Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
faniediv
faniediv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
2 instances of calibre

I have 2 huge calibre libraries 120gb and 55gb, each on a different removable disk.
It takes up to 4 minutes to swop between them (i7, 8gb ram)
Has anyone devised a method or trick to run 2 instances of calibre at the same time?
I'm hoping for a solution where calibre portable can be run separately or such.
faniediv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by faniediv View Post
I have 2 huge calibre libraries 120gb and 55gb, each on a different removable disk.
It takes up to 4 minutes to swop between them (i7, 8gb ram)
Has anyone devised a method or trick to run 2 instances of calibre at the same time?
I'm hoping for a solution where calibre portable can be run separately or such.
A Library swap time is the DB switching, not the size of the books contained.
Quantity of records, not disk size.

1) defrag the drive(s) before doing step 2
2) Run (at a minimum) Phase 1 of Library Maintenance to clean and compress the DB
3)Exclude the Library Folder from Active A/V scans (they have been scanned on the way in)
4) run a 64 bit OS (and Calibre) (IIRC Portable is 32bit only)

Consider using the CLI content server on the second Library (along with your browser) if all you want to do is Look.. You can send a book TO IT, from the current Library with a right-click 'Copy to Library"
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre contains code to explicitly prevent you from running multiple instances of the main calibre GUI at the same time on the same computer.

The potential to completely destroy your database due to simultaneous access violations is no joke.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-16-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clarify as per theducks' comment below
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to clarify
The CLI content server (which is read only to the Library) Can be run alongside the GUI

They do not even need to be using the same library (but you may need to use the --with_Library switch)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
faniediv
faniediv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Thanks for the advice.
I've now taken all 4 steps recommended by theducks. Library maintenance found some faults I've rectified.
There’s no discernible difference in time to load. Not sure if Trend Micro listen to me and exclude the folders
I’ll try the CLI content server once I figure out how!!
Thanks
faniediv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@faniediv - custom columns built from other columns are a common cause of slow start up times, depends on the template code. I've also known lots of complex column colour and column icon rules to effect start up times. And column template code that accesses the actual book folders should also be avoided.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by faniediv View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I've now taken all 4 steps recommended by theducks. Library maintenance found some faults I've rectified.
There’s no discernible difference in time to load. Not sure if Trend Micro listen to me and exclude the folders
I’ll try the CLI content server once I figure out how!!
Thanks
The CLI content-server uses the current Library AND the same content server profile as the GUI, By Default
All you need to do for a test, is Launch calibre-server.exe from the command prompt, then minimize the window.
The switches just override GUI preferences
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe" --port NNNN --with-library C:\Users\<hidden>\MainLib
Starts the Mainlib with a different port (from the GUI)