Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can a US Touch Reader be used in Canada?

I have a relative back in Canada who has a birthday coming up. If I buy a Kobo Touch at Borders to give her will she be able to buy books through Chapters-Indigo in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
yes. it sync's to whichever desktop version you download.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
rcrh
Enthusiast

1) so it doesn't access the store without a PC (like the Kindle & the Nook)?
2) but if I buy it in the states how would I get the Canadian desktop software?

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
1) so it doesn't access the store without a PC (like the Kindle & the Nook)?
You can purchase books from the Kobo store over a Wi-Fi network like the Nook does but not over a 3G network like the Kindle does.

Quote:
2) but if I buy it in the states how would I get the Canadian desktop software?
The desktop software is available from the Kobo website.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Once you have updated via PC, it is fully functional via wi-fi, and you don't need the desktop software at all.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
rcrh
Enthusiast

Thanks all. That helps. I guess I could also wait until I'm in Canada and buy it there. But, it's more expense which is weird given the value of the Canadian dollar. hmmm.