Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Good Scientific Non-Fiction books?

I am looking for a good scientific non-ficiton book.

Even if they are theories about a civilization or anything.

I am up for anything.

Archeology anything.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Here's a good start:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62517
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Ah very good. didn't see that. Thank you kind sir.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
A couple thoughts

A few suggestions:

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. You may have read and/or heard of this one anyway, but it's still a really neat book - even if I don't agree with all of his ideas myself. It tries to answer the fundamental question: why did some civilizations(i.e., European) enjoy such technological superiority over the other cultures and societies they encountered(and conquered)? Or, to put it a little differently, why did Charles the Fifth's men take the Inca Atahualpa prisoner instead of the other way around?

Another neat one along the same lines is Plagues and Peoples by William Hardy McNeil. I just read this one myself recently. Basically the author argued(it was written in the 1970s) that the impact of epidemic disease on history had been greatly underestimated and might explain, among other things, the fall of the Roman Empire.

If you're a nerd like me and you enjoy reading textbooks(admittedly, not everyone does), consider this book on cell biology - nice introductory book that covers the whole deal. Neat stuff if you are so minded.
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
rock
Addict

Actually I never heard of the Gun Germs and Steel before. Must check that out.

I read so many psychology text books it is not funny. I never liked history text books though, or at least I never really found a good one.

I still remember my American History teacher in high school ( he never used the text much) always say you can't trust text books often because they are written by the winner, or have a twist. I learned a lot in his class.

I used to read a bunch of science text books when I was a kid as I was planning to follow that path later on, but decided to go into IT for now. though I hated biology in High school, but I was a freshman lol. Physics, Chemistry, and geology and stuff appealed to me more.
Advert