Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
Using same configuration on two computers

I run Calibre (Portable) from an external drive, where also my libraries are stored. What is the best solution to use the exact same settings on two computers?

I usually launch Calibre/calibre.exe, not calibre-portable.exe, and so far, my settings were not stored in the Calibe Portable folder but on the computer, which obviously isn't very portable .

Solutions I'm considering / wondering whether they would work:

- running calibre-portable.exe instead of calibre.exe (is it possible to conveniently handle multiple libraries that way? I have two (none of them is in the 'Calibre Library' folder) and would like Calibre to remember which library I opened the last time.

- storing the configuration data on the computer and syncing them to Dropbox (with Dropbox Folder Sync)

- moving Calibre configuration directory (is it possible?) to either Dropbox or the external drive.

Funnily enough, two years ago I struggled with a similar problem (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202433).

Back then, I was advised to "make a customized COPY and use calibreportable.bat which is found in the resources folder" - would it help in my present situation? And how to do that?

Thanks in advance!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The difference between the portable and regular versions of calibre are that the portable one has calibre-portable.exe -- which stores the config and libraries in the same folder -- and the fact that you don't need administrator rights to extract the Calibre/ folder with the binaries.

Personally, I would use the PortableApps.com version of calibre which handles the configuration using the standard PA.com Format, and also allows you to store libraries anywhere you want (their launcher rewrites the paths to deal with changing Drive letters).
Not knocking Kovid's portable installer, but the PA.com guys have been doing this for a lot longer, and they specialize.
Kovid's version just hardcodes some values, like the original batch script except not editable.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-13-2015 at 01:36 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Joanna - you can relocate the configuration folder used by the 'installed' versions of calibre via CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable - see Customizing calibre.

Whilst it is not officially recommended/supported, some calibre users keep there libraries etc on Dropbox; notably DoctorOhh, a long time user (pioneer) of calibre, and an MR Moderator. I suggest you send him a PM and canvass his thoughts.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-13-2015 at 03:39 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

eschwartz, BetterRed, thanks! Food for thought
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote