Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #151
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
Where are you seeing this?
I have zero interest in the entry level Kindle but not only did they mention improvements at the event, the order page states:

15% faster page turns
New darker, hand-tuned fonts for easier reading
Yeah we already have that on our K4s. It turns out the K4 and 69 Kindle use the same firmware. It the same unit with nothing new internally.
The things he mention was included in the last firmware update that we user got a few months ago that included the KF8 compatibility.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #152
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
Where are you seeing this?
I have zero interest in the entry level Kindle but not only did they mention improvements at the event, the order page states:

15% faster page turns
New darker, hand-tuned fonts for easier reading
No new fonts. They worded that so it sounded like new fonts, but this photo from Amazon's web page clearly shows no new fonts.

And if you go to this page you will see that both the K4 from 2011 and the new K4 from 2012 use the same FW.

Kind of a rip off if you ask me, cleverly cloaked in marketing rhetoric.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-2012.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	91989  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #153
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
More storage??? Faster processor (or controller)???
No. Only a black bezel. I was hoping though. The storage is the same 2GB with 1.25GB available for books. Amazon just changed on the specs. So that means the Paperwhite has the same storage which isn't a problem for me.

I wonder if the blogs I read last night will make any corrections.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #154
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No new fonts. They worded that so it sounded like new fonts, but this photo from Amazon's web page clearly shows no new fonts.

And if you go to this page you will see that both the K4 from 2011 and the new K4 from 2012 use the same FW.

Kind of a rip off if you ask me, cleverly cloaked in marketing rhetoric.

ahh and 4.1.0 is what my kindle auto-updated to when I bought it in August. So, nothing new to see. That actually doesn't phase me particularly, as I am still on my honeymoon with my Kindle.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #155
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
ahh and 4.1.0 is what my kindle auto-updated to when I bought it in August. So, nothing new to see. That actually doesn't phase me particularly, as I am still on my honeymoon with my Kindle.
Your Kindle non-touch is a great device. However, I would be upset if I upgraded, or thought I was upgrading, from the current NT to the new NT and then discovered the only difference was the bezel color.

It is a lot cheaper to buy a can of flat black spray paint and a roll of painter's masking tape than pay for a new NT! (I'm kidding of course.)

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #156
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
A Paperwhite is pre-ordered as well as an 8.9" Fire HD.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #157
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
Paperwhite in 3G w/o special offers. Ordered a Marware leather cover in coral too. Expected 10/17.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #158
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Kindle PW No offers for myself and my wife. This will be my first Kindle device. I really hate that they don't support ePub and have boycotted so far in favor of other brands (including the first Sony that cost $350) but the screen and particularly the light really sold me. Kobo may cause me to return mine if it's screen is as good but my wife wants into the Amazon world (we are prime members already so like the free books too). Anyway, mine come around 10-11.

EDIT - changed order to ad supported and now delivery is 10-3.

Last edited by Greg G; 09-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #159
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I ordered a Kindle PaperWhite Wifi about 2 minutes after the site went live. Expected arrival date is October 2nd.

I then broke down and ordered the case because I like the idea of the magnetic closure that automatically wakes the Kindle when you open it...I won't even have to see the adds on the screensaver, haha.
Expected arrival of the black case is Oct. 11. I remember the Kindle Touch cases were a few weeks behind the Kindle as well.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #160
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
I would probably buy the paperwhite 3G Wi-Fi immediately if it was available here (.at/.de) as the built-in light would be very handy during the dark season. (Lighting in public transport leaves much to be desired.)

Last edited by ametzler; 09-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #161
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
The PW for me if and when it comes to Hong Kong.......but still happy with my K3 Not that fussed about the Fire options.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #162
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
I just ordered the paperwhite wifi. I been a nook user the past 3 years.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #163
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Planning on going for an 8.9" Fire HD. Still need to save some money, but it looks great for my needs.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #164
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
As nice as the Paperwhite seems, I hope I won't be buying any of these new models. I expect my K3 to last well into the next generation of Kindles and I won't replace it until it dies or at least until its battery life drops to some impractically short peried.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #165
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
As nice as the Paperwhite seems, I hope I won't be buying any of these new models. I expect my K3 to last well into the next generation of Kindles and I won't replace it until it dies or at least until its battery life drops to some impractically short peried.
Dwig

I felt the same way but now I'm glad that I upgraded to the touch. I am able to move around the book so much faster and more fluidly that it makes the reading experience more enjoyable.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote