretty sure you can call them in advance to say you will be in _____ on vacation and any charges from there should be cleared.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would assume that is why they call you to check. And surely it is better to temporarily lose access so that in other situations you don't lose all your money...

I am pretty sure you can call them in advance to say you will be in _____ on vacation and any charges from there should be cleared.
With a credit card you can't lose all your money, not in the U.S. anyway. You're only liable for $50. That's why I only use credit cards for any charges, not debit cards. I get cash back too so I make money by charging everything. You just need to make sure you don't spend more than you can afford.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Did you shop at Target last winter? Or Michael's (craft store)? Or Neiman Marcus? All those brick-and-mortar stores had credit card breaches - and I think they all happened last year.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Did you shop at Target last winter? Or Michael's (craft store)? Or Neiman Marcus? All those brick-and-mortar stores had credit card breaches - and I think they all happened last year.
Huh...didn't know that about Michael's (I don't think). Another place both myself and co-worker frequent is Meijer's, but I can't remember hearing anything about them either.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Things is I never even use that card online, save once on amazon (i think it was) and months ago at that.
There are of course a bunch of ways to have your number compromised without using it online.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote