Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
No, it´s a CYBOOK!!!

I got my Cybook yesterday and it was love at first sight. I´ve read a lot about the Cybook lately, but finally hoding it in my hands was quite an experience. In fact, it was also an experience to carry it around today. Especially because of the reactions of other people. So here are some impressions of my first day with my Cybook.

In the morning, I had a meeting with a business associate. I was right in time, he let me wait. He always does. Normally I would be pissed, at least a little, but with my Cybook in my bag having to wait was the best thing to happen. I was reading the first pages of Dracula when he entered the room. He told me the papers I came for were just about to be ready. Looking at my Cybook on the table, he said “Oh, I almost forgot to tell you, there are 2 meetings in December. You may just put the dates in your palm. It´s December 4th and…”
“Oh, that´s not a palm. It´s a Cybook, it´s an e-….”.
“Sure. Let´s see, it´s December 4th and 10th.
“No, er, I cannot put any dates in here.”
“Oh, you want to charge the battery in my office for a few minutes?”
“No, thanks. In fact, the battery is charged. It´s a Cybook, it´s for reading.”
“As I always say: Those mini notebooks are a mess. Never work as they should.”
“It´s not a NOTEbook, it´s a Cybook, a device for reading.”
“Sure it is. Wait. What? You can only read, not write?”
“Yes, it´s like a library for your pocket, it carries up to 160 books.”
Now he really looked horrified. “Who the hell would buy such a thing?”

When I arrived at work some hours later, my colleague and our secretary were talking about a current project. I opened my bag and – with a huge smile – put the Cybook on the table. “What´s this?”, the secretary asked. “Oh, you finally got your new toy”, my colleague said before I could answer the question. I had told him I´ve bought an ebook reader so he could guess. “Toy – Oh, I see!”, the secreatary said. “My nephew has so much fun with his Nintendo. He´s playing all the time.”
“Well, actually it´s not a Nintendo, it´s a Cybook”, I tried to explain.
“Cybook, Nintendo – isn´t it all the same? But I thought it was more for, er, teenagers. So what games are you playing on it?”.
“What games?” I felt somehow exhausted. “Well”, I said , “The game´s called Bram Stoker´s Dracula. Your highscore depends on how many secreataries´ heads you cut off in 5 minutes.” My colleague couldn´t stop laughing.

You see, Germany is not quite ready for ebook readers. I´m glad I found this site and its fora. You make me feel less “alien”

Best regards
ravenne
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
heeheehee !! i sympathise with you ravenne, in france not many people know about ebooks yet either (i'm doing my best to change that, one demo at a time...). i've never had a conversation quite so frustrating as yours though ! usually mine go more like this :
"what is that ?"
"it's a cybook." (or sometimes : "it's an eb1150." but in that case i just skip directly to the next line, since the chances of anyone knowing about that are zero to negative.)
"a what ?"
"a liseuse, an ebook."
"hey ?"
"it's like an ipod, but for books."
"aaaaaah ! ok. so how does it work ?"
(etc.)

but i'll remember about your game, in case i ever do have a conversation like that.

welcome to outer space with all the other aliens.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL!!! Such a funny story!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, and never mind, Ravenne...........there are plenty of people here in the states that wouldn't know an e-book reader if it hit them in the face.

I"m sure you'll feel very at home here in no time!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
“What games?” I felt somehow exhausted. “Well”, I said , “The game´s called Bram Stoker´s Dracula. Your highscore depends on how many secreataries´ heads you cut off in 5 minutes.” My colleague couldn´t stop laughing.

:r ofl:

Good one!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
+1 for the use of the word "fora.'

iPod for books - best explanation I've heard so far
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Hehe, the time my Cybook arrived I had already explained to everybody who wanted to know (and to those how didnt want to know) what a Cybook is, that i am going to get one, how it works and how amazing it will be... nobody had to think twice what it was when i finally got it - I guess most of them where relieved not to hear me being excited about the soon to come device anymore

btw, ravenne your new device should have 512mb of internal memory (not 64mb like the old devices) - that means your library can hold more than 1000 books, not "only" 160
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

My mom hated the Kindle She wants the feel of a real book. NO ONE at work was excited about it and when I use in public (i.e. dentist office, waiting to see a show) no one has asked me about it.

Guess Vegas really is apathetic.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I had a waitress ask me if it was a plaque. I wanted to say, "Yes, I won an award and if I hung it on the wall nobody would see it." Instead I told her about the wonders of e-books.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Guess Vegas really is apathetic.
If it doesn't have flashy lights and beep in Vegas it isn't important.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I had a waitress ask me if it was a plaque. I wanted to say, "Yes, I won an award and if I hung it on the wall nobody would see it." Instead I told her about the wonders of e-books.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
i have two colleagues who ordered the cybook after trying mine!
there are more 'aliens' out there...
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
iPod for books - best explanation I've heard so far
I use the iPod example to explain ebook formats
  • "you know how iPod music is one format and then there is mp3, and wma?"
  • "ya, ok"
  • "so for eBooks it is the same, there is Mobipocket, Kindle, eReader, etc. I picked Cybook because it reads Mobipocket and I can get those books at lots of eBooks stores"
  • "Oh, so you get those online? How much do the books cost?"
  • and on it goes.
Somehow comparing to music makes it all OK to my Victims, ummm, I mean Listeners.

I think I may have sold a Cybook today with just verbal descriptions. I was dropping my son off and didn't expect to stay long so didn't bring my Cybook with me. Of course then I started to talking to the teacher about books and the fact that I only read books on my Cybook now... thanks to iPod she understands the concept of different eBook formats and thinks her brother would love to get one for Christmas. There is a chance her Mother might get one in the future too.

Last edited by Justy; 10-30-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hey, at least they haven't asked you if it's a Kindle.

I've had three people so far see me reading on my Sony Reader stop and ask me if it's a Kindle.

I just want to ask, "Does it look that ugly to you?!"

Sigh.

But like Zelda, I restrain my impulse and just "sell" the idea of ebooks.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 AM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, at least they haven't asked you if it's a Kindle.

I've had three people so far see me reading on my Sony Reader stop and ask me if it's a Kindle.

I just want to ask, "Does it look that ugly to you?!"

Sigh.

But like Zelda, I restrain my impulse and just "sell" the idea of ebooks.
Hater

That's actually the first thing that I thought when I first saw the thread title... that someone asked her if it's a Kindle.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if all ebook readers were referred to as Kindle because of the Oprah effect just like all building blocks are pretty much Legos, all correction liquids are White-Out, and all portable cassette players are Walkmans?

::runs off thread::