Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #16
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
That was one of the first things I looked for in the FAQs
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Be sure to log in any gift cards tho - those won't transfer, unless they are in the form of credits on your account when you do the move...

As for the sony pc software - it appears it will be pushed to everyone using it. Not sure there is any way to prevent the upgrade (the phone/android apps are not upgrading, so should be safe, for now).

If it goes to a completely Kobo scheme, then you won't get EPUBs at all, just embedded kepub in a database on your computer. It appears, though, it will just switch the back-end store that is linked.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
As for the sony pc software - it appears it will be pushed to everyone using it. Not sure there is any way to prevent the upgrade (the phone/android apps are not upgrading, so should be safe, for now).
My experience with the Sony Reader for PC software updates is that when you open the program you'll get a notification dialogue box if there's going to be an upgrade and then you either go ahead with the upgrade or click out of it.

I've often clicked out of it in the past until I'm satisfied that I want the upgrade.

The most annoying part will just be to click out of the box each time that you open Reader for PC.

Edit
In preferences there's a click box for Check Updates automatically - uncheck it when the time comes.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 02-07-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add the edit
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also I might add - in Preferences you can choose your country - for those who are currently affected by the Sony Ebook store closure, (which seems to only be the US and Canada) you can change your country to say GB or Aus.

Edit
I'm in Aus but usually have my country store set to the US, because the Aus is not accessible through Reader for PC (and it's too expensive anyway).

So changing your country code is not an issue or a hassle.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 02-07-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add the edit
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Be sure to log in any gift cards tho - those won't transfer, unless they are in the form of credits on your account when you do the move...
Good advice. Guess what the wife got me for Valentine's Day?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sony Gift Card LOL

One reason I thinking of not bothering is No Gift Cards for Kobo... this will suck!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sony Gift Card LOL

One reason I thinking of not bothering is No Gift Cards for Kobo... this will suck!
Kobo has eGift cards (the ones you buy online and send via email) in some countries, so it may just a matter of time until they become available in the US.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Kobo has eGift cards (the ones you buy online and send via email) in some countries, so it may just a matter of time until they become available in the US.

IF I had a way to buy an eGift Card I wouldn't need it! I buy my Sony in Stores! Same as Amazon to ADD to my accounts to buy ebooks!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Also I might add - in Preferences you can choose your country - for those who are currently affected by the Sony Ebook store closure, (which seems to only be the US and Canada) you can change your country to say GB or Aus.

Edit
I'm in Aus but usually have my country store set to the US, because the Aus is not accessible through Reader for PC (and it's too expensive anyway).

So changing your country code is not an issue or a hassle.
Since I no longer have a Sony ereader & only use the PC think I try changing countries! I always wanted to visit AUS
Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

IF I had a way to buy an eGift Card I wouldn't need it! I buy my Sony in Stores! Same as Amazon to ADD to my accounts to buy ebooks!
Kobo also sell physical gift cards in bookstores in some countries, e.g. New Zealand. But I don't know if that will happen in the US, it probably depends on whether the retailers will stock the cards.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #26
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Only place I can get Sony is Best Buy. I never seen Kobo Anywhere been a member for years when I got our Literatti at Bed Bath & Beyond... they died after a yr. But I still pick up freebies now & then from Kobo.
Whats the currency in AUS? Do they post it in $ & cents like Kobo?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Only place I can get Sony is Best Buy. I never seen Kobo Anywhere been a member for years when I got our Literatti at Bed Bath & Beyond... they died after a yr. But I still pick up freebies now & then from Kobo.
Whats the currency in AUS? Do they post it in $ & cents like Kobo?
Katie our currency is the Aus $ (AUD).

The Sony Aus store is off the Reader for PC site - you will be redirected once you change your preferences to Aus and click on Other I think it says rather than Store

But it's too dear to buy books from.

The advantage to changing Reader for PC to Aus or the UK or NZ is that it keeps Reader for PC 'alive' so to speak.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I might also add that I don't sync my Sony Reader for PC to my 650 - look for the option that allows that if you were unaware that you didn't have to sync.

That way I can and do download all epubs irrespective of where I buy them into Reader for PC and then import immediately into Calibre where they are cleaned.

Then I send them to whichever device I want to read that book on.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #29
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I Clean mine then sideload to K3.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I don't think their selection is extensive, and with one less player in the game, wouldn't expect their prices to be any lower.
I've rarely not been able to find a book that I wanted at Kobo, even more exotic non-fiction books. In general, if it's sold as an epub, Kobo has it (everything the Apple and Google bookstores have, the Kobo one does as well).

Kobo always has discount codes. In December, for example, there was an unlimited 50% off code, which was pretty devastating for some of us!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote