Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Safest eBook purchase method?

I've been using Fictionwise Mobipockets, but after several successful DeDrm's, I've run across my first failure. I'm a bit reluctant to risk more. On the other hand, the Sony eReader application is totally useless given its inability to actually connect to the Sony Bookstore, even ignoring its random crashes. I love my PRS-505, but I had counted on being able to reliably buy books, which so far is a bit iffy.

Any thoughts?
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't have any problems connecting to the ebookstore. I know some people got that fixed by calling tech support.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
I've been using Fictionwise Mobipockets, but after several successful DeDrm's, I've run across my first failure. I'm a bit reluctant to risk more.
Do you have the most recent version .05 of the mobidedrm script?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
drmathprog
Connoisseur

I think what I have is version 0.4.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think what I have is version 0.4.
Try to grab .05 and see if that opens this file you are having a problem with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
drmathprog
Connoisseur

Thanks; sure enough, the latest .05 works fine. I guess I'll stick with Fictionwise for now. I wonder if anyone at Sony realizes that their eReader problems are causing lost sales?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is a Sony Reader. eReader has nothing to do with Sony. Using the term eReader will confuse some people such that they will go out and purchase eReader format eBooks only to find that they do not work on a Sony. So please refrain from the term eReader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was a little anxious (very) the first time I logged onto the Sony store via the eBook Library because it took about 10 mins to log in and get me to the registration page. I figured as long as the arrows were spinning, it was still working, so I just left it alone.

Ever since, it has been much faster logging in, and downloads take about a minute. Lots faster than downloading songs from the iTunes store!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
drmathprog
Connoisseur

Quote:
So please refrain from the term eReader.
OK, thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
OK, thanks.
It is a bit confusing... how dare they co-opt eReader as a brand name! But ebook or e-book or just call it the PRS-505 or 700, anything like that will work better in order to differentiate what you are discussing from the brand name. My previous device was privately called "Turd" because it was so ugly (but I loved it so much!). My new 505 hasn't distinguished itself enough to be named yet. It's sort of bland compared to the spunky can-do spirit of my old EBW-1150.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks; sure enough, the latest .05 works fine. I guess I'll stick with Fictionwise for now. I wonder if anyone at Sony realizes that their eReader problems are causing lost sales?
I'm sure they know after all of the calls. I think when they created the software they didn't account for some of the things people could have on their computers, as it works on most but not all, and the people who have gotten it fixed mentioned it was on their computer.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm sure they know after all of the calls. I think when they created the software they didn't account for some of the things people could have on their computers, as it works on most but not all, and the people who have gotten it fixed mentioned it was on their computer.
I've been able to load it in 4 different computers since I bought the PRS505 in December of 2007 with no problem. They are all running different anti-virus softwares (Norton, Mcafee, and NOD32) with no problems. Two work computers from my job and my 2 personal computers. The latest was bought on Black Friday with Vista 32 bit from HP and came with Norton and I changed it to NOD32 (library worked before and after the change). I can buy books both at home and work. The best part is my blackberry USB cable works; I use it to charge and download books while at work.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I've been able to load it in 4 different computers since I bought the PRS505 in December of 2007 with no problem. They are all running different anti-virus softwares (Norton, Mcafee, and NOD32) with no problems. Two work computers from my job and my 2 personal computers. The latest was bought on Black Friday with Vista 32 bit from HP and came with Norton and I changed it to NOD32 (library worked before and after the change). I can buy books both at home and work. The best part is my blackberry USB cable works; I use it to charge and download books while at work.
It wasn't the virus software, it was some kind of scripting or something. But I haven't had the problem either, and neither has my mom.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you have the most recent version .05 of the mobidedrm script?

BOb
Is the download location for mobidedrm still officially a secret? I'm about ready to give it my first shot on one or two books, but mostly what I've found from searching the forum here is a lot of confusing threads.

I did also just download Convertlit to have on hand, but I haven't tried that yet, either.

Is there a general sense here, if one wants to purchase a book for the Sony Reader and you have a choice of secure Mobi or secure Lit, which is the better starting point for conversion to epub or lrf?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Is the download location for mobidedrm still officially a secret?
I don't think anyone has directly linked to a copy of the script from here, but its location isn't so much a secret as a moving target. See Okay, seriously confused about MobiDeDrm #132.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Is there a general sense here, if one wants to purchase a book for the Sony Reader and you have a choice of secure Mobi or secure Lit, which is the better starting point for conversion to epub or lrf?
You need a Windows PC to buy LIT ebooks, but this format is generally considered the best starting point for format shifting because it is closer to the old OEB standard than MOBI. Also MOBI has changed over time, and old MOBIs are pretty basic. With recent MOBI ebooks there is little practical difference to LIT at the display level though, so it is ok to standardize on MOBI or use it when there is no LIT available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote