Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Sony Store transitioning to Kobo

I received notice about Sony Store transitioning to Kobo.

Is this good? Are prices at Kobo good? Does Kobo offer a lot of free ebooks like Sony? Etc.? Etc.?

. . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
IMO, this will not be good, but it is happening, so what can you do? I don't think their selection is extensive, and with one less player in the game, wouldn't expect their prices to be any lower. Not sure about free offers. I'll have to check that out.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't think it's good when a vendor leaves the market -- it reduces competition -- but I think I've only ever bought one book at Sony. I've bought several at Kobo, and they have regular "coupon" discounts, so I don't think this is a tragedy.

But I've been wrong before.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I went on the Kobo site and looked up some of the books that are on my current Sony wishlist. Some of them were the same price, some of them were 50 cents cheaper on Kobo, and a few of them were about $2.00 cheaper on Kobo.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Subscribe to the Kobo Discounts thread - there are regularly 50%ish discounts, and sometimes as high as 75%ish.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
You can still download your Kobo bought books straight into Sony Reader for PC. That's what I do.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
You can still download your Kobo bought books straight into Sony Reader for PC. That's what I do.
L, That's good to know.

Thanks!

. . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Except Sony is pushing an update next month, linking the app into the Kobo store. So, don't expect it to be the same, after that. (for those concerned, this will probably mean a re-activation with Adobe, too; I know mine has sometimes pushed me over the 10 limit at Adobe when Sony pushes an update, which means a delay to get the limit increased).

Better to move all you books into ADE or one of the better tablet/phone apps and skip the store-linked apps.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Billingsgate
Buys too many books
Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Except Sony is pushing an update next month, linking the app into the Kobo store. So, don't expect it to be the same, after that. (for those concerned, this will probably mean a re-activation with Adobe, too; I know mine has sometimes pushed me over the 10 limit at Adobe when Sony pushes an update, which means a delay to get the limit increased).

Better to move all you books into ADE or one of the better tablet/phone apps and skip the store-linked apps.
In 4 years I bought only 7 books from Sony, compared to 100+ from Kobo, due to price differences, but have always relied on Sony Reader Library to transfer and sync them to my PRS-650.

Reader Library is excellent for syncing books to your Sony Reader, complete with highlighted passages. ADE and Calibre don't do that. Trouble is, according to other threads here, any new functionality from Kobo-related apps is likely to incorporate the newest Adobe DRM, which (according to some speculation) is so far not removable and might make many books unreadable on older devices, especially ones that don't connect online, such as my reliable PRS-650. See the thread on this topic.

Thus, any enforced changes do not look good from my point of view.
Billingsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
How are you going to deal with this, then? I use Reader for download epubs from the pc to the reader or tablet.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
Beware of the Kobo store. I used to buy books from them, until a couple of months ago. I won a 75% off coupon, bought a book with it, was charged the money, and never got the book (there was some kind of error during checkout). Although my bank account showed their charge, and I sent them a screenshot of it, their only response was that they "have no record of it". They made/stole $1.95, but they lost a customer. Their prices are good with the discount codes, but only if you actually get the book.
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Re the Sony Reader for PC upgrade - I've got no intentions of changing it from what I have now.

The software sits on my PC. I don't use apps.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Wonder if the money on accounts will also transfer? Anyone know?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Wonder if the money on accounts will also transfer? Anyone know?

From the Reader Store :

Quote:
Question
What happens to my credit balance at Reader Store?

Answer
You can still use any credits you might have on your Reader Store account for purchases at Reader Store until March 20, 2014. If you transfer to Kobo before May 31, 2014, your unused credits will transfer with you, and you will be able to use your credits for future purchases at the Kobo Store.

sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I guess I didn't read the Whole letter...just skimmed Didn't give the money on my account any thought til I came here I already taken care of my ebooks DRM removed & ebooks stored to go on Kindle Anyway

at myself!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote