Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Trial by Franz Kafka 15 20.27%
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky 8 10.81%
Persuasion by Jane Austen 4 5.41%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 8 10.81%
The Picture (or Portrait) of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 12 16.22%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 11 14.86%
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edward Abbott 6 8.11%
Orlando by Virginia Woolf 6 8.11%
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo 4 5.41%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I too decided to skip this month. I'm currently reading the new John Irving - Last Night on Twisted River. It's great so far. Also have a Dickens part way done and a list of to-reads.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #77
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And I too have decided to skip Kafka.

I've tried. Really..

But I've got too many other books on the Kindle that are more fun and readable.

Charlie Chan Omnibus, Truman, My Life in France and Swords Against Death.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #78
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
I gave up as well, It may of been the translation, but I could not "plod" my way through it.
I am looking forward to reading the comments about it and see if it can re-interest me. It is only an "archive click" away.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #79
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What I want to know is. are you truly reading it, apparently reading it or deferred reading it?

That is a very important question... but before you answer, let me explain to you what each of them means.

I will start with truly reading it. To truly read it you must read it from start to finish. You must read every word, actually looking at the words as you read them. You must notice every sentence, how it starts and how it stops. Most of the sentences will start with an upper case word and end with a full stop. However, some sentences will try to trick you and end with a question mark or some times, but very seldom end with an exclamation point. You will of course see that some of the sentences contain quotations marks, which are generally super scripted above the line of text. These quotes will generally indicate when someone is saying something. What they are saying isn't important, although it could be. But, be sure that they did say something. Of course, no on truly reads this book. That is out of the question....

You may of course think that you want to truly read it. But, before you decided let me tell you of the other two methods of reading the book. Because you need to full information of each method to decide which method you will use. Each method has some advantages and some disadvantages.

=======

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #80
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
@pilotbob

I'm glad we read Kafka because I think I've given Dickens enough tries. Especially Oliver Twist, which I once forced myself almost halfway through before I gave up. He is unbearably boring to read.

Actually, I voted for Orlando, because I would really like to read it again and discuss it, but it got too few votes. Oh, well.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #81
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Not sure how,but I've generally glossed over the MR book club usually....and this caught my eye because I am a huge Kafka fan (I've already read this particular)...but generally,what I do enjoy most about participating in a book club,is often forcing myself to read through something-and usually what happens is I either don't finish it,or decide to look and see if there's something else the author has written that captures my interest...

And now I sit,looking at myself wondering...a THIRD book club...sheesh...and still on my list of things to do is finally do one of the seasonal reading challenges that I see my friend is hooked into on Goodreads...

Looking forward to the discussion-and going to re-read the book...after finishing the two books for this weeks book club meeting and author teleconference.

Happy reading !!!!
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I read half of The Trial and found that it sucked. It is the first book in a long time that I started and had no desire to finish.
I haven't even been able to get half way through it. It's just not clicking with me.

I may give it one more try, but....
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #83
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Come on Nemic, you can do it!! It's not a long book, one more heave!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #84
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm really dragging my feet on "The Trial," I haven't even downloaded it yet. I might pass this month.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #85
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm really dragging my feet on "The Trial," I haven't even downloaded it yet. I might pass this month.
You must read it. It's on the list.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #86
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
You must read it. It's on the list.

I read the first page. Does that count?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #87
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've just started and I find it really fascinating. It's not 'easy' as 'light' novels are, but its eerie and surreal atmosphere draws me in.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #88
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I read the first page. Does that count?
That's a different list: 1001 Pages to Read Before You Die. I haven't seen that one yet. I hope someone posts a link.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #89
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
OK, I'm stumped. Why so many votes for a book no one wants to read?

Or almost no one, anyway.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #90
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
OK, I'm stumped. Why so many votes for a book no one wants to read?

Or almost no one, anyway.
Hey! Don't lump me in with those guys. Mine didn't even get nominated!

To be honest I think it's one of those books like The Sound and the Fury that everyone wants to read, but it takes a lot of effort on the part of the reader.