Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #31
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have emailed Fictionwise many times about allowing reader reviews, and they are not interested. This is why I started my own blog...
That's interesting--I bought a short story from Fictionwise (I know they have a rating system). I went there specifically for the story because I had read the author before (Jim C. Hines.) Of COURSE, I had to look around; it's a bookstore! But the lack of reviews pretty much shut the door for me. I don't like mysterious "ratings" because that doesn't tell me very much. I know that Fictionwise only publishes pre-published books and stories, but you know how it is. You kind of need a bit more info--what is the story about, does it dead-end, and so on.

I find I tend to spend more time at/on sites that have reviews. I found it interesting when my books went up on B&N and I started trolling some of my favorite books--hardly any reviews at all. I'm guessing that might change if they draw more of the ebook crowd since a lot of us e-bookers are online all the time anyway. (I'm not sure that B&N draws a lot of people to their site--rather they do most of the current business through stores--just a guess not a scientific poll.)

I was pretty happy that Smashwords had a review features and samples as does Kindle. Neil is right--for any book those are pretty important tools.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #32
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
This line on your site, Bear, is not a request so much as an invitation. A happy reader should want to encourage others to share the experience:

***If you read and like any of the books, it helps the author tremendously if you leave a thoughtful review. It’s a good way to “give back” on these promo deals***

Do it folks! A book is a private communication between its author and its reader. The relationship is much closer, perhaps more profound, than you realise. It's a two way street. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #33
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
An add to the above ... a review needn't be some kind of heart-wrung, cleverly worded endorsement. The best books are written with humble simplicity; so are the best reviews. A single paragraph from a reader can encourage or discourage. Readers are the folks that make or break our work -- and that's the way it should be. So, speak up! Please!! How can we get it right if you don't? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #34
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***Can I ask a question of you Neil? As a publisher, how can you offer books so inexpensively?***

Hi, Michael. We started to offer digital versions of our paperbacks when we launched in 2002. At the time, ebook reading was so rare -- and mostly on PC or laptop screens -- that we looked upon them as promotional tools. Invariably, a reader would get tired of reading at the desk, unable to take his PC to bed, and come back for the paperback. Low prices and freebies made sense.

Cheers. Neil
Thanks Neil - that makes a lot of sense in terms of the evolution of your business, and your pricing strategy.

MFS
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #35
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Bless your heart for even bringing up the subject of how to choose self published works to read. Because the technical quality of self published books can vary so wildly, reading excerpts is the best way to judge whether it was written by someone who can competently use his or her native language. Then, of course, there are reader recommendations. The voice of experience is invaluable. I have been selling my novels from my website for a few years now, and I include testimonials from readers so potential customers can at least see that other people liked what they got from me. Also the first book in my series is a free ebook. I do this precisely because I am not some well known author annointed by a traditional publisher. This way people can judge for themselves whether I'm any good at my chosen craft and then if they like my stories.

Picking out reading material is tough, and I commend your interest in browsing self published selections. It gives me hope. I'd like to comment that I don't find traditional publishers to be much help in the delivery of quality fiction. Yes, the writing will be proofread, but I have found numerous popular books to be meandering bores of which I easily could have edited out 100 to 300 pages.

I'd also like to make the point about the comments about bad self published works that contain endless spelling and grammar mistakes. I don't think the writers published them this way because of arrogance. I think they most often have no idea that there are technical errors. They've read their works and thought they were fine. They may not even be aware of spell check. (If any of you have ever had a job where you screen resumes, you will know that it is painfully clear that a huge segment of the population is entirely unaware of spell check.)
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #36
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
(If any of you have ever had a job where you screen resumes, you will know that it is painfully clear that a huge segment of the population is entirely unaware of spell check.)
Ditto for emails.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote