Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Cool Considering my next e-reader

All kind of e-readers are going on sale, and it is so tempting to just up and order the ones I have my eye on. But I am learning from experience to watch and wait. I was an early adopter with the Kobo Touch and that is an experience that is both good and frustrating at the same time.

I'm keeping my eyes on the mad Christmas rush and the results after the season and the anticipation is over.

I'm particulary, at this point, strongly leaning toward the Sony PRS-T1. With prices as low as they are I am having to sit on my hands on this one. Even if it means I have to wait a while longer, and pay more, I need to be certain that I'll be satisfied.

One thing still stand outs in the reviews of said device: I have seen customers on the Sony site complain that the plastic case "feels too cheap", and that it feels fragile.

Things I am looking forward to:

Being able to borrow e-books from the public library. Yes, I can do it with the Kobo, but it's always required use of windows software plugged into a computer. I don't use windows. Being able to, after registering, just wirelessly borrow a library book without leaving my house or asking my husband to take my Kobo to work, where he can use windows on his cubicle pc, isn't exactly convenient for either of us.

To me, the Sony seems like a "freer" device, but I want to make sure I personally am comfortable and certain.

Another I have considered, and is not completely off the table for said consideration, is the Kindle but I prefer epub format, so that makes me less inclined.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Its very thin, lightweight, and made of plastic (rather than metal)...I wouldn't call it "cheap" feeling, more thin plastic and light weight.

I think it feels more sturdy and better build quality than the kindle keyboard, and it doesn't have the flex that the kk has.

Definitely more freer than the kobo touch, I think the screen is even more white (than mine atleast) and there's a hint of fuzziness on the screen of the kobo touch that the Sony doesn't have. There's a hollow feeling on the plastic case of the kobo touch that the Sony doesn't have either, and the Sony feels lighter and easier in the (mine..) hands.

I know its continual praise for the Sony t1, but after owning all the current ones I think its the best available. The $99 price is a steal..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh nice to get an opinion from someone who has both. When my karma giving resets, I'll give ya some!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard

Guess what fell into my hands today?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
The Sony?!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
The Sony?!
yup! so far i love!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
From one T1 owner to another, ENJOY!!!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard

each day that goes by, and each new feature I discover, (I can *return* library books wirelessly too! Very good for when you've reached quota but oops! a hold comes in!) I am more and more thrilled.

The basic book management functions that this has make this my dream e-reader.

I do realize this plays mp3 files as well, but I keep forgetting that, because it never dawned on me that someone would want an e-reader to make noise, plus I have a sansa clip for my listening needs. What do long time Sony owners use the sound for?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
What do long time Sony owners use the sound for?
Audiobooks?
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Go for T1

I recommend you and everyone the Sony PRS-T1. For that price ($99) I think is the best. Unlike the others (Nook touch, Kindle touch, Kobo touch) the sony has landscape mode (the Kobo Touch has landscape mode for PDF files only, and neither the Nook or the Kindle have landscape mode), and you can hack your Sony so it can be a sort of tablet!! Plus it comes with a nice stylus so you can make handwriting (but the lines drawn are very thick, IMO). But it is all up to you, this is only a recommendation.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard

ahh didn't think of that. Cool!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You're welcome.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard

Indeed I second aldazo's recommendation, the T1 is perfect!