Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
whaledawg
whaledawg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
How Much?

How much would you pay for a tool that converts other file types to lrf?

There are free tools, but I've had problems with them. I mean, they're great for what they cost but I might be willing to shell out a few dollars for a tool that worked correctly every time on the files I needed.

How much would you pay?
whaledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nothing. The tools released by Kovid Goyal work great. Now, if he asked for voluntary payment, I would do it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaledawg View Post

There are free tools, but I've had problems with them. I mean, they're great for what they cost but I might be willing to shell out a few dollars for a tool that worked correctly every time on the files I needed.

How much would you pay?
Which tools have you had problems with and what problems?

I've used the libprs500 suite and while I don't use it for moving books to the Reader, the conversion tools work quite nicely. I've also use Book Designer and it works quite well also. The other tool I recently started playing with is pdflrf for converting PDF to readable images.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaledawg View Post

How much would you pay?
Define "convert."

I can take pretty much any file that can be converted into RTF and load it on the Reader.

I've switched to Book Designer because it does a marvelous job at guessing paragraphs, guessing at section header like Chapter titles guessing at italicized and other special text and allows me to quickly re-embed images into a file.

If BD perfect? Heck no. But compared to the alternatives it saves me a heck of a lot of time getting a book moved from it's original format into LRF.

If there was something that saved me MORE time then perhaps.

But a tool that converts other formats to LRF? Already have one.

So your question should be about "a tool that converts other file types to lrf Faster and Better than Book Designer or any other available tool."

Short of that... the answer is ... Nothing.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
While I haven't felt a need to use the libprs500 suite yet, I've had not a single problem with BookDesigner; I throw in a LIT make a few minor adjustments and I'm done in like 2 minutes. As for PDF's, I've used Rasterfarian since December and I'm more than satisfied for what it can do for the Reader (not that the Reader is the best thing to view PDF's on, a tad small).

So... no, I don't feel the burning urge to purchase a tool when there are tools freely available as is.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert