Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shac...PE/ref=ed_oe_k

Woo Hoo - I've been holding off ordering this book - it has prints of the original photos taken by Hurley on the Endurance expedition & stills from his movies - now it's been marked as "Optimized for DX" - I will be able to compare the resolution between my K2 & my DX next week.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that that is a graphic and there is no way to search for eBooks optimized for the DX. So basically, that tag is useless.
This has been noted on the Amazon Discussion boards as well - if Amazon does pay any attention to them, they might add a searchable tag. Dare to dream!
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
This title has complex layouts and has been optimized for reading on Kindle DX's larger screen, but can still be viewed on other devices.
This is what you get when you click on "What's this?" next to the graphic.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Oh sorry, I didn't know you could view Kindle books on the PC or that you purchased the book.
You can't, unless you remove the DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
DX owners-to-be: check your order history

Another discovery. I happened to be looking at my "Manage Your Kindle" page, specifically "Your Orders," and noticed that any Kindle book previously purchased that has been "optimized for Kindle DX" now has the orange tag associated with the book in the order history. Cool.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
poohbear_nc
Now what?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pe_28630...ode=1294013011

Amazon sent an email with this link to a page announcing this feature. But nothing on the page appears searchable specifically for the optimized books. And the phrase "optimized for Kindle DX" still doesn't appear to be a searchable tag yet to locate books.

Anyone have better luck or any clues?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
So far the page is pretty much filled with (what I would consider) garbage. It's like the one spot in the bookstore with all the big, awful books (with the occasional gem).
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
So far the page is pretty much filled with (what I would consider) garbage. It's like the one spot in the bookstore with all the big, awful books (with the occasional gem).
It's like your worst nightmare of coffee table books that no one would ever want to receive for Xmas.
Or maybe the table of re-gifted coffee table books?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
marketing gimmick?
I would say 'stupid marketing gimmick':

Makes me think if it optimized for DX, it is going to look worse on my K2 than it otherwise might. Or at the very least it will chew up storage faster.

Conversely if all I had was a DX, I might not want to purchase titles that weren't 'optimized for DX'.

But I guess it just points out that there are compromises any time 'one size fits all'.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I believe it's a marketing gimmick, I think newspapers and publications with images/special layouts are the ones that will be optimized.

Standard books appear to be resized automagically by the DX.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #26
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
So, as a new DX owner, I'm shocked that this tag isn't a searchable item on Amazon.

Sure would be nice to filter to those ebooks that are optimized for the DX's large screen.

/common sense?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #27
infogal
infogal began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Would "optimized for kindle" apply to the kindle 3 as well?
infogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #28
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Makes me think if it optimized for DX, it is going to look worse on my K2 than it otherwise might.
I think that's a reasonable assumption. One upheld by my previous optimized book purchases.

I have one "optimized" book that isn't usable on my 6" screen, I had a K1 when I bought it, and found it well nigh impossible to read the informational captions on most of the illustrations:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001135G54

I have a few other optimized books containing tables that are actually images. The 6" Kindle offers a less than ideal reading experience for those books as well.

It's a bad idea to slap the "optimized" label onto a book willy-nilly. Without further explanation of the label, many (if not most) readers would think that they'd need a DX or Kindle for PC/Mac app to read the book.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote