Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Alec Ford
Alec Ford began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with links in output converting pdf to epub

I have a problem with links generating epub from pdf. I’m a complete newbie to all this not even owning any ebooks or a reader but I was writing some stuff and thought it would be nice to make the result available in some ebook format as well as pdf.

I downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago. I generate my pdf as output from Word Perfect, not common I know but I’ve used it for years and like it. Calibre seems to process the pdf I generate just fine picking up the chapters and links into an outline with several levels just fine. The problem is that the links in the contents and outline don’t work, they just go to the top of the text in the document. I read in the documentation that pdf doesn’t support chapters and links but took that to mean interpreting the input.

So what is the problem? Does the documentation mean the output? Or am I missing something simple? Or dare I suggest a bug? I tried with word and docx and html and pdf output from it and haven’t got the input interpreting as well as my pdf from word perfect. I could try open office also but what I’ve done so far seems almost there.

Any help appreciated
Alec Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would suggest avoiding PDF as your intermediate format, because it is not designed to be able to convert well to other formats. As a general rule, you should only try to convert from PDF if you can't get the document in any other format.

Of the file formats that you mentioned you tried, HTML is probably your best intermediate format. If you could tell us what is not working when you try to import and convert from HTML, we might be able to help you with that easier than with your PDF problems.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Alec Ford
Alec Ford began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
If you could tell us what is not working when you try to import and convert from HTML, we might be able to help you with that easier than with your PDF problems.
Epub and pdf

Well I’m not sure I can describe the problem better. I make a simple pdf. The new pages are detected as chapters correctly and the various headers levels are detected for an outline so I end up with an epub file that has the chapters in the contents and an outline at the end with all the sections listed but clicking on the links doesn’t go to their correct destination. All links in the outline take me to the top of the document.

I did read that pdf isn’t great for input but it almost seemed to work perfectly for me. I would like to know if the problem can be resolved simply for the future but I will shift this project to openoffice. I don’t think parts of the core of Wordperfect (that I am using) have been updated for many years and it handles images miserably by gobbling up memory and bloating file size and hitting performance and I want to include some images in the final version this project. Open office handles images really well on the other hand.
Alec Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Ford View Post
I have a problem with links generating epub from pdf.
Links are not supported. Do not use PDF as a intermediate step. Save as html then convert to ePub and clean anything up via Sigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Ford View Post
I would like to know if the problem can be resolved simply for the future but I will shift this project to openoffice.
The problem can not be resolved. Switching to OpenOffice is a good choice.

Just to be clear, do not go from WordPerfect or OpenOffice to PDF to ePub.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote