Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
barmyc
barmyc began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Best device to read LIT books

Hi

I have a vast library of LIT books I read on a PDA when commuting. I no longer commute (or do much travelling) but find it a pain to have to use my laptop to read my books. I have a Sony 505 and have converted some of my favorite books to read on that, but I don't have the time to convert all my books. Is there something I can use to read Lit books? I had to return my PDA when I left my job.

Any suggestions welcome
barmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The BeBook (and its clones) will read DRM-free LIT files moderately well. For DRM-protected LIT, your only solution is a Windows Mobile device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyc View Post
I have a Sony 505 and have converted some of my favorite books to read on that, but I don't have the time to convert all my books.
What are you using to convert? If what you're currently doing is somewhat labor-intensive, I'd suggest trying calibre. But I'm really not sure I follow on the "time to convert all my books" part -- don't you really just need to convert the book your going to read before you ready?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
stanza iphone

Stanza and iphones and itouchs should read it.

Beyond that most mainstream readers don't use .lit format.

However, .lit format converts very well in general to other formats, making it workable on most ereaders. I use a EB1150 and frequently get .lit files and convert them to .imp without too much trouble.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
What are you using to convert? If what you're currently doing is somewhat labor-intensive, I'd suggest trying calibre. But I'm really not sure I follow on the "time to convert all my books" part -- don't you really just need to convert the book your going to read before you ready?
I was about to suggest he same. I buy most of my books in DRM'd .lit format, and routinely strip the DRM and then use Calibre to convert. You can set Calibre to convert more books at one time, you don't have to do it one by one.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Stanza and iphones and itouchs should read it.
Correction, Stanza for iPhone/iPod Touch does not have native lit support. Stanza for Desktop converts the files to epub for consumption on the iPhone/iPod Touch.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyc View Post
Any suggestions welcome
If you know how to convert 1 book with your computer, it should take just as long (your time) to convert 1000 books. That is what computers are for... to do repetitive tasks for thousands of iterations.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
barmyc
barmyc began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Thanks for your advice - I don't get much computer time so like to convert as many books as I can as it could be a couple of months before I'm able to load more. I'll look into Calibre, I think.
barmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Yes, Calibre is good. I have tried it.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote