Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No changes to partially read - the arrows should still be present.

Check the 'Recently Read' Section to confirm the books you expect to see are listed, and remember that the books need to be in the same location that calibre expects to find them. If you've added a book to the Kindle's documents folder outside of calibre, it won't be listed.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
FoolforBooks
FoolforBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
No, all the mbp and tan files were picked up with Fetch Annotations, and they are all merged correctly into the Calibre database. The catalog I created yesterday under .45 had little diamonds in front of the partially read books. The catalog I created today under .46 has none. The check marks are there, but the diamonds disappeared.

Did you mean Recently Added --I don't know where the Recently Read section is --in the catalog? the database?

And I've added all books with Calibre in the default subdirectory structure.
FoolforBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Recently Read' is a Section in the catalog, added along with 'Recently Added'. When you click 'View Sections List' on the Kindle, you should see it listed just after Recently Added. It uses the same data as the little diamonds displayed in the various lists.

Have you by chance had a hard reset on the Kindle recently? If the clock is wrong, then the time comparisons will fail.

G
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
FoolforBooks

Time is correct, created catalog under 0.6.46, and no recently read section either. I'll reset and do the whole process again, though, just to be sure.

Edited:

Checked: Restarted Kindle from Menu, Settings, Menu
Deleted prior catalog
Opened Calibre, attached Kindle
Fetched Annotations
Detached Kindle
Created Catalog
Attached Kindle and Sent to Device.

No Recently Read section, no diamonds/arrows, but data all correct in Calibre database, and all books had been sent (on prior versions) to Kindle from Calibre in Author/Title subdirectory structure while attached via usb.

Last edited by FoolforBooks; 04-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
GRiker

@FoolforBooks: One more thought about this ...
For the Recently Read section to be included, and the triangles marking books currently being read, it's necessary for the Kindle to be connected while the catalog is being built in order to fetch the most recent bookmarks. That, and the clock on the Kindle being in sync with the computer, are the key factors.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 04-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
FoolforBooks

@GRiker, well that explains it. I had just fetched annotations to get the latest data, but disconnected so I could read while the catalog was cooking. It takes more than 30 mins for me, and I get bored waiting for it. I may just forgo the Recently Read and arrows. I add many books, and need to make a new catalog every other day or so.

I think you might be a little concerned about that clock business. If you read what international users say in the forum, they are having difficulty with their telcoms having the right time. Some are only 1 hour off, and others are GMT instead of local time. As far as I know, there is no way to correct the clock in the Kindle. People would have to make their computers agree with Kindle. I know I wouldn't bother --would affect too many other programs, emails, etc. But, they will just have to give up this option. Not a problem, I wouldn't even have noticed it wasn't there if I hadn't seen it the day before.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #22
GRiker

@FoolforBooks: A difference of an hour doesn't matter, but if the Kindle clock has reset to 1970 after a crash, that's a problem. For Recently Read, I use the 'last modified' timestamp on the .mbp file to learn when the book was last accessed. The code is looking for the last 30 days of books read. So the one-hour difference doesn't matter.

It is in fact possible to change the Kindle clock with a hack. This thread explains how to do it.

Thanks for the followup.

G