Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
WHY I Like My Kobo

It just hit me while driving home tonight WHY I am enjoying my Kobo -

- it is NOT WiFI capable
- it is NOT connected to the 3G network
- it does NOT have a keyboard

I am online all darned day. If I used my wife's Kindle2 or bought a Nook, I'd be messing around with the connectivity features.

But if I merely want to RELAX and READ A BOOK ... Well, you get the idea. I have connectivity all around me all day long (Verizon MiFi 2200 in my pocket when I leave the house, 3rd gen 32GB iPod touch, laptops and phones, et al).

But the "non-connectivity" of the Kobo is an attractive "feature" to me.

What do you think?

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ebook reading devices have been around just long enough now, Clint, for some of us (like thee and me) to be considered 'old fashioned', I guess.

Precisely for the advantages of the missing bells and whistles you mention, I love my antique Sony 505. There's nothing so conducive to a comfortable read, I think, as being in worlds and centuries far away from the distraction of keyboards and constant communication.

Maybe we should start a club. Here's karma to ya, ol' feller. Cheers. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 07-13-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: trypo
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am also a big fan of the simple ereader. I do not want to be distracted by feature rich devices that resemble my notebook, netbook, smartphone, PDA or desktop PC.

Dispaying an ebook for quiet reading is the only task my ereader needs to perform.

My first useage of the Kobo and it performs perfectly well at this task as does its Sony PRS-300 companion.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
That is precisely why I bought mine as stated in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88549
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yep. This is the reason I bought a Kobo over all the other choices. If they get all the little gremlins sorted I'll likely buy another.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
deepfry
deepfry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I picked up the Kobo because here in Canada it's the best price/performance option IMO. The weight is perfect and the size of the actual device is nice as well. I am really enjoying the Kobo. Also the fact that I can download books from my local library was important, thankfully they added that to the Kobo otherwise I would have gone with the Sony 5" but that screen seemed just too small. The Kobo's extra inch makes a huge difference.
deepfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I like my Sony Reader for pretty much these same reasons. I have so many books on it, there's absolutely no need to download them wirelessly. And all the devices look much better without a keyboard, I think.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Ditto. For me the experience of reading on the kobo is more akin to that of reading an "analogue book".
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Ditto, Ditto. I love my Kobo and was wondering if I can remove the Borders software from my computer and use Kobo through Calibre or drag and drop alone? I really do not like the idea of being "attached" to a store.
I had purchased the Sony 600 touch screen the same day as the Kobo and returned it that same day as the touch screen had so much glare I could not read enjoyably. Borders was unpleasant about it and would only give me a store credit, so I decided to try the Kobo and am so GLAD I did. It's wonderful, easy to use, load, find my place, and especially see. I'm quite happy with the upgrade and the sleep/power off feature. It seems a good thing to me.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
I won't buy kobo (for it's lacking of functions) for myself; but I bought it for my son.
I used to let my son read books with a laptop computer or itouch, but it turns out he was distracted by other resources on the web or games! so I had to check him from time to time.
Now with kobo holding in his hand, I know what he is doing!

kobo like ereaders could be "must have" and "only" ereaders to students!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Before I bought my iPad, I was considering buying a Kobo too. It's a decent device that does what is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. And it's relatively cheap. The iPad is much nicer and gives you so many more options and features, but you're right Clintbradford, sometimes all these features, whistles and bells, can drive a reader who only wants to relax and have a good read into an ADD kinda state of mind.

Still love my iPad though...
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I had a chuckle when I saw your DRM FREE avatar in conjunction with your love of the iPad. You sir, win the Mixed Message of the Year award

I too really enjoy the trimmed features of the Kobo - two thumbs up in my book (nyuk nyuk nyuk)
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
GOINGVEG wrote ...

"I didn't want to surf the web. I didn't want to read a newspaper or magazine. I didn't want to listen to music or audio books. I didn't want to look at pictures. I didn't want to watch videos. I didn't want to charge the battery every few hours ...

"I wanted to read books."

Wow ... what is that phrase, "Brilliant minds think alike" ??? (grin)

Very well stated!

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Wow ... what is that phrase, "Brilliant minds think alike" ??? (grin)
Fools never differ
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I had a chuckle when I saw your DRM FREE avatar in conjunction with your love of the iPad. You sir, win the Mixed Message of the Year award

I too really enjoy the trimmed features of the Kobo - two thumbs up in my book (nyuk nyuk nyuk)
I am for all kind of freedoms, including what people chose to buy or not. As far as ebooks are concerned, I have no problem importing DRM-free files to the iBooks app, so I'm OK. DRM refers to content, not to devices. I’m rather a PC guy BTW, but that doesn’t mean that I’m an anti-Apple fanatic. Apple did a good (not perfect) job with the iPad. When there will be another tablet device on the market that can compare to the iPad, on Android or any other OS, I’ll probably buy it too. So far there’s not much to choose from.
Thanks for the award though
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, kobo