Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
@jswinden: I disagree and calling these devices garbage is uncalled for. I've been reading on devices like this for many years. 800x400 on a 7 inch screen is actually quite good. Please refrain from starting the e-ink vs. LCD debate in this thread. There are likely 100 others you can do that in.
I agree. But if it's 800x400, is the size different from the JE100 (which is 800x480)?

And kwisatz's post got me thinking, what would be my ideal backlit ereader? Need to ponder this...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #17
Tekka
Tekka began at the beginning.

Device: w1060
Hey Coldsun thanks for your amazing reviews, they are helping me pick out the perfect device.

I'm really interested in buying this device but im having problems getting a straight answer from wirelession. I'm thinking about getting this device with GPS from electroworld but i am concerned about the first batch of units.

In your review you said that the device only detected 128mb RAM so i emailed wirelession and this is what they said

1. How much RAM does the unit have? I read the manual and it says 256MB but I have read reviews that say Windows CE only detects 128MB?

"--------the RAM is 128~130M for User, but in total it is actually 256M, 126M is used by the built in OS which the MID does not tell in the property."

2. Does the sample unit include all the accessories and is the same quality as the final production unit?

"-----------Now we actually have come to the mass productions so the next batch we will ship it include all the accessories such as SD, Charger, cable etc. but there will not be a final as we will updating the FW always for new features, the FW is ready for user."

Wirelession also sent my questions to their US distributer and this is what he had to say

"Lencho Lee forwarded your email to me .The issues you have seen on mobileread are fixable by updates except for the mem which will be bumped up on the newer units."

I was confused by this reply so i emailed him back asking

Im a bit confused about the Ram issue. The current units only have 128mb ram? The newer units will have 256mb ram? Is this because of the firmware or is it because they decided to add more ram?

"They misqouted the ram as far as we can tell.And i would make sure they bump it up on any new samples,This I can tell you.Lencho Lee is the most honest trader I have found in China..he wont lie to you"

This only made me more confused, so the units they are selling now only have 128mb ram and the next batch will have 256mb? ARGHHH I really want to buy this unit now so I have something to read my comics on when I go on my vacation trip 2 weeks from now....

Coldsun you mentioned that you were sent a new firmware that might explain the RAM issue. Any chance the update bumped it up to 256mb? Im really hoping this is the case so i can go ahead and order the A81 from E-World...

I hope you find out the answer soon so I can buy the device before my Dec 15 trip...
Tekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #18
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree. But if it's 800x400, is the size different from the JE100 (which is 800x480)?

And kwisatz's post got me thinking, what would be my ideal backlit ereader? Need to ponder this...
It is 800x480. Just a typo. Fixed it. I guess I was tired. Hehe!

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-01-2009 at 08:42 AM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Coldsun,

Where can I download the Firmware update?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
It is 800x480. Just a typo.
I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

@Tekka: Thanks for your kind words about the review. Let me tell you what I have discovered so far about the memory.

When using WinCE, you can go to the Control Panel, and choose SYSTEM. On that screen the very first tab reports the current memory available to the device. When looking at this device, it reported like 130,000 (128MB). I thought to myself, that isn't right. It should be 256MB shouldn't it? So then I went to two other devices that are definately 128MB (my SmartQ7 and the W1010 I have here for another review). Know what they said? 64MB.

The conclusion I have come up with is that Eletroworld is absolutely correct. The device partitions half of the available memory for the operating system itself. So although it says 128MB in the Control Panel, it is actually 256MB.

Now, my belief is that the trouble with web browsing and internet explorer on W1060 is not due to the hardware itself, but the firmware. It is definately workable, as you simply need to go into control panel and adjust the memory available to programs vs memory used for storage. If you are doing regular browsing (not youtube or pages that are heavily coded), you won't have any problems, especially if you only keep one browser window open. I think they will fix this issue very soon.

I also agree with Ben, that Lencho Lee is a very good guy and works hard to make sure his customers are happy. Alex over at Eletroworld is the same kind of person and we are all lucky we have some good reps over there to help us out.

Hope this helped!

@imaredr: Talked to Lencho last night and WitsTech is asking that we hold off on the firmware until mid December. They said they have a major update we can have then with many improvements. I know, its a wait, but according to Kathy at WitsTech, the screen rotation utility will be included as well. I'm also told the Android implementation is close.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-01-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
Tekka
Tekka began at the beginning.

Device: w1060
Thx soooo much for clearing that up Coldsun, I will be placing my order later today so hopefully it won't take longer than 2 week to get to LA

OH also since you mentioned that you read comics I really reccomend this software that I use to read all my comics with. I think its the best I've ever used and the only one I can find that has the unique feature of automatically creates a zoom bubble when you click on a text bubble.

It's called Comic Reader Mobi

http://comicreader.mobi/

They have a Windows Mobile version that is compatible with WinCE as long as .net is installed

Here is an older free version that I found, it lacks alot of the new features and performance but was wondering if you could give test on the W1060 to see if it will even load a comic properly...

http://sharebee.com/69e84821

thx
Tekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #23
Ndiddly
Ndiddly began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hey Coldsun.....

thanks for spending the time to answer back in such detailed.

appologies for the confusion between the Archos 7 and the W1060. I was indeed describing the issues of web browsing (although somewhat cleared up in more recent replies to others (your doing a sterling service for all us MID virgins!!)) on the W1060. However i was describing the expensiveness of the Archos 7 when having to buy add on apps. Do you know if there is a way around this for the Archos 7? Are you a fan or have an opinion of the Archos 7?

As you can probably tell i am torn between 3 (maybe more with the Comangi Webstation and Inkia 500) MID's. The Archos 7, SmartQ V7 (why not its nearly the same price as the Q7) and the W1060. i like the large screen as im probably going to end up getting a nice smaller screen phone device on my next phone contact. So hard!! any further opinion on which one is always welcome

The thing about internet poker is that i want to play real money. Some of the large poker room have no-download tables that you can play real money on. they aresupposed to work with some phones and also play using Java on IE higher than 6 (i think). Is this possible with any of the devices mentioned above?? i must say, this is becoming a bit of a sticking point. Wish i could just get my hands in one - but dont want to make the wrong call. Aaarrggghhhhhhh

Many thanks for all your help.
Ndiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
@Tekka:
@imaredr: Talked to Lencho last night and WitsTech is asking that we hold off on the firmware until mid December. They said they have a major update we can have then with many improvements. I know, its a wait, but according to Kathy at WitsTech, the screen rotation utility will be included as well. I'm also told the Android implementation is close.
OK, no problem. I can certainly wait. I thought that it was out already and I missed it. I finally found someone with a white Cyberus, so I went and got one. It came yesterday so I am playing with that.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
akd
akd began at the beginning.

Device: Google G1
Coldsun, thanks for your reply I really appreciate your response!
akd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #26
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
hmmm some thoughts:

screen rotation... can try to google for free utils from "xda dev". though for windows mobile, many of the system calls are CE.
this?
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=1197

does Adobe Reader 2.5 work? can download from adobe. allows reflow.

haali reader should allow config to EN, I use it on my phones.

how's the touch? my Q7 is horribly jumpy and stiff, unlike the winmo phones...

cheers!
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #27
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
the mobile device market is literally exploding with new devices
That can't be good - not only will it damage the devices, but it's got to be a serious danger to anyone in the vicinity of the market.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #28
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Quote:
That can't be good - not only will it damage the devices, but it's got to be a serious danger to anyone in the vicinity of the market.
LOL.

@serwei: I'll try some of the things you suggested. Question - is there an English version of Haali I can download? I couldn't find it anywhere, but it looked like a nice little reader and I would like to test it.

The touch on this device is very responsive, much better than my Q7. It feels like using my iPod Touch. No pushing hard to get it to work, no touching twice because it didn't touch the first time.

As an eBook Reader alone the device is awesome. If they can fix the IE problems on the device it will be a hard device to beat. If they can get a functional version of Android on the device, with Market access, it will be even better.

One thing I forgot to mention in the review, and I'm going to add it right now, is the awesome METAL stand built into the back of the device. Very solid and very handy.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #29
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Thx cold for your excellent review as always very informative but I went ahead and bought the Asus T91 and loving it, I mostly use it for ebook reading (PDF's, Mobi's, Lit's, Kindle PC) with no problems. On another note had an email from Eletroworld, my Q7 is on its way from his vacation in China, finally!!!!
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #30
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
How's the touch screen accuracy on your T91? I had two T91MTs and sent both back to Amazon because it was impossible to draw a straight line, from edge to edge, using the stylus and ruler.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote