Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #76
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Try on Ebkw Librarian to click on Details/Edit and see if it works. If the imp file is drmed it may not work. I have only converted books or Fictionwise multiformat imp and for those it works very nicely.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift
Could you actually change catagories for books you purchased from them? That's my problem. It is easy to change your own books but purchased books seems impossible.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #77
sierra95758
sierra95758 began at the beginning.

Device: 1150
Sorry, Tom, but I can't answer that. So far I've just been using public domain books from Gutenberg, etc. (There are lots of sources, and thousands of books.)

I haven't purchased one book from Bookwise yet.
sierra95758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #78
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Problem with charger

Hey guys I am having a problem with my charger/adapter for the reader. I am having to bend the cord into unsual positions to get it to charge the batter pack. I expect there is a bad spot in the cord. Can I replace it with a standard adapter ie if its 12vdc output with 1000 milllamps. Is the plug that plugs into the reader custom? ie would have to break out the soldering iron and try tp splice the plug from the current charger onto the new adapter and cord? I dont see anywhere to buy just the adapter on the ebookwise site...

Thanks in advance.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #79
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I've had my Ebookwise 1150 for about two weeks now. I love it! I actually bought it based on all the reviews and user comments posted here at MobileRead. I'm on a Mac and I have successfully converted several unsecured ereader Palm books (.pdb), .txt files and .rtf files to it's required .imp format. I then copy them over the the SmartDisk card, put the card in it's slot and settle down for some good reads.

I wanted a Sony Reader, but the price and the "first generation bugs" of the device scared me off, plus my fears that it won't work well with my Mac. I have been a longtime reader of ebooks, but this Ebookwise device is really the best so far in terms of ease of use and price. A co-worker of mine liked mine so much that she went out and bought one. Now she may buy one for her friend and another one for her mom!

This is my fav ebook reading device by far. Since I am pretty frugal, I have stuck to Gutenburg texts so far, but I have found plenty of other free book sites (Manybooks.net, Baen books, etc). This helped me discover the old pulp adventures of the 30's and 40's like Doc Savage and The Shadow. Makes for some fun reading. So much so, that I was inspired to create and write my own pulp adventure series.

Just my two cents, but I feel that the Sony Reader is a good idea, but WAY too expensive. The lack backlight also ruins it for me. I'll stick with my Ebookwise for now and I take it everywhere I go. Thanks to everyone who posts here, it really helped me when it comes to ebook advice!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #80
bishoplogan
bishoplogan began at the beginning.

getting one

based on all the reviews here i'm also getting one . question can it hold a bigger memory card like 256 or 512 mb
bishoplogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #81
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoplogan
based on all the reviews here i'm also getting one . question can it hold a bigger memory card like 256 or 512 mb
The basic answer is no. The SmartMedia cards just don't come in larger sizes, though there were plans for 256MB cards at one point. I seem to recall some people here on the boards talked about using an adapter and getting some other (and larger) types of media to work in the eBW, but even then, the unit only recognized the first 128MB.

I admit I had planned to upgrade to a 128MB as soon as I got mine, but I am still using the 64 that came with it, and have had no real need to switch yet.

Good luck with your purchase!

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #82
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
AFAIK, the upper limit is 128Mb. You can fit quite a lot of books in the basic 64Mb card, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #83
bishoplogan

maybe im lazy

does this do graphics, i read all the reveiws last week but i cant seem to recall grapics. i have some rpg books and i woudnt mind having the graphics show also
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #84
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
does this do graphics, i read all the reveiws last week but i cant seem to recall grapics. i have some rpg books and i woudnt mind having the graphics show also
Ebk1150 imports pictures, I know for sure about jpg's since I read non ocr'ed scans this way; the things to be kept in mind are the pixel size (318x448 or 320x460 if you get rid of margins) and the memory limit (128Mb).
Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #85
bishoplogan

do i need a card reader for my comp or can this ebook plug directly into the comp . my 1500 should be arriving today or tomorrow
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #86
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
You will get a USB cable with the reader, but a card reader is cheap and easy.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #87
bishoplogan

i got it thursday, played with it last night.a lot of my files are pdf i got adobe 8 pro but files transfered to html or jpeg still dont work.can any of u experts help me? i also got ebook publisher& librarian ,abc lit convertor
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #88
bishoplogan

also im kinda new to converting files can some one give me a walk thru on converting jpeg and wikipedia pages to the ebookwise, PLEASE.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #89
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
i got it thursday, played with it last night.a lot of my files are pdf i got adobe 8 pro but files transfered to html or jpeg still dont work.can any of u experts help me? i also got ebook publisher& librarian ,abc lit convertor
For pdf's it depends what kind they are; if they are text, I would just extract it to rtf, if they are image it's trickier, it can work from jpg's but the size needs to be right (318x448 or 448x318).
Html's sometimes do not convert for some reasons (see below where you can ask why), transformed to rtf's they work though you lose hyperlinking if any.
Also, sometimes if a file dies in conversion either on librarian or on eti pub, the following files die too, so you gotta restart the application first, and try again. Once or twice eti pub died altogether, so I had to remove by hand the offending dll and reinstall it, but the librarian always worked after restart on good files.
For more specific advice and tricks it's a good idea to ask in the Fictionwise forum on Yahoo since there are lots of people there that know cool tricks about Ebk1150 (how to change fonts, do hyperlinks, run headers...). I never needed anything complicated since all my files worked after some massaging if neccesary, but that is a really good place to ask experts.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fictionwise/
Old 03-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #90
p3zip
p3zip began at the beginning.

Hello ladies & gents,

I was a proud owner of an RCA REB1100, logged many hundreds of hours on it until the day I lost it. It just so happened that the week prior, RCA discontinued the product.

So I just stumbled upon this eBookWise device today, and my heart lept! It was my REB1100, rebadged! But the more I read, the more I think that it might be more complicated than that.

So, I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1.) Would the eBook Librarian software that came with my RCA be able to do conversion and load books onto the device?

2.) Does the eBookWise device have dictionary lookup capabilities like the RCA did? If you had a specific dictionary ebook loaded onto the device, you could tap any word and get an immediate definition.

I appreciate any information on the likenesses or differences between the REB1100 and the eBookWise 1150 that anyone can supply.

Thanks in advance,
-p
p3zip is offline   Reply With Quote