Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
thgie
thgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Terminal Email Client

Does anybody know of a email client I could use right away in kterm/kual? Does anybody know where I could find some proper precompiled mutt or alpine?

Best regards
thgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Debian
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
attached is mutt. alpine complained about a 'symbol lookup error' in /usr/lib/libssl so i don't know about that one. you should extract it to /mnt/us/extensions and use it like the export.log file says to include the other libraries. i am assuming you are going to use ssh to run this? if you make some kind of stand alone email tool with a KUAL button, please share!

Included libraries so alpine works now. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip mutt.zip (1.32 MB, 167 views)
File Type: zip alpine.zip (3.40 MB, 176 views)

Last edited by brianinmaine; 09-06-2013 at 01:10 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
re: 'symbol lookup error' in /usr/lib/libssl, the on board one must be a bit too ancient.
Symbol detection isn't a feature of the extraction script sadly.

However: to Fix:

You could grab the specific "libssl" for wheezy, as outlined in the repos dependency tracker here:
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/alpine
which is this one:
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libssl1.0.0

extract the relevant lib from http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool...1e-2_armel.deb
and dump it in ./lib

the order of the LD_LIBRARY_PATHs will take care of the precedence cascade, overriding the local one.

That should sort it for alpine. And all other apps that die in that annoying way.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll certainly keep that in mind. I don't really need either of these programs (I did get to try out your script , but the solution to problems is great! I need to learn a LOT more about library versions...

Thank you!

Last edited by brianinmaine; 09-06-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: included alpine in earlier post
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seem to recall adding a "Kindle-lib" extraction bit that did (I think) take copies of the libs that were already represented on the kindle but from the donor source.

Thus - if indeed I did write it like that - then the libssl.so.blah from ./export/alpine/kindle-lib would also be the newer file.

Not sure f I ever released that version. think I did.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I seem to recall adding a "Kindle-lib" extraction bit that did (I think) take copies of the libs that were already represented on the kindle but from the donor source.

Thus - if indeed I did write it like that - then the libssl.so.blah from ./export/alpine/kindle-lib would also be the newer file.

Not sure f I ever released that version. think I did.

Cheers
I don't have that part in the filechecker script, but I have seen that directory before somewhere? Ah, I have it in my bashrc from your previous help. I'd like to know how you could change the script to check for library versions? As this is a bit off topic, perhaps go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200017
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
thgie
thgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheesethgie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nice ongoing discussion and thanks for the bins. I followed the export instructions but I get a "Bus error". Any idea on that?

I'm a webdeveloper and don't know how hard it is to make a front ui/standalone app for emails. It would be really nice though. So far I'm quite comfortable with terminal apps.
thgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
twobob

ah right.
I'll have a quick look.

EDIT:

[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/alpine/bin; HOME=/mnt/us/extensions/alpine LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./alpine
Quote:
Creating subdirectory "/mnt/us/extensions/alpine/mail"
where Alpine will store its mail folders.
Alpine finished -- Closed empty folder "INBOX"
That one seems okay - Try adding the "HOME" prefix like shown here.
Would be simple to shove this in a KUAL KTERM wrapper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_595.png
Views:	307
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	110479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_596.png
Views:	302
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	110480  

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
twobob

Okay next up mutt.

don't know anything about it so...
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=149532&page=2

See how I go

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/mutt/bin; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./mutt -h

Quote:
Mutt 1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
usage: mutt [<options>] [-z] [-f <file> | -yZ]
mutt [<options>] [-x] [-Hi <file>] [-s <subj>] [-bc <addr>] [-a <file> [...] --] <addr> [...]
mutt [<options>] [-x] [-s <subj>] [-bc <addr>] [-a <file> [...] --] <addr> [...] < message
mutt [<options>] -p
mutt [<options>] -A <alias> [...]
mutt [<options>] -Q <query> [...]
mutt [<options>] -D
mutt -v[v]

options:
-A <alias> expand the given alias
-a <file> [...] -- attach file(s) to the message
the list of files must be terminated with the "--" sequence
-b <address> specify a blind carbon-copy (BCC) address
-c <address> specify a carbon-copy (CC) address
-D print the value of all variables to stdout
-d <level> log debugging output to ~/.muttdebug0
-e <command> specify a command to be executed after initialization
-f <file> specify which mailbox to read
-F <file> specify an alternate muttrc file
-H <file> specify a draft file to read header and body from
-i <file> specify a file which Mutt should include in the body
-m <type> specify a default mailbox type
-n causes Mutt not to read the system Muttrc
-p recall a postponed message
-Q <variable> query a configuration variable
-R open mailbox in read-only mode
-s <subj> specify a subject (must be in quotes if it has spaces)
-v show version and compile-time definitions
-x simulate the mailx send mode
-y select a mailbox specified in your `mailboxes' list
-z exit immediately if there are no messages in the mailbox
-Z open the first folder with new message, exit immediately if none
-h this help message
seems okay.

use " -F <file> specify an alternate muttrc file" I guess and you should be laughing?
What was the error?

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/mutt/bin; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LI
BRARY_PATH ./mutt -f /mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/home/root/mail/saved-messages
(screenshotted)

seems okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_597.png
Views:	289
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	110484  

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay next up mutt.

don't know anything about it so...
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=149532&page=2

See how I go

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/mutt/bin; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LI
BRARY_PATH ./mutt -h

seems okay.

use " -F <file> specify an alternate muttrc file" I guess and you should be laughing?
What was the error?
Great!
For some reason, mutt seems to have a big following.
(Maybe by the same group of people who love EMACS. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Great!
For some reason, mutt seems to have a big following.
(Maybe by the same group of people who love EMACS. )
No no no, people who love Emacs use Gnus or VM or Mew or any of the other $BIGNUM of Emacs mail clients.

People who love Emacs and are Richard Stallman use rmail. (This is an exaggeration -- it has more users than that -- but not by much.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
twobob

Filegrabber.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
FAILS=""
MAINEXPORTDIR="/mnt/us/export"
TESTUSRLIB="/usr/lib/"
TESTLIB="/lib/"
BASEUS="/mnt/base-us/"

# fail on missing victim
if [ -z ${@} ]
then
  echo "hmm I need a victim...  usage: filechecker <binary_file>"
exit 1
fi

# fail on missing victim
if [ ! -e ${@} ]
then
  echo "hmm I cannot find:  ${@}    - you sure? check the file exists."
exit 1
fi

FILES=$(readelf -d ${@} |awk -F\[ ' /Shared library/ {print $2}' |  cut -d"]" -f1) 
BINARY=$(basename ${@})
EXPORTDIR="${MAINEXPORTDIR}""/""${BINARY}"
mkdir -p $EXPORTDIR/bin
mkdir -p $EXPORTDIR/lib
mkdir -p $EXPORTDIR/kindle-lib
cd $EXPORTDIR

# copy the binary we are interested in
cp -f ${@} "${EXPORTDIR}/bin/${BINARY}"
echo "copying ${@} to ${EXPORTDIR}/bin/${BINARY}"

LIBCOUNT=$(ls -al /lib/* | wc -l)
USRLIBCOUNT=$(ls -al /usr/lib/* | wc -l)
TOTCOUNT=$(ls -Ra1d /* | wc -l)
echo "Searching ${USRLIBCOUNT} user libs, ${LIBCOUNT} libs, ${TOTCOUNT} extended dirs"

for file in $FILES
do echo
MATCH=0
echo $file

#LOOSERESULTS=$(find / -iname '*'"$file"'*')
FASTLIBRESULTS=$(find /lib -iname '*'"$file"'*')

for result in $FASTLIBRESULTS
do
if [[ "${result:0:5}" == $TESTLIB ]]; then
echo "kindle supported at $result"
# do copy the native stuff
cp -f ${result} $EXPORTDIR/kindle-lib/${file}
MATCH=1
break
fi
done

if [ "$MATCH" == "1" ]; then
echo "/lib support detected"
continue
fi

FASTUSRLIBRESULTS=$(find /usr/lib -iname '*'"$file"'*')

for result in $FASTUSRLIBRESULTS
do
if [[ "${result:0:9}" == $TESTUSRLIB ]]; then
echo "kindle supported at $result"
# DO copy the native stuff ????   
# Have to check this actually gets the right "native equivalents" when I get a chance
cp -f ${result} $EXPORTDIR/kindle-lib/${file}
MATCH=1
break
fi
done

if [ "$MATCH" == "1" ]; then
echo "/usr/lib support detected"
continue
fi

EXACTRESULTS=$(find / -iname '*'"$file")

for result in $EXACTRESULTS
do
#echo "result:0:13= ${result:0:13} result= $EXPORTDIR/lib/${file}"
if [[ "${result:0:13}" == $BASEUS || "${result}" == $EXPORTDIR/lib/${file} ]] ; then

# dont bother with duplicates or exports
continue
fi

echo "non native result "${result}

cp -f ${result} $EXPORTDIR/lib/${file}
# just copy the first non-native instance for now...
MATCH=1
break
#fi
done

# we got this far
if [  "$MATCH" == "0"  ]; then
FAIL="$FAIL""${file} "
fi
done

#remove empty lib dir
if [[ "$(ls -1 $EXPORTDIR/lib | wc -l)" == "0"  ]] ; then
rmdir $EXPORTDIR/lib
fi 

#remove empty bin dir if we really screwed up
if [[ "$(ls -1 $EXPORTDIR/bin | wc -l)" == "0"  ]] ; then
rmdir $EXPORTDIR/bin
fi 

#report failures
if [  "$FAIL" != ""  ]; then
echo "Failure of some files: $FAIL"
echo "Failed files that have no source for export are: $FAIL" >> $EXPORTDIR/failure.log
echo "Your binary wont work without them, please attempt to locate a copy of them and put them on your device then export again" >> $EXPORTDIR/failure.log
else
touch $EXPORTDIR/export.log
echo "Export complete at $EXPORTDIR ensure you run $BINARY like: cd $EXPORTDIR/bin; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./$BINARY" | tee $EXPORTDIR/export.log
fi

EDIT:
hmmm... needs reworking to move the FASTUSRLIBRESULTS kindle-lib results section into the EXACTRESULTS section I think. This is just ripped straight off an old device.
I'll check at some point. one day. Or someone else can.

could do with testing probably, but it's one of the iterations I used at some point.

Cheers.

EDIT:
REQUIRES! READELF!!! (forgot this was not included natively)

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Thank you for 'filegrabber'. The other script didn't get all the libs, so I cheated and used ldd. Your way seems better! Also I only found 'eu-readelf' in Debian so I changed your script to match.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
twobob

nice

I was going to grab it off my device but I noticed on the "KUAL - addons, post #3"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1360702225

Hope that helps.

oh and note: since I call it like readelf (no ./ or folders) readelf's locations must be included in your $PATH locations.