Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Jeremy: we have guidelines about language. Please try to remember that this is an international forum and that we endeavour to preserve a sense of politeness and decorum. Also, that one can phrase one's point of view in language which is not crudely sexual but still conveys one's meaning.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #32
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Someone did, and in the most thoroughly despicable manner imaginable. On his short-lived TV show, Rush Limbaugh said, "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" He then displayed a picture of then thirteen year old Chelsea Clinton.
That's harsh. Shows like Saturday Night Live were also over-the-line mean to her as well. Poor thing, she did have one of the worst "awkward stages" I've ever seen, but she at least she grew out of it.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #33
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
I agree. The kids should be off-limits. The spouse also should be off-limits, unless they involve themselves in the fray.
This is very true and Sarah Palin should definitely not have opened things up by involving her own kids in the presidential race in the first place.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
I agree. The kids should be off-limits. The spouse also should be off-limits, unless they involve themselves in the fray.
I agree,, but in this case it was just SO juicy for the press they coudn't help themselves. Palin advocates abstinence programs, opposes condoms in schools, opposes sex education. Her unwed daughter gets knocked up at what... 17? Now, that kind of hammers home the inadequacy of her policy, and that failed policy could have negative impacts on teenagers across the country should it be realized.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #35
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I agree,, but in this case it was just SO juicy for the press they coudn't help themselves. Palin advocates abstinence programs, opposes condoms in schools, opposes sex education. Her unwed daughter gets knocked up at what... 17? Now, that kind of hammers home the inadequacy of her policy, and that failed policy could have negative impacts on teenagers across the country should it be realized.
How would the Republicans have reacted if one of the Obama girls was in the same situation? I can't imagine that they would have been kind.

BTW, I'm not saying that I approve of the maltreatment of Palin's daughters. I feel sorry for every politician's family (including Obama's). They all end up just being props.

Last edited by Superlucky; 10-07-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The policy is fair game, but the daughter should be kept out of the debate. The very fact of the pregnancy should by itself speak volumes about the inadequacy of the abstinence-only approach. People who can't make that connection aren't going to be persuaded by facts anyway, and keeping the daughter in the spotlight isn't being very kind to her.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #37
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
The policy is fair game, but the daughter should be kept out of the debate. The very fact of the pregnancy should by itself speak volumes about the inadequacy of the abstinence-only approach. People who can't make that connection aren't going to be persuaded by facts anyway, and keeping the daughter in the spotlight isn't being very kind to her.
See though, that's part of the issue. I don't recall anyone on the left putting Palin's daughters into the campaign. There weren't any big news stories about them that I'm aware of. There weren't even that many comics making jokes about them (at least not directly). Plus, when pundits like Keith Olbermann DID mention the Palin children it was to call out the idea of people using them as campaign fodder as a horrible, mean-spirited thing to do that they didn't deserve.

As far as I can tell, the only people who talked about Palin's kids were HER and her far-right buddies decrying the Obama campaign for things they don't appear to have done.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #38
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
See though, that's part of the issue. I don't recall anyone on the left putting Palin's daughters into the campaign. There weren't any big news stories about them that I'm aware of. There weren't even that many comics making jokes about them (at least not directly). Plus, when pundits like Keith Olbermann DID mention the Palin children it was to call out the idea of people using them as campaign fodder as a horrible, mean-spirited thing to do that they didn't deserve.
I'm not sure where you were during the campaign if you missed news stories about the Palins. Google "Palin's daughter pregnant" and you'll find hundreds of them. I read it in The New York Times. As for comedians, they all made lots of jokes about it; David Letterman, Bill Maher, Kathy Griffin and Dan Savage to name a few.

I don't think this is a Left/Right issue. It's a sleazy politician issue. All of them use their families as props and all of their families are punished for it.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I'm not sure where you were during the campaign if you missed news stories about the Palins. Google "Palin's daughter pregnant" and you'll find hundreds of them. I read it in The New York Times. As for comedians, they all made lots of jokes about it; David Letterman, Bill Maher, Kathy Griffin and Dan Savage to name a few.

I don't think this is a Left/Right issue. It's a sleazy politician issue. All of them use their families as props and all of their families are punished for it.
Exactly! But, since the press tend to lean toward the left, they are much more aggresive when it comes to the children of the Republican candidates. I will say, though, that once a candidate gets elected, the press tends to back off the kids as they did with the Bush twins. And as for the left, they had Biden's and Obama's families on the stage, too. However, if a negative issue came up, as it did with one of Biden's daughters, the media barely covered it and I didn't hear of any comedian picking it up for joke material. Unfortunately, you can't really talk fair game when it comes to the media and political coverage. It isn't equal or fair. As an Independent, it makes things very difficult.

Say what you will about Sarah Palin, she stood behind her daugther. If you have children, you know how hard it is to bring them up with the values you think are important when they are bombarded with so much outside "stuff" that isn't compatible. It wasn't like that when I was growing up. If it had been one of my daughters, I certainly wouldn't have hidden her in a corner but would have shown her the love and support that the Palins did. A lot of what you saw in the press was speculation and commentary that didn't do anyone any favors. Now, you have the young father of the girl's baby playing out his 15 minutes of fame (including a spread in Playgirl magazine) which to me, indicates his true character.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
If a candidate goes out of their way to make their family so integral to the campaign then they are the ones that open the door to the media commenting on the family, especially when said family provide such a brilliant example against one of the candidate's policies.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #41
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Exactly! But, since the press tend to lean toward the left, they are much more aggresive when it comes to the children of the Republican candidates.
The press lean to the left, who told you that then, fox news?

Quote:
I will say, though, that once a candidate gets elected, the press tends to back off the kids as they did with the Bush twins. And as for the left, they had Biden's and Obama's families on the stage, too. However, if a negative issue came up, as it did with one of Biden's daughters, the media barely covered it and I didn't hear of any comedian picking it up for joke material. Unfortunately, you can't really talk fair game when it comes to the media and political coverage. It isn't equal or fair. As an Independent, it makes things very difficult.
Wasn't the stuff with biden's daughter a lot older rather than something that was happening during the campaign?

I do agree with you that things aren't equal or fair, after all the previous government had to invade countries at random before people organised demonstrations against them, whereas now you have cable news doing the organisation this time round.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #42
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The press lean to the left, who told you that then, fox news?

Wasn't the stuff with biden's daughter a lot older rather than something that was happening during the campaign?

I do agree with you that things aren't equal or fair, after all the previous government had to invade countries at random before people organised demonstrations against them, whereas now you have cable news doing the organisation this time round.

I resent these comments. I make up my own mind based on my own observations. I have not belittled your intelligence nor made negative comments about your posts, please do not do the same to mine. Your viewpoints may differ from mine, but that is no cause to be snide. It is quite obvious from your posts that you tend to lean toward the liberal and that is fine, just as it is fine for me to stand firmly in the middle and to decide which way to lean based on the issues at hand.

Last edited by kazbates; 10-09-2009 at 12:07 PM.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To my mind, if a politician makes "family values" a political issue, then that makes THEIR family a "legitimate target" for the press when breaches of what that politician is propounding come to light. Especially when the family members are adults, as in this case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, I think that if a candidate makes family values a part of his or her campaign, then when that candidate does something that shows they don't live their values, then they deserve to be mocked and ridiculed. However, if a family member does something that is outside the values of the candidate, then it should still be off limits. I have had embarrassing moments with both my kids, but I don't have control over them.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #45
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To my mind, if a politician makes "family values" a political issue, then that makes THEIR family a "legitimate target" for the press when breaches of what that politician is propounding come to light. Especially when the family members are adults, as in this case.
It's the politicians who make it the issue, so it's still not fair to the kids. Joe Biden wrote stupid drug laws, not his daughter and Sarah Palin, not her daughter, promoted stupid ideas about sex education. It irritated me during the Bush years when gay rights groups kept going after Mary Cheney as if she was responsible for her father's policies.

Tags
funny, letterman, palin