Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagopus View Post
I'm pretty sure he have plans ready for someone to do the same as Brandon Sanderson did with Wheel of Time. My guess is that Ty Franck, who was Martin's assistant for several years and is now one half of the writer duo James S. A. Corey, is designated to pick up and finish.
He's free to change his mind, of course, but he's already made it pretty clear in the past that he's not naming a successor to take over for him. He was pretty adamant about it, in fact.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd certainly bet on David Benioff being capable of continue the series, as he must have seen the original notes and interviewed GRRM to get the TV show written. If necessary, Daniel Abraham would be a great alternate as well.

However I do hope he finishes the series himself. As I always say with affection, as a fan of the books, "write fat man! Write!"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
He's free to change his mind, of course, but he's already made it pretty clear in the past that he's not naming a successor to take over for him. He was pretty adamant about it, in fact.
Was that because he doesn't want someone else to work on the series or was he just annoyed by all the suggestions that he may die before the series is finished.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Was that because he doesn't want someone else to work on the series or was he just annoyed by all the suggestions that he may die before the series is finished.
It was a bit of both, actually.
I'm trying to track down the actual conversation, but have had no luck as yet.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It was a bit of both, actually.
I'm trying to track down the actual conversation, but have had no luck as yet.
It seems the internet is chock full of people who claim that George has said he would prefer the book series to remain unfinished in the event of his untimely demise, but very few accounts of him actually stating it. I may be guilty of spreading unfounded rumor, but this is just such "common knowledge" among vested fans that no one seems to notice that he may not have actually said it.

He has made it perfectly clear in interviews that he (and his wife) would be against licensing other authors to write books set in his world of Westeros (but also realizes that it's probably an inevitability if collateral descendants become involved), but that's something else.
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Or possibly even suggestions that he should hurry up and die in order that someone else can finish it off for him, in a much more timely manner.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #22
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I gave up at "A dance with dragons" . Jut too much going over the same old thing and parallel timelines etc.
I want the story to move on please.

Still, if the series is ever finished, I might read the remaining books.

I've been sort of watching the TV series from time to time and it's OK. Not as good as it was in earlier seasons.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-05-2016 at 05:38 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #23
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I gave up as well. If it ever finishes maybe I'll pick it up, but there are too many good fantasy writers out there who actually finish books for me to really care.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagopus View Post
Really? My impression is the exact opposite: He is enough of a fan himself to understand the fans' desire to read the conclusion to the series, and he is enough of a storyteller to want his story arc to be finished. I'm pretty sure he have plans ready for someone to do the same as Brandon Sanderson did with Wheel of Time. My guess is that Ty Franck, who was Martin's assistant for several years and is now one half of the writer duo James S. A. Corey, is designated to pick up and finish.

Will Martin be able to finish on his own? I don't know. He might get a heart attack this year, or he might write beyond 80. And he might get himself out of the corner he's in and finish the last book relatively quickly, or he might continue the trend of spending more and more time on each new book.
When you tell your fans to pretty much **** off and to stop expecting books in a timely manner, then yeah, I don't carry much of a torch for that author...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #25
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
there are too many good fantasy writers out there who actually finish books for me to really care.
And yeah, this as well.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #26
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
As a fan, I hope he finishes it. I worry that he's got too many little plot threads here and there for him to actually be able to do so. I know he's submitted 'the end' to the producers of the show. That doesn't mean that they're going to get from point A to point Z via the same route. I believe the really important plot points of who lives and dies will be the same between the book and the show. I think there will be details here and there which might vary, and those details might be what's delaying the series.

I respect 'it'll be ready when it's ready' and being tired of fans nagging for the next book. I can even respect if he's just tired of writing this particular series in the world. I'll still be (quietly) disappointed if the series is never finished.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #27
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
As a fan, I hope he finishes it. I worry that he's got too many little plot threads here and there for him to actually be able to do so. I know he's submitted 'the end' to the producers of the show. That doesn't mean that they're going to get from point A to point Z via the same route. I believe the really important plot points of who lives and dies will be the same between the book and the show. I think there will be details here and there which might vary, and those details might be what's delaying the series.

I respect 'it'll be ready when it's ready' and being tired of fans nagging for the next book. I can even respect if he's just tired of writing this particular series in the world. I'll still be (quietly) disappointed if the series is never finished.
The end and important plot points being the same is why I will watch the show only now. I read the first five books, but that's it for me. If the show wasn't on I would of course buy the books, but at this point he's too late for me. The show started almost five years ago, so you would think Martin wouldn't have agreed to the show if he didn't think he could finish the final two books on time.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #28
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I was a huge fan... and then I had to wait a few years between book 3 and 4. I re-read the first 3 books on that occasion, read the 4th... And then I believe it was 7 years before book 5 came out! By that time, I had picked up other authors to read and my TBR list is too big to re-read his books again, when there are still two more to come (who knows, I might die before he finishes them ^^)

I'm still buying the books, but won't read them until the series is finished. And I won't watch the show until I've read the books.
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've got all of the books, but haven't read "Dance" yet as I've decided to just wait until if/when everything is done to invest more time in it.
If this series doesn't get finished, by him or someone else, I will never read it.

After once starting a series (in Dutch) of which the translation was stopped unexpectedly, so the series would be incomplete forever, I've sworn to never start a series/trilogy until after all books have been released.

Therefore I have also not started that 10 book 1000 pages a book series that Brian Sanderson started... I can't remember the name on top of my head.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If this series doesn't get finished, by him or someone else, I will never read it.

After once starting a series (in Dutch) of which the translation was stopped unexpectedly, so the series would be incomplete forever, I've sworn to never start a series/trilogy until after all books have been released.

Therefore I have also not started that 10 book 1000 pages a book series that Brian Sanderson started... I can't remember the name on top of my head.
The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. I'm waiting for book 5 then I'll read them in a row.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote