Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
chris_tribble
Enthusiast
chris_tribble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS-650 - risk of damage from micro USB connector

Just thought I'd bring this to the attention of those using new Sony readers with Micro USB connectors. These have small, quite sharp hooks on them. As the Sony PRS-650 USB socket require you to insert the connector with the USB symbol facing down (not logical) I had a problem getting mine in the first time and snagged the plastic that surrounds the socket. Result, the plastic strip got pulled away from the surround of Reader and snapped. I've been able to super-glue it back so that it barely notices - but I was a bit p****d off to have cosmetically damaged the reader on Day One.

Seriously - I'm not Mr Clumsy + I've been been using USB connectors for years with never any damage - it's the little hooks on the new Micro version that you really have to look out for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001__0015581.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	60426   Click image for larger version

Name:	001__0015584.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	60427  
chris_tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Ouch. Good to hear it was only cosmetic damage and that you were able to repair it
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
The little hooks on micro-usb leads are standard to all devices, not just Sony's.

I also find their orientation rather counter-intuitive. To be blunt, I'm always klutzing the lead in the wrong way round. I shall endeavour to be more gentle in my probing in future, thanks to your post!
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Regarding the orientation of the plug, I believe the point is to have the reader face down while charging so you don't get dust on the screen.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Jason Green
Jason Green began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I agree the micro usb ports on the PRS readers are annoying. Why they couldn't use the normal micro usb lead is beyond me (although I suspect it is so we buy their products).

They do have to be inserted with more care than usual.
Jason Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
"normal micro usb lead..." All my micro USB connectors are the same whether from Sony, blackberry PSU or multi-cable connector... it's a standard (see Richey79's comment above) although, like all micro connectors, it does feel very fragile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
I agree the micro usb ports on the PRS readers are annoying. Why they couldn't use the normal micro usb lead is beyond me (although I suspect it is so we buy their products).

They do have to be inserted with more care than usual.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Jason Green
Jason Green began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
"normal micro usb lead..." All my micro USB connectors are the same whether from Sony, blackberry PSU or multi-cable connector... it's a standard (see Richey79's comment above) although, like all micro connectors, it does feel very fragile...
I've seen 3 different mini USB connectors.

The Sony one is more curved, the normal PC one is squarer, and the LG one is more pointed at the edges.

This is a square one in comparison to the sony one.

http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images...20Canon%29.jpg

I might be confusing micro ports with mini ports.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/imag...o_usb_male.jpg

I didn't realise they weren't the same.

Last edited by Jason Green; 10-31-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Jason Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

The reason for Micro USB seems to make a lot of sense (standardising on charging / data transfer for all mobile devices) - just one charger / cable for phones, readers, cameras etc will be great. In the meantime, I suppose we have to unlearn manual gestures which worked with the older technologies. Who'd have thought I'd have to learn to unplug a cable ...
Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes, you are... the first one you show is of a mini (with an A) and the second on is squarer than any of mine plus it has an additional 2 connections so although described as micro in the jpg title, it's nothing like any of my micro USBs (which all look similar to each other as well as being interconnectible) and probably wouldn't fit any of my micro sockets... ah well, the joy of "standards"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
I've seen 3 different mini USB connectors.

The Sony one is more curved, the normal PC one is squarer, and the LG one is more pointed at the edges.

This is a square one in comparison to the sony one.

http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images...20Canon%29.jpg

I might be confusing micro ports with mini ports.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/imag...o_usb_male.jpg

I didn't realise they weren't the same.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
k_gm
k_gm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
like all micro connectors, it does feel very fragile...
yes, the seems fragile, but wikipedia says:

"Durability:
The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed to allow up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1500 for the standard USB and 5000 for the Mini-USB receptacle.
This is accomplished by adding a locking device and by moving the leaf-spring connector from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. "

Hope they are right....
k_gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My husband's phone uses Micro USB. So I can use his phone charger to charge my 650? I haven't bought a charger for it, I just have the USB cable that came with it.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
My husband's phone uses Micro USB. So I can use his phone charger to charge my 650? I haven't bought a charger for it, I just have the USB cable that came with it.
There's a discussion elsewhere on the forum re chargers for the 650. It looks like Blackberry Rim chargers work fine - some others too. Worth checking.

Best
Old 11-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_tribble View Post
There's a discussion elsewhere on the forum re chargers for the 650. It looks like Blackberry Rim chargers work fine - some others too. Worth checking.

Best
I can confirm that a Blackberry micro-USB charger seems to work just fine.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use my Droidx and my nook charger to charge my 650--both work perfectly. Have also used my Droidx auto charger to charge the reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote