Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
HarperCollins Puts 26 Loan Cap on Ebook Circulations

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...ebook.html.csp
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
These publishers sure are scared to death of ebooks aren't they!!!
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really fail to understand this.

The best explanation I can come up with is that they're trying to replicate the life of a paperbook, which will eventually be worn out. But shouldn't the pricing on an ebook already reflect this? And do hardback books really fall apart after only 26 loans?

Anyone else have ideas about the motive behind this?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I really fail to understand this.

The best explanation I can come up with is that they're trying to replicate the life of a paperbook, which will eventually be worn out. But shouldn't the pricing on an ebook already reflect this? And do hardback books really fall apart after only 26 loans?

Anyone else have ideas about the motive behind this?
Yes it's called greed. There are hb books in librarys that are DECADES old and still in use.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Yes it's called greed. There are hb books in librarys that are DECADES old and still in use.
+1

I wonder whether other publishers will follow suit? I'd be shocked if they didn't.

I'm also curious how much more this will cost libraries, and what effect it will have on collections - i.e., when a book expires, will the library automatically renew its license, or will they look around and maybe make an alternate selection.

But I think the bottom line is that libraries will carry fewer e-books.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
So then I should expect my books at home to fall apart after I have read them 26 times? Really?

I have cookbooks that are 23 years old that have been lovingly used (including getting spilled on regularly) that are still in great shape, and they have been used a lot more than 26 times!

How many Bibles out there fall apart after 26 readings? The publishers would make a KILLING off of Bible Studies if that were the case!
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My thoughts are they are trying to force people to have to buy the ebooks. There is no way the libraries are going to buy ebooks that have to be repurchased every year, or more frequently as my library has a 7 day borrow time option, nor would I expect them to either. HC is making it to where we will have no option but to buy, as borrowing from the library will no longer be an option.

Harper Collins is on my list of do not buy as well.
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

really this whole thing about ebooks has me on the verge of saying screw it all. I am just fed up with the greed today, especially here in a country, the US, which actually produces nothing anymore. We even farm out the manufacture of medications to other countries where, to be honest, they seem to do a very good job, but the point is nothing is actually made here. But now we have become a society where EVERYTHING is a rental not a purchase. How ebooks are allowed to be treated differently than a printed book is very difficult to swallow, not with the modern copyright rules.

Seriously, I just do not get it. Publishers are pricing ebooks to the point that people are retuning to the idea of using libraries again so now they want to increase that revenue stream, or is it they want to destroy the while library system? I just am at the end of my tolerance anymore. I am actually beginning to believe we need some pretty big BONFIRES on the steps of the publishers and Federal buildings. And I had thought we were near the peak of the silly season. Seems as if we can't even see the end of the timber line.

This crap really has sucked the fun out of the idea of reading.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ
Josh Marwell, President, Sales for HarperCollins, told LJ that the 26 circulation limit was arrived at after considering a number of factors, including the average lifespan of a print book, and wear and tear on circulating copies
If the President (Sales) at HarperCollins is this much of an idiot it makes you wonder how they are still publishing anything worth reading. By miracle, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ
If a lending period is two weeks, the 26 circulation limit is likely to equal roughly one year of use for a popular title
Ah ha! The LJ is on it's toes, although they don't go so far as to outright call applesauce on the lame excuse for the mystical 26.

Yes, Publishers, we understand that your content is licensed. But by god, do you really have to reinforce the fact that we are all the consumer equivalent of poodles trained to jump through hoops?! The tricks they are a tirin'.

Truly, in the face of content licenses we are all the brown stuff that needs to be scraped from the publishers boot.

Last edited by Anthem; 02-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Poor libraries. They (publishers) really are beating this horse to death.

If they're really that scared why not just the limit the number of each title instead? I mean, libraries only have a few copies of a single title to lend out at a certain time. Why not just imitate that then remove the cap? Some books in ny university are so old that hardly anyone borrows them anymore

Last edited by wyndslash; 02-25-2011 at 06:04 PM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, out of curiosity I went to my Library Overdrive site and did a quick search on Harper Collins and ePub just to see what authors this would effect

a couple of big names - Jodi Picoult, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Kim Harrison and Debbie MacComber, Christopher Moore...

But what really popped out at me is how many children and Young Adult book series this will effect.

That just isn't right. Those 10000 word Beginning Chapter Readers shouldn't be restricted to 26 loans and a rebuy. Great job there Harper Collins. Lets stop making it easy for parents and teachers to help 3rd graders learn to read!!!!!!

That'll do wonders for your profitability 20 years from now.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well, out of curiosity I went to my Library Overdrive site and did a quick search on Harper Collins and ePub just to see what authors this would effect

a couple of big names - Jodi Picoult, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Kim Harrison and Debbie MacComber, Christopher Moore...

But what really popped out at me is how many children and Young Adult book series this will effect.

That just isn't right. Those 10000 word Beginning Chapter Readers shouldn't be restricted to 26 loans and a rebuy. Great job there Harper Collins. Lets stop making it easy for parents and teachers to help 3rd graders learn to read!!!!!!

That'll do wonders for your profitability 20 years from now.
Who needs to read when you have movies? In twenty years the biggest growing profession will be professional readoutlouders.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Greed and fear make people do the dumbest things. It's a potent mixture. I guess they saw this as a chance to milk the cow for what it's worth. Or beat it. I sure hope we get some competition in the industry soon. Maybe a flourishing of new publishers?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I guess they saw this as a chance to milk the cow for what it's worth. Or beat it.
Never mind. That's a horse.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
They (publishers) really are beating this horse to death.
That's better.