Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
larisa0001
larisa0001 doesn't litterlarisa0001 doesn't litter

Device: PalmPilot
Best e-reader for Cyrillic text?

I realize that it may be better manners to start my own thread rather than hijack someone else's; so here goes.

I have a ton of public-domain e-books, mostly in .txt format. About half of them are in Russian, so one of my basic requirements for a reader is that it should be able to display Cyrillic text. I'm not really interested in DRM'd e-books, because I got burned on that once already; I've got a whole bunch of PalmReader-formatted books (*.pdb, encrypted with my credit-card number) that I cannot read on any other device. But if any of the existing e-readers can read encrypted *.pdb files, I'd prefer those.

Can some of the experts here recommend an e-reader? Based on my own cursory research thus far, I like the BeBook the best - but I'm not sure I fully know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook would certainly be an excellent solution, given the fact that it permits you to load your own fonts onto the machine. Load a set of Cyrillic fonts, and you're good to go.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am not a hundred percent sure, but I am pretty sure that the Jetbook supports Cyrillic text. It also supports .fb2 which seems to be the most popular ebook format for Russian books.

--
Bill
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I recommend jetBook - it has support for Russian fonts and it has Russian interface
Old 03-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
I'm sorry to be mannerless, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The CyBook would certainly be an excellent solution, given the fact that it permits you to load your own fonts onto the machine. Load a set of Cyrillic fonts, and you're good to go.
Would the same thing work for RTL fonts, e.g. arabic or hebrew?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
RTL needs special handling and no current readers (AFAIK) implement it for reflowable formats. It does work in Sony Reader's PDF viewer (if you embed the fonts) and possibly some other devices.
Actually now that I think about it, it might be possible RTL in EPUB works on the Readet...
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
RTL needs special handling and no current readers (AFAIK) implement it for reflowable formats. It does work in Sony Reader's PDF viewer (if you embed the fonts) and possibly some other devices.
Actually now that I think about it, it might be possible RTL in EPUB works on the Readet...
You can see the attached picture of my jetBook with Hebrew text on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jetBook_Hebrew.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	25454  
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Привиет Лариса,

I read books in Russian on my Cybook and My Sony 505. The Cybook is easy to put in the font you want and you can read it. On the Sony 505 you have to put it iinto PDF format before you put it on the reader with Open Office for example.

They both have a good screen. The Sony is better ergonomically. However, I find the Cybook more versatile with fontsizes (12) and font Families(about 15 you can put on the reader at one time).

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa0001 View Post
I realize that it may be better manners to start my own thread rather than hijack someone else's; so here goes.

I have a ton of public-domain e-books, mostly in .txt format. About half of them are in Russian, so one of my basic requirements for a reader is that it should be able to display Cyrillic text. I'm not really interested in DRM'd e-books, because I got burned on that once already; I've got a whole bunch of PalmReader-formatted books (*.pdb, encrypted with my credit-card number) that I cannot read on any other device. But if any of the existing e-readers can read encrypted *.pdb files, I'd prefer those.

Can some of the experts here recommend an e-reader? Based on my own cursory research thus far, I like the BeBook the best - but I'm not sure I fully know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Привиет Лариса,

I read books in Russian on my Cybook and My Sony 505. The Cybook is easy to put in the font you want and you can read it. On the Sony 505 you have to put it iinto PDF format before you put it on the reader with Open Office for example.

They both have a good screen. The Sony is better ergonomically. However, I find the Cybook more versatile with fontsizes (12) and font Families(about 15 you can put on the reader at one time).

hidari
jetBook support Russian fonts in regular TXT format so no need to convert it into PDF. As an additional feature you can use Russian<->English dictionary for words translation
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
larisa0001

hidari, I'm curious about the ergonomics issue - why do you think the Sony Reader is better ergonomically? I don't actually mind converting to PDF (as mentioned, my ebooks are TXT files so it's easy to convert them to any format), but I do have some significant repetitive-stress injury issues, so ergonomics is a big deal for me.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
hidari, I'm curious about the ergonomics issue - why do you think the Sony Reader is better ergonomically? I don't actually mind converting to PDF (as mentioned, my ebooks are TXT files so it's easy to convert them to any format), but I do have some significant repetitive-stress injury issues, so ergonomics is a big deal for me.

The Sony has buttons on the bottom left as well as on the right side to change pages. Also, The Sony can be turned to landscape mode for every format. The Cybook only for PDF format. However, as of April the Cybook will have epub and PDF reflow like the sony. Hopefully, it will be able to be viewed in Landscape mode as well from then.

Either way they are both good readers and easy for turning pages. Just an extra option or two on the Reader. I recommend both.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
larisa0001

Hmm, thanks! The Sony Reader is a lot cheaper than the other ones, at least on ebay, so I am highly tempted by that option. And is it easy to convert PDF files to whatever format it uses? Or does it read regular PDF files?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've got a whole bunch of PalmReader-formatted books (*.pdb, encrypted with my credit-card number) that I cannot read on any other device. But if any of the existing e-readers can read encrypted *.pdb files, I'd prefer those.
You can read your eReader ebooks on many device types, but not currently on Linux (and so not on EInk devices). There will be EInk devices supporting eReader DRM "soon". It is likely that EZ Reader (US Hanlin V3) will be one, but it may be worth waiting until the software is actually available before counting on it.

The other option, not legal in all places, is to use ereader2html to strip the DRM and then Calibre (say) to convert to LRF or ePub or MOBI. Then you choice of device is independent of eReader.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
larisa0001

Sigh... I am kicking myself for having spent that much money on DRM'd books that I can't read on the devices I want to read them on. I live in a place where circumventing copy-protection measures is illegal, so I cannot take advantage of the software that's available. (I am in law school, and I'd rather not do anything that would get me disbarred) But I do, thankfully, at least have the option of expressing my disapproval of the DMCA by not buying any more DRM-locked books.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Sigh... I am kicking myself for having spent that much money on DRM'd books that I can't read on the devices I want to read them on. I live in a place where circumventing copy-protection measures is illegal, so I cannot take advantage of the software that's available. (I am in law school, and I'd rather not do anything that would get me disbarred) But I do, thankfully, at least have the option of expressing my disapproval of the DMCA by not buying any more DRM-locked books.
At the risk of starting a thread that has been discussed many times here... you are finding out now, what a lot of people might find out in a few years when their kindles start breaking. They will find that they are limited to where and how they can read their books.

--
Bill
Closed Thread