Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I think B&N should have called it the "Noble". Sounds nice, ties in with the company, and supports the notion that reading is for elevated minds. (Even if you read so-called trashy fun stuff, your mind is still far more elevated than a good chunk of the population that is staring slack-jawed at a TV, flipping channels.)
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #47
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just stare slack-jawed at my Reader flipping pages.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #48
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I quite like the name Nook. Not bad. And at least its not a number. (Cue Prisoner reference jokes....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
All the other names (not the suggestions, I mean the existing devices' names) sound like crap to me, even my own "Iliad".
HEY! I like Iliad; reference to a truly great piece of literature. And one I actually like, as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
In fact, most Americans will probably think of English muffins first...
There are so many ways I can choose to misread that.... Are you suggesting that, should Waterstones choose to launch an liseuse of its own, it should call it Muffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
I think B&N should have called it the "Noble". Sounds nice, ties in with the company, and supports the notion that reading is for elevated minds. (Even if you read so-called trashy fun stuff, your mind is still far more elevated than a good chunk of the population that is staring slack-jawed at a TV, flipping channels.)
I like that.

Though I'd love to have a device called "Flight". For me, that's what books do.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Phew! You know, knowing that you're "okay" with me not liking the name; that you're not personally using your authority to marginalise anyone; that you're "okay" with my reasons for liking the name...well, like I say...phew. I'm so glad. I don't know if I would have been able go on otherwise, Steve.
Hey, you could have just not participated in the discussion. I don't jump into every discussion I disagree with. I could've also just blown you off, which I didn't. So you don't have to get snide and sarcastic about it.

Quote:
Odd how much fun you were having with this, until someone held a contrary opinion.
Yes... since your contrary opinion effectively sucked the "fun" right outta the thread, I figured: What the hey. Address your points with my own. Then see if the thread can get back to some fun. Or not. Whatever, I can always just get back to my writing, and see you guys later...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #50
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey, you could have just not participated in the discussion. I don't jump into every discussion I disagree with. I could've also just blown you off, which I didn't. So you don't have to get snide and sarcastic about it.
EDIT: Steve, I have just emailed you directly, off-forum. I hope this explains, if not justifies, what I feel and how I got there. The past itself might not be EDITable, but I'd like to think the posts are repairable. Détente, perhaps? Here, despite what is currently below, I say again...sorry.

But you did just blow me off, Steve. You effectively proceeded to elaborate on how my liking of the name was "okay" but in corporate terms wrong. It is disingenuous to suggest that I not participate, when my initial comment was topical and you did premise that "serious" was also permitted.

All I said was that I really and personally liked the name, with no expectation that B&N was right, wrong or otherwise to use it - you then elaborated dismissively.

Quote:
Yes... since your contrary opinion effectively sucked the "fun" right outta the thread, I figured: What the hey. Address your points with my own. Then see if the thread can get back to some fun. Or not. Whatever, I can always just get back to my writing, and see you guys later...
Ugh. That is not reasonable nor fair reaction, Steve. To try assign and condemn me as "fun-sucking" when all I did initially was state why I liked the name, such that I wasn't part of the "we" you started with. It was a simple statement of taste. And now to try assign me as the cause of you skipping this thread, to continue the finger-pointing...

All I said was that I'm not part of your "we" - that I liked the name because of personal connotations. It was neutral. It was a simple statement of subjective opinion. It matched your initial post's permittal of the "serious" (as serious as a mild statement of subjective opinion can be anyway). "Fair enough" or similar was a possible simple response to that. Instead you elaborated on your dismissal - is it any wonder I should feel contempt from you with such a response and respond accordingly?

You do what you want, Steve, but all I wanted to say was that I liked the name and also felt enough interest in your thread to participate. Just because I might disagree with a small item of grammar and have an opinion different to prevailing conditions, it doesn't make me the Bad Guy.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-25-2009 at 08:22 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #51
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Please don't make me start on poll on whether Marc is a 'funsucker'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #52
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Now there's an e-book name!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #53
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:

Now there's an e-book name!
...if it takes, can we pretend it was named after me? (<--- genuine smile, not cynical or wry or anything)

Cheers,
Marc (my middle name is "liseuse") Funsucker
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Introducing Barnes and Nobles new, state of the art, ebook reader...........THE FUNSUCKER!!!

GC's cannot be redeemed for ebooks!

10% restocking fee.......and you have only 14 days to decide!

You can loan a book once......and once only........and while its out YOU cannot read it!!! (depends of course on if the publishers will allow this...)

Tax charged on everything!!

Not available outside the US........

Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #55
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Disclaimer

The previous message was intended as a humorous post only......no malicious thought intended.

Really.......I hope the Nook makes everyone who buys one as happy as my K1 has made me.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #56
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
<snip>Marc (my middle name is "liseuse")Funsucker
............>..

Quote:
Introducing Barnes and Nobles new, state of the art, ebook reader...........THE FUNSUCKER!!!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

My job is done.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #58
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You're not alone. I like the name and think it's quite fitting. I suspect it will grow on people.
I love the name and think it's wonderful! A nook is a quiet and private place. My local book store has a reading nook in a back corner, equipped with a fluffy rug and cushions. I honestly don't get all the strange comments about it - not here so much - but all over the web. When I initially heard the name 'Nook'; the first image that flashed into my mind, was long forgotten holidays as a child, with hours and hours of wonderful undisturbed reading in my secret nook, snuggly ensconced in a sunny bay window in my father's study.
For a return of that memory alone, I rate the name 5 stars!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
There are so many ways I can choose to misread that.... Are you suggesting that, should Waterstones choose to launch an liseuse of its own, it should call it Muffin?
Sorry... U.S. thing. This is a reference to the popular and long-running Thomas' English Muffins commercials that most Americans have grown up watching, and that emphasize how well the muffin's "nooks and crannies" hold the melted butter. I think when most people in the U.S. hear the word "nook," the word "cranny" immediately springs to mind, and then a certain muffin...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-26-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #60
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Sorry... U.S. thing. This is a reference to the popular and long-running Thomas' English Muffins commercials that most Americans have grown up watching, and that emphasize how well the muffin's "nooks and crannies" hold the melted butter. I think when most people in the U.S. hear the word "nook," the word "cranny" immediately springs to mind, and then a certain muffin...
Call it a Cranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: cran·ny
Pronunciation: \ˈkra-nē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural crannies
Etymology: Middle English crany, from Middle French cren, cran notch
Date: 15th century

1 : a small break or slit : crevice
2 : an obscure nook or corner
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote