Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple Sells Three Million iPads in 80 Days

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/06/22ipad.html

Quote:
Apple® today announced that it sold its three millionth iPad™ yesterday, just 80 days after its introduction in the US. iPad is a revolutionary and magical product that allows users to connect with their apps, content and the Internet in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before.

“People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’re working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month.”
They are also not that easy to find in the Apple retail stores right now, at least around here.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Glad to see it. Showing tablets aren't a tiny niche. Bring on the tablet onslaught!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You don't say where you are, but there seemed plenty in our local store (on display at least, didn't see any being sold).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You don't say where you are, but there seemed plenty in our local store (on display at least, didn't see any being sold).
There will always be the display models, even when there are none available to be sold.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm in the SF Bay Area. They have plenty of display units, none for sale.
The online Apple store is showing 7-10 days now for delivery. (As opposed to other products, such as the iPod Nano, new Mini, etc.. which show 24 hours)

The old iPhone 3GS ships in 2 days.
The new iPhone 4 says July 14th.

edit: According to BestBuy's website, out of 6 stores near my house,none have the iPad in stock.
out of 6 stores near my office, one shows it in stock.

Apple used to have a cool retail store tracking site that showed availability of the iPhone..they need to bring that back!

Seems like they were having issues keeping it in stock last month..maybe they haven't fully recovered yet: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/21/...pad-shortages/

Last edited by kjk; 06-22-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Glad to see it. Showing tablets aren't a tiny niche. Bring on the tablet onslaught!
Very true. This will also encourage more manufactures to enter the tablet market, and hopefully make great innovations. Everyone wins, especially consumers.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I think it's more a win to the interface than to the tablet format per se. Things are done on the iPad so fluently.

A clam shell design with two screens would be nice too, I always feel the iPad vulnerable when I take it out.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I think it's more a win to the interface than to the tablet format per se. Things are done on the iPad so fluently.

A clam shell design with two screens would be nice too, I always feel the iPad vulnerable when I take it out.
It is a really nice interface. And iOS4 added some nice touches-can't wait to see them on the iPad. And by "can't wait" I mean it is irritating the iPad doesn't have those nice touches
Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely.
Do you know if printing is better supported? I'm not liking the present option very much... And so I'm not liking not being able to put my own pictures from the iPad to an SD card. My own blipping pictures!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here in the Atlanta, GA there's around a 10 day wait to get one at the Apple stores. Tons of display models, but those aren't for sale as others note. Those are out to get people hooked and put their name on the waiting list!

My g/f tried to buy one from a friend in Taiwan before a trip home and wasn't able to get one.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Very true. This will also encourage more manufactures to enter the tablet market, and hopefully make great innovations. Everyone wins, especially consumers.
Yep, I'm hoping it gets me my 12" (or 8.5x11) screen tablet with robust stylus mark up options in the next year or so. And I'm sure everyone else here does as well so I'll quit talking about wanting one!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Definitely.
Do you know if printing is better supported? I'm not liking the present option very much... And so I'm not liking not being able to put my own pictures from the iPad to an SD card. My own blipping pictures!!!
Nope. It wasn't even in the betas, from what I've heard...wondering what they are going to do about it. Maybe waiting for HP's wireless no-driver printers? Google's new Print from anywhere thing? Neither sounds very Apple.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, I'm hoping it gets me my 12" (or 8.5x11) screen tablet with robust stylus mark up options in the next year or so. And I'm sure everyone else here does as well so I'll quit talking about wanting one!
I wouldn't rule out a MacSlate at some point. A sort of a touch tablet with advanced computing skills.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Quote:
Definitely.
Only one drawback - then .....

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out a MacSlate at some point. A sort of a touch tablet with advanced computing skills.

running Win7 (equiv) or Linux ?

whatever, it needs to be versatile in what it can do and how the user can interface with it .... plus battery-life
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Possible for sure. I think we'll see Windows 7, Android (or Chrome) and maybe Web OS tablets before a Mac slate though.

In any case, I'm sure the Mac slate would be super expensive. I'm hoping for something more $500-800 that's not a full on computer. Just a regular folder/file system and beyond that ipad like abilities to display e-books, pdfs, word documents etc. on bigger screen.