Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
scottyboy
scottyboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
new to this

tried to put books on to my kindle and it says it cant do it but if i got them from amazon they will be in my archive but i got them from another site any help
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
scottyboy

help please

im new to this and i downloaded books from a site and tried to move them to my kindle using calibre but it come up something about me downloading them from amazon any help please

Last edited by scottyboy; 12-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What does "it says it can't do it" mean?

To copy books from another site to a Kindle, attach it via USB cable to your pc. The Kindle should then appear as a drive on your pc. Drag and drop the book file(s) from the pc to the "documents" folder of the Kindle drive as it appears on your pc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You are going to need to be a lot more specifc but even then I doubt that you are going to get a ton of help here.

The website you are mentioning is probably not a legitimate source of e-books and this site has very specific rules regarding pirated e-books. For the most part, we do not discuss bit torrent sites here.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
scottyboy

sorry edited post as i said new to this managed to get the books on to calibre but when i moved them to kindle they wouldnt open
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
sorry edited post as i said new to this managed to get the books on to calibre but when i moved them to kindle they wouldnt open
What format are the books?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
scottyboy

says MOBI but when i try to open them on kindle it says something about did i buy them from amazon
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
can you post a screen shot of what it says?

Saying you didn't buy them from Amazon sounds weird.

If it said something like "this book isn't registered to this account" or "unreadable format" that would make a little more sense.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It should be said that Kindle's DRM is tied in to the unit. If you download using kindle for PC, or another kindle, etc, and then trying to copy to a different kindle, it won't let you use the file. Best to just download from the archive directly using the kindle, if it is DRM'ed.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If they have DRM on them (and it sounds like they do), they will not open on the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think I know the error he's talking about but I can't remember exactly what it says.

You are likely trying to put DRM'd books onto a device that isn't authorized to display them. You need to remove the DRM from the books to read them. Google this phrase:

"Apprentice Alf blog"

and read the entry about DRM and the Perplexed.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also thought they were drm'd but he said he managed to get the books on Calibre and had the problem when trying to open them on his Kindle. I thought you couldn't put drm'd books on Calibre.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I also thought they were drm'd but he said he managed to get the books on Calibre and had the problem when trying to open them on his Kindle. I thought you couldn't put drm'd books on Calibre.
You can add them to calibre, but if the DRM is still present I don't think it will let you open them to view on the PC. Probably still lets you move it to another device though, but again that device wouldn't let you open it unless it happened to be the device it was first downloaded onto from amazon (and thus encrypted for).
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Calibre will happily add the books to its database, and let you manage them, without removing the DRM. But you can quickly tell if a book has DRM by trying to read it in Calibre with the built in reader. It will fail with a DRM message.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
JoHunt
I am what I am

Thanks! I didn't know this.